How's your nerves? SMFC vs KFC 22/4/23

1 hour ago, greenock saint said:

Heads up for parking on Saturday. After the Livingston game all the cars parked at top end of Murray st opp Main stand had parking tickets on their windscreen.

I noticed the last time I drove through to a game that the council (I assume) had put up event parking restriction notices on the surrounding streets, but the ‘next event’ section was blank. Not sure where they expect people to park, and not sure tickets would be enforceable if the ‘next event’ space remains empty.

As for the game, I have the usual feelings of dread ahead of a must-win match. Although I was convinced Livi at home was where we’d chuck it away, and we gave them a doing. Cliché, I know, but an early Saints goal would be very welcome!

I was watching the game on TV yesterday against Celtic. I noticed a couple of Killie guys getting substituted before half time. Neither looked injured, both looked a bit brassed off. 
 What are these boys like? Are the decent or duds? Is either likely to be back in the team for the Saints game or is McInnes unable to bring himself to even talk to them. 

16 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

I was watching the game on TV yesterday against Celtic. I noticed a couple of Killie guys getting substituted before half time. Neither looked injured, both looked a bit brassed off. 
 What are these boys like? Are the decent or duds? Is either likely to be back in the team for the Saints game or is McInnes unable to bring himself to even talk to them. 

Fraser Murray has been decent any time I've seen him but by all accounts had an absolute nightmare half hour yesterday.

Christian Doidge had one good season at Hibs but has looked poor for a couple of years now.

Couldn't have hand picked a better fixture. I read somewhere that Kilmarnock had the worst away record in Europe or something ridiculous. 16 league games for them on the road this season, 14 defeats, two draws. One of those draws being a snooze fest 0-0 at St Mirren Park in the reverse fixture of course. 

A third 0-0 draw in a row between the teams here would be absolutely fine and we'd all take that right now. Even given the goalkeeping hilarity at Tanndaice, Livingston are not going to beat Dundee United by eight goals...

Just. Don't. Lose. We won't, will we? No. 

1-1

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Well, we always knew it was going to come to this really. Could it ever have been any different?

A game with huge importance for both sides for very, very different reasons.

Kilmarnock come to Paisley off the back of a heavy defeat but the thankful avoidance of what at one point was looking to be an utter humiliation at the hands of Celtic. McInnes' Killie know how to play St. Mirren. They have picked two points up on the road all season, one of which was against ourselves in a match that anyone who watched would agree that they were the better side over the piece.

St. Mirren showed massively encouraging signs at Ibrox which is uncharacteristic before our defence absolutely collapsed in the last 10 which is really, really frustrating as we looked very comfortable in the second half indeed.

3 games ago and knowing the run of fixtures we faced - Livi (H), Hearts (A) and Rangers (A) - everyone would have snatched your hand off for two wins. We realistically felt we could get 3 points, hoped for 4 and couldn't bear getting our hopes up for 6, 7 or 9. Most of us after match 29 at Tannadice, felt we were definitely going to be looking for favours elsewhere by the time this rolled around, so it's nice to actually have it all in our own hands.

If we were trying to sneak into 6th, 8 points adrift of the field then I'd definitely be inclined to think that this match held no real significance for us other than prize money. Top six has become a bit of meme for St. Mirren and it honestly wouldn't bother me whether we made it and had nothing to play for in those last 5 games. We'd be essentially playing a set of dead rubbers either side of an imaginary line.

With the tightness of the league from 4th-7th though, it's massive for us. At least one of St. Mirren, Hibs and Livingston are going to qualify for Europe by virtue of league position this season and on Saturday, despite there only being 2 points between us and six games to go, one of those dreams will be finished for the season. Dead. Nothing they can do about it.

That's why this feels so important. Top six has been hyped up mercilessly by our own supporters and the press for years but that's not a reward in my eyes. The chance (first in my living memory) to see us in European competition is! The fact is though that we've not been good enough in the league for nearly 40 years to even get close to qualifying for European football on merit of a good season.

This for all intents and purposes, is likely to be a sell out. Kilmarnock will fill behind the goal with ease and would probably fill the other stand too if there was availability and a bunch of stupid c***s who don't get it will put on their shocked and offended faces on social media and be like 'why couldn't those Killie fans all show up at Rugby Park on Sunday instead of empty seats - those could've went to supporters who want to watch their team' as if they don't know the fucking multitude of reasons by now.

