Development Leagues

17 hours ago, Amateur Footie Fan said:

See that the West of Scot 21s and 19s have joined Cali league now to form development leagues. On twitter last night. Decent addition to the league if it means you can play players in your ammy teams as well as 19s and 21s which they say it does. 

In the amateur football rule book its allowed to have multiple clubs under the same banner.

Eg in the east there are Edinburgh Uni2s and 4s along with Corstorphine dynamo and dynamo colts.

A player just signs for the one team and he can play for either in any match.  However once he's played in a cup, he's cup tied in that cup.

So what'll be happening is that these teams will have a top team and a "colts" team with dual registrations between them.  There will be nothing in the Scot ams rule book to limit to U19 or u21.

If they do that it'll be a "local rule"

But this is a step forward.

Its a positive move.  Need to get something in place to stop 'senior' teams from coming in and snapping up players to fill squads tho and also something for players sitting on benches or not even getting out there tracksuits on a sat at these senior teams to go out on loan to ammie level before we see real progress tho!

A great move imo. It looks like the Caledonian League will be taking over from the Central as the top amateur setup in Scotland again.

I wonder if the development league will play games on a Friday evening like the Lowland League?

Edited by Crazy Feet

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

A great move imo. It looks like the Caledonian League will be taking over from the Central as the toip amateur setup in Scotland again.

I wonder if the development league will play games on a Friday evening like the Lowland League?

I don’t feel there’s a need for that comment, just encourages inter-league bickering and point scoring.

I believe it is a big step forward to try and provide a bit of stability to a struggling game!

Games on a Friday night would be ideal, currently this league plays saturday afternoons so would clash with the amateur schedule and prevent players featuring for two teams - however I don’t know if pitch availability might be a prohibiting factor on Friday nights.

On 15/04/2023 at 20:29, Redondo said:

Its a positive move.  Need to get something in place to stop 'senior' teams from coming in and snapping up players to fill squads tho and also something for players sitting on benches or not even getting out there tracksuits on a sat at these senior teams to go out on loan to ammie level before we see real progress tho!

I see your point but at the end of the day player power is king especially at the level where players will bounce between senior/amateur. If the player wants a move then 9/10 they’ll get one, I can’t see many teams at the bottom leagues in the Pyramid looking for fees to release players.

I don’t know the ins and outs but assume every player regardless of level is registered through the SFA? The only issue is then if players are registered as semi-pro for the purpose of receiving payment at senior level then that would stop the possibility of a loan move to an amateur side.

18 hours ago, Basile Boli said:

I see your point but at the end of the day player power is king especially at the level where players will bounce between senior/amateur. If the player wants a move then 9/10 they’ll get one, I can’t see many teams at the bottom leagues in the Pyramid looking for fees to release players.

I don’t know the ins and outs but assume every player regardless of level is registered through the SFA? The only issue is then if players are registered as semi-pro for the purpose of receiving payment at senior level then that would stop the possibility of a loan move to an amateur side.

To my knowledge players need to be released by senior clubs to go play with amateur clubs which opens the door for other senior clubs to move for these players so something to stop that happening would allow an actual loan agreement to be feesable without senior clubs potentially losing players unwittingly for nothing.

That would be a big positive and progressive move for both levels imo.