June fixtures

Merkie84

Still buzzing from Tuesday night and really looking forward to the next games. 

Glad the next game is away to Norway. I felt when the draw was made that would be the key fixture and still believe that.  Going into that on a high is the best possible preparation if we can take something from that, it would be huge. 
after Tuesday and recent good away performances, why not? 

I think if can suffocte any supply to Haaland , we have a good chance.

Georgia give me the fear, would rather the fixtures were the other way round. A tired,  leggy Scotland toiling to break down an average but well organised team full of fight. Will be tight but hopefully can edge it. 

Spain sitting stewing till September. They are getting slaughtered by their press and expect a reaction in their next games. Hopefully take out their wrath on Georgia and beat them comfortably.
Or do we want them to struggle again and draw with Georgia? 

How do we think it will go? 

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

I’d wondered if a June game would suit Norway because their domestic league has a summer season, but only two of their starting 11 from Tuesday are based in Norway, everyone else plays elsewhere in Europe and on the same schedule as our players. So, really it’ll boil down to how everyone finishes their season. If either Odegaard or Haaland are missing then I’d say we’re favourites. If they’re both available, it’ll be tight.

Georgia at home is crucial, though. I saw a bit of the second half between them and Norway and my take away was that they’re fairly gung ho - it won’t be 10 men behind the ball from them, which should create opportunities for us. Kvaratskhelia is electric, but he doesn’t have Osimhen or the rest of the Napoli side to play with. They were decent, though.

I think we should be aiming for at least 7pts from the next three games and if we get that, we’re almost qualified.

Hopefully Georgia away will be too late in our schedule for it to f**k us up!

Already shitting myself for them. Got the fear that June internationals become to us what the games following the winter break once were to Rangers. Also got the fear having looked at the price of a pint etc. in Oslo. At least it’s not a quadruple header this time. 

Two wins here and I’d probably allow myself to sing we’re the famous Tartan Army and we’re off to Germany. Four points would still be a good return - a win in Oslo and a draw with Georgia ideal? 

Weirdly I am more confident about Norway away than Georgia at home. 

The result against Spain at least gives us some breathing room but I think the 4 teams are going to be tight  come the end. 

At least we have the benefit of just worrying about our 2 games.  It is in our own hands at the moment. 

2 wins or a win and a draw puts us in a good position. 

Hopefully another rowdy Hampden in the home fixture can be the 12th man. 

Any combination of 4 points from these games would put us in a great position. Manage that and beat Cyprus in September and you probably just need three points from the last three games, so either one win or three draws (Spain + Georgia away and Norway home) 

4 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

If Scotland had lost against Spain away and drawn against Georgia away, would that be considered the end of the world?  Some sections of the media are getting a bit carried away in my opinion. I still hope Scotland can qualify but, I won't really believe it unless we get something in Norway and beat Georgia at home.

I also remember how bad we were the last time we had fixtures in June...

Worth remembering our two crap performances in June last year came against a Ukraine team who had literal months to prepare for that one game and an Irish team of journeymen from the English lower leagues. In the same window we dispatched Armenia (who can be a tricky customer) at ease twice. 

This time we’ve got Haaland/Odegaard and Kvaradona who will all be knackered from the domestic seasons as much if not more so than our guys. Any mention of a June curse should be thrown in the bin.

6 games left. Three wins and a draw should do it IMO. 

25 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

If Scotland had lost against Spain away and drawn against Georgia away, would that be considered the end of the world?  Some sections of the media are getting a bit carried away in my opinion. I still hope Scotland can qualify but, I won't really believe it unless we get something in Norway and beat Georgia at home.

I also remember how bad we were the last time we had fixtures in June...

I had similar thoughts on Norway probably etting what was expected of them.  On the positive side we have over-achieved and got a resault that Norway would find difficult to match.

I think this group is a rare occasion where you can say "no easy games in international football." We had what will probably be the easiest game first so every other one is bound to be a nail-biter. They've earned our trust that they might get something in every remaining game, but we're still not at the stage where we're beyond completely bottoming out (Ireland away, Faroes away, Ukraine at home).

9 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Spain sitting stewing till September. They are getting slaughtered by their press and expect a reaction in their next games. Hopefully take out their wrath on Georgia and beat them comfortably.

They're playing in the Nations League finals in June.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking ahead to June games it's easy to see how the good feeling could change direction. I was listening back to a podcast and plenty of pundits and fans were saying they think we'll qualify on the back of beating Spain but the group will look very different if we lose away to Norway especially since Norway and Georgia are having their turns to take on Cyprus. 

4 or 6 points would be a dream outcomes for the camp as a whole and if we achieve that I'd say that's us all but qualified. 2 or 3 points would be okay and wouldn't be too damaging. Back to back head to heads against our main rivals for 2nd place so this is going to be a hell of a camp.

image.png.c6a929fb4d617fec4ecc31b6510bd228.png

Edited by 2426255

Even before a ball was kicked in this group I felt these 2 games were the key to the group. 

Nothing has changed in that regard, but beating Spain gives us the chance to only worry about our performance and scores, don’t need to worry about what happens in the other games. 

6 points and we are nearly there. 

0 or 1 and I think qualifying will be difficult.