Alloa Athletic vs. Queens

5 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Think the biggest disappointment was that for the only time this season against Queens, bar maybe the 2nd 45 of the 5-1 game, I actually thought we were the better team - it’s probably the poorest Queens have played in the 5 matches against us this season. Despite that, they should have been at least 3 up at halftime!

This. Absolutely. 

Its both the best game of the season and the worst. And it could have been 8-8. Neither side could really defend. We were poor 1st half, especially awful first 20 mins. Should have been 2 down but by half time should have been 4 up! 

2nd half was better organised but we carried less threat. Ross Irving might have scored but it was largely a rearguard action. Goal was daft but came through a ruck from distance. Then they hit the bar twice in injury time including a miracle parry from Kev. 

Mental. We're still alive though.

That was a much improved performance on last week and we we're unlucky not to get a draw but QOS took their gifted chances and their keeper had a couple of brilliant saves at the end.

Hogarth's mistake was really poor but we have had far worse goalkeepers than him over the years and he has had some decent performances for us.

I have been critical of Rice recently but his subs, unlike last week, almost turned the game and the football we played was much better today, especially in the 2nd half.

We probably need to pick up a minimum of a point next week although QOS have a tough trip to Dunfermline.

Edited by Magic Hat

Poor from Hogarth for the first goal, but he made a couple of decent saves to keep us in it.

From where I was sat, the one from the corner looked like it must have crossed the line. Couple of good saves from Queens goalie too, the one low down was top drawer.

We seemed reluctant to hit shots when we got opportunities, choosing to try and pass through players.

Thought Doyle was good today getting forward and back all game. LD looked dead on his feet for the last 10/15 minutes

3 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

... We probably need to pick up a minimum of a point next week although QOS have a tough trip to Dunfermline.

It'll be a whole lot tougher for Queens if the Pars haven't won the league up at Peterhead on Tuesday night.

A strange game and a draw would probably have been a fair result but, given the way that the other games between us have gone this season, QoS were probably due that.

We started really well but didn't manage to create a clear cut chance, although we had a couple of close things. Then Hogarth gifted Queens a goal and the game changed. We still dominated the ball but we were so open that's Queens looked like they'd score from every ball up the park. Queens did get a second and it looked like there was another big mistake from us, this time Stanger miskicking when attempting to clear.

Second half was largely defence against attack and I thought that Queens defended pretty well for the most part. Luke Donnelly was superb for us but when he drops deep we really need someone to run in behind, or take up the space he leaves, and stretch the game a bit.

Taggart scored a good goal, although I have to confess when others were exhorting him to shoot I said that he'd never score from there. We continued to press and I thought that when Cammy O'Donnell came on the quality of our delivery improved, with the crosses looking more purposeful and less floated. We would have grabbed a point at the end but for a couple of excellent saves from Dabrowski.

The run in is now going to be very interesting and given their form I imagine that Queens must fancy pipping us for the final play off spot.

9 minutes ago, Dink said:

... The run in is now going to be very interesting and given their form I imagine that Queens must fancy pipping us for the final play off spot.

It's potentially on, but it may not survive our visit to EEP on Saturday.

Was tempted to drive up today for the game, talked myself out of it and now wish I hadn’t. Many away fans in attendance?

Sounds like Queens fought it out, a quality lacking for the best part of the season. Massive well done to Bartley for developing that much needed desire to win / grind out a result. Wonder how much influence he had at Livi’? Since he left them their forms been pretty poor.  Anyways, well done  Queens.

Edited by rubber_duck

Couldn't make the game today as on holiday, so appreciate the comments on the game, with both sides in agreement.

Clearly it's a blow that QotS have cut our lead over them to three points, but the FC Edinburgh result helps and we now appear to be in a three horse race for fourth.

I'd rather be in our position given we have those extra points in the bag, although clearly anything can happen over the next four games. If nothing else it's going to be interesting.

Had to win today to keep our hopes alive and we did that. A very strange game as others have said - we squandered several great chances but in reality we defaulted to a 5-2-1-2 and were overrun in midfield. We were crying out for a third central midfielder as Connelly had a nightmare and Murray wasn’t any better when he appeared. We had no pressure on the ball and Alloa were able to run unchallenged into our territory at will. Not sure how we didn’t concede the obligatory equaliser at the death but GK had 2/3 fantastic saves in that frantic finale. Thought Alloa were much better than us but they mugged us earlier in the season after we completely dominated so will take it.

Thought Brydon was excellent and Logan did ok. Paton’s goals once again invaluable.Our ball retention was awful and the shape of the team was all wrong but luck was on our side today. Need to play much better in the coming games.

1 hour ago, Dudleyghu said:

Not losing this now. Well done boys easy win as predicted no be long till we’re in the play-offs. 

Not an easy win. Fantastic and gritty performance from us and I’m delighted but they were the better side with 2/3 play and 10 corners. Really give our players credit for their attitude today and we missed some sitters but them hitting wood twice in last 5 minutes was nerve wracking. Dabrowski and Brydon immense and Wilson and Paton superb. A great day and still hanging in there. Superb strategy and dubs too Marv

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Then they hit the bar twice in injury time including a miracle parry from Kev. 

