Arbroath FC vs Dundee FC - 08/04/23

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Bowyer talking about “the wind” in his post match interview.

Thats up there with Billy Dodds’ comments last season about us bringing on big physical players when our subs that day were Dale Hilson and Bobby Linn.

You are having a laugh, or rather Bowyer is. Incredible the crap that gets spouted with some managers, totally benign conditions.

There was definitely wind today because it was hitting me in the pus all game. It was behind us first half and most balls over the top went out of play, and it held the long balls up in the air second half. It’s not an excuse though, the players today couldn’t control the ball or string two passes together.

31 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Tbh the wind was a factor. However, not the reason we were pish second half.

Och, away man, they’re was barely a breath of wind

14 minutes ago, ecto said:

Och, away man, they’re was barely a breath of wind

If any single person that’s been to a Scottish fitba match thinks there was a “wind” today then they’re aff their heid.

It’s just one of those lazy clichés used by the media and opposition when results don’t go as expected against the “diddies” - “weather conditions”, “tight pitch”, “bobbly surface”, “big physical players” etc. We heard one or more of those after pretty much every game last season. The funniest being the aforementioned Billy Dodds “big physical” Dale Hilson and Bobby Linn and Derek McInnes talking about playing in a “wind tunnel” when the conditions were similar to today.

Edited by Tattie36

The thing I notice with Arbroath is that they're probably the best organised team in the league and they're streetwise. Every player knows exactly where they should be and who they should be pressing and when we did manage a quick break, they'd foul us extremely quickly.

We rely a bit on pace with Jakubiak, McMullan, Cameron and McCowan all capable and looking to get in behind. Arbroath seem to have a very narrow pitch and that forces everything central where they can force things into a stuffy battle. That combined with the fact that Dick Campbell was saying pre match that they see it as their Derby meant an increase in performance from the 2nd form team in the league right now (behind only us at the time).

That Joao Balde looks a very tidy player for them in the middle.

We had a couple of golden chances that we couldn't really take advantage of and limited Arbroath to a couple of close range free kicks themselves. We could still be playing now and neither team would have scored unless there was an absolute freak goal.

All in all, I'm not too upset with a point. Raith is huge because we've got tough games ahead and it's imperative we don't let Partick Thistle feel they're in the hunt. 

2 hours ago, K.T said:

Douglas Ross getting abused was the highlight 

Was it 'f**k the SFA or f**k the SNP' that was getting chanted as well?

Don't mind telling Douglas Ross to f**k himself but thought it was going a bit far just going round all the different political parties just for that wee rat's benefit.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The thing I notice with Arbroath is that they're probably the best organised team in the league and they're streetwise. Every player knows exactly where they should be and who they should be pressing and when we did manage a quick break, they'd foul us extremely quickly.

We rely a bit on pace with Jakubiak, McMullan, Cameron and McCowan all capable and looking to get in behind. Arbroath seem to have a very narrow pitch and that forces everything central where they can force things into a stuffy battle. That combined with the fact that Dick Campbell was saying pre match that they see it as their Derby meant an increase in performance from the 2nd form team in the league right now (behind only us at the time).

That Joao Balde looks a very tidy player for them in the middle.

We had a couple of golden chances that we couldn't really take advantage of and limited Arbroath to a couple of close range free kicks themselves. We could still be playing now and neither team would have scored unless there was an absolute freak goal.

All in all, I'm not too upset with a point. Raith is huge because we've got tough games ahead and it's imperative we don't let Partick Thistle feel they're in the hunt. 

Agree with a lot of that but Gayfield is not a small or narrow pitch at all. In fact it’s 2 yards wider and 6 yards longer than Dens. Maybe it feels smaller as the terraces are very close to the touch lines but it’s a bigger playing surface than many larger stadiums in Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Agree with a lot of that but Gayfield is not a small or narrow pitch at all. In fact it’s 2 yards wider and 6 yards longer than Dens. Maybe it feels smaller as the terraces are very close to the touch lines but it’s a bigger playing surface than many larger stadiums in Scotland.

Certainly doesn't seem that way. The box seems very close to the fans as does the centre circle. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. Will take your word for it though as I do sit at the back and high up at Dens.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Certainly doesn't seem that way. The box seems very close to the fans as does the centre circle. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. Will take your word for it though as I do sit at the back and high up at Dens.

Its probably because the fans are right on top of the pitch.  Plus our style of play is about pressing and not giving opponents room to play.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

115 x 71 yards so larger than many including Dens, Tannadice, Tynecastle, Pittodrie etc. it’s definitely due to the perspective of being low down and close to the pitch.

On 07/04/2023 at 18:52, ExiledLichtie said:

I think the better you guys try and play, the better it is for us.  Look what happened last time!

See, this is what we do!  We suck the football out of the game, and drag everyone onto our level.  That was a proper battle today, I'm pleased with that hard fought point!

Cracking attendance too, hell of a Turnout from both sets of fans.

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

115 x 71 yards so larger than many including Dens, Tannadice, Tynecastle, Pittodrie etc. it’s definitely due to the perspective of being low down and close to the pitch.

Must be a bit like Dr Who's Tardis.

Thank you.