Which next global superstar from Scotland will play for Australia?

Australia manager Graham Arnold has said he's looking at swiping another few Scottish players for his Australia squad in the coming months