Christ, I didn't realise that.  

It was stressful enough refreshing updates all the time.  Watching it must have been torture.

First time I've seen the Marvin revolution live and absolutely delighted to see we've now decided to defend cross balls by heading them away. Didn't know you could do that? Clear intent to keep the ball on the deck great to see.

Was a very up and down game as has been said. Went in at half time feeling lucky to be two up but also thinking could have been out of sight.

Second half more backs to the wall but Back three were excellent standing up to the endless crosses - a totally understandable if slightly one-dimensional tactic by Alloa - and what can be said about Kev. Two ridiculous saves at the end to keep us in it. Was a very frantic last 20 minutes to say the least. 

A brilliant and necessary result that keeps us afloat.

I'd have happily severed an arm for it this morning.

Now looking at it though, it's a pity we didn't go in miles ahead at half time as plenty are saying was possible.  A win by 2 or 3 would have closed up the goal difference a bit.  As it stands, Alloa's goal difference advantage is probably going to act as another point if we end up close together at the end.  

I know I'm getting greedy here, but I suspect we need to take 4 more points than them in the remaining games.  Unfortunately, we're the ones who've yet to play Airdrie.

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was stressful enough refreshing updates all the time.  Watching it must have been torture.

The 1st of them was nothing short of miraculous from Dabrowski. It looked in already (I don't think it quite was, but it looked it) and he reacted incredibly to flick a hand behind him and flick it up against the bar and back out at which point about 4 players absolutely launched themselves at the loose ball and it somehow stayed out. I suspect Euan East had a lot to do with that and he certainly ended up injured on the floor (as did Dabrowski). An incredible incident and looking forward to seeing @LeodhasXD highlights at midnight. To be fair the game was so open he could be here right up to midnight trying to edit it down!

40 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

In fairness unsighted. He was magnificent today

He was magnificent late on certainly, including one miraculous stop (see above). He was decidedly ropy early on though and almost dropped a catch into his own net in the first ten minutes. His kicking was poor throughout too and he almost gave them a goal by trying to sidestep their striker just before Ruari actually did steal the ball from their keeper at the other end. It was a 'mixed' performance from Big Kev! But in the end when it mattered he was outstanding.

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was. There’s riding your luck and then there’s that. How Dabrowski has kept that one out at the end I’ll never know, unbelievable save. 

I can’t remember being as nervous as that at the end at a game for a good couple of years at least. 

Brydon excellent today, as was Paton. Fair play to everyone for getting over the line at the end. 

An entertaining game which I enjoyed, despite the result and some abysmal Alloa defending in the first half.

We simply couldn't cope with Queens' counters at that stage and we were fortunate to be only 2 down at the break. In saying that, the QoS goal led a charmed life in the early stages as well. It was a daft first 45.

Early days, but I think Queens have made an inspired managerial appointment.

Edited by Sixtyten

3 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

QOS took their gifted chances and their keeper had a couple of brilliant saves at the end.

Think that's pretty harsh/wrong. We took one of the chances your goalkeeper gifted us but the second goal was hardly a gift; it was a well worked goal. And it was hardly a case of us taking our only chances - we could/should have had at least 4 goals in the first half alone. 

3 hours ago, printer said:

I'd rather be in our position given we have those extra points in the bag, although clearly anything can happen over the next four games. If nothing else it's going to be interesting.

Indeed. I still think Alloa will pip us to it but it's good we've clung on for another week at least. 

Thought that was a great game tbh. About as exciting a game you're likely to get at this level. It really could have went either way. A draw would have been fair but in the same breath we could have been leading 5-0 at HT. Similarly, Alloa had enough pressure in the second half that they could have won it if they had someone who could finish. Not a great advert for defending (though give our boys credit, we'd have absolutely lost that game earlier in the season) but excitement almost every time a side went forward. 

Thought Brydon was absolutely immense for us. Again, gets better every time I watch him. Don't think he lost a header and at one point in the second half he was charging out after a clearance trying to get us out. He would have been about our 4th highest player up the park - brilliant determination. Shouting throughout as well. He's only 19 but he'll be captain at some point. Probably the best I've seen Paton play as well tbh. Absolutely ran himself into the ground and took his second goal really well. 

As I say, I think Alloa will probably still pip us but it's certainly 'Squeeky bum time' for them. 

In my opinion we gifted both those goals, Hogarth making a mistake for the first and Stanger for the second. Agree you were the better team in the first half and had the best chances but we were miles ahead in the second half and could easily have ended 4-4.. Fair play to you for winning and have to say very impressed with your new manager, encourages your players and seems technically astute. 

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Indeed. I still think Alloa will pip us to it but it's good we've clung on for another week at least. 

Yes, this.

It's great that we're still in it, but we've ridden our luck a bit lately and that won't continue indefinitely.  

Looking at it, our run-in seems tougher to me.  If we can hang in next week by matching Alloa's score, that will be a good outcome I think.  Even that's a tall order though, and an awful lot would still be required to go right for us thereafter.