Anyway, I digress. 2-1 Saints but it will go to the wire. I'm jittery as f**k and it's not even halfway through Monday. I've not been like this since the Hibs game away when we stayed up in the championship in 2017.

I think that everyone knows that St Mirren are destined to be seventh.

Looking forward to it, and not nervous at all. Why not look forward to it? How many times have we trundled along to a home game at FeegieField through loyalty and because it’s what we do? No enthusiasm for the game, expecting nothing more than a shitfest where we once more cannot score. Quite a lot is the answer to that one. Lowest scorers in UK senior fitba’ and all that jazz.

This feels different. The atmosphere in and around the stadium has been better this season. The team has been better this season. Off the field, the club initiatives and the appointment of Lasley has been better. Frankly, there’s been far more positivity and feelgood factor, rather than negativity and feeling like you’ve been kicked in the baws.

Saints to achieve Top 6, the only deflated thing around the place will be the airdome. Believe.

I actually thought in Sunday's game it looked like the main goal for Killie was no injuries and no suspensions.

Whole game against Celtic and not a single booking.

And it didn't look like that was because they couldn't get close enough to foul them.

Last weekend St Mirren gave Rangers a tough game for 80+ minutes at Ibrox.

Killie were humiliated by Celtic inside 20 minutes at Rugby Park. Killie improved after 30 minutes after they brought on defensive substitutes for purposes of damage limitation and Celtic lit up their cigars.

3-0 St Mirren by half-time, worse to follow for Killie in the second half. 

Killie are going down.

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Last weekend St Mirren gave Rangers a tough game for 80+ minutes at Ibrox.

Killie were humiliated by Celtic inside 20 minutes at Rugby Park. Killie improved after 30 minutes after they brought on defensive substitutes for purposes of damage limitation and Celtic lit up their cigars.

3-0 St Mirren by half-time, worse to follow for Killie in the second half. 

Killie are going down.

Hope not. Hoping to see Ross County join their teuchter cousins in the second tier - and stay there for as long as possible.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Hope not. Hoping to see Ross County join their teuchter cousins in the second tier - and stay there for as long as possible.

Grass pitch or plastic pitch ? Premiership games should always be played on grass. Get that plastic surface to feck !!

Just now, Wilbur said:

Grass pitch or plastic pitch ? Premiership games should always be played on grass. Get that plastic surface to feck !!

Killie fans filling our away stand a few times a season, helping create an atmosphere, and us being able to get to their place easily, in my opinion, is more valuable to St Mirren than Ross County’s grass pitch. I’m no plastic pitch fan either, but I’d rather Killie stay up over Ross C. If we could get rid of a plastic pitch mob, I’d much rather it was Ferrantibank Thistle. Just my opinion.

If Killie went back to grass, I'd be fully on board with them staying up.

I like Kilmarnock as an away day (apart from those fucking seats) and I like having Killie at St. Mirren as it's always a hefty and loud away crowd.

Though seeing then relegated again would be funny as well.

23 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Saints fans getting overly worried about this one clearly haven't seen enough of our "defending" this season.

There's a good reason why our GD looks like some sort of temperature reading from Severnaya Zemlya.

In two games against you so far we haven’t scored a goal. So your ‘defending’ seems to be adequate against this season. 
A full house getting right behind the team from the start should hopefully be enough to get off to a good start. 

24 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

In two games against you so far we haven’t scored a goal. So your ‘defending’ seems to be adequate against this season. 
A full house getting right behind the team from the start should hopefully be enough to get off to a good start. 

I'd read more into the first game than the Rugby Park game. We were hamstrung there for about 85 minutes so it was a defensive display from us that day and a good one at that.

10 hours ago, flyingscot said:

I'm a little disappointed top 6 it wasn't wrapped up last weekend. I felt we were unlikely to get anything at Ibrox but was hopeful one of the others might not have taken full points, but not surprised both won really. 

Always will be nervy game as you are 1 VAR batshit call from going from cruising to being in trouble, but it's in our own hands I suppose. 

Yeah we had a VAR batshit call against your team a couple of weeks ago. I don’t wish you any harm though and hope you win. Tony Watt to score a double. You do need to stop Armstrong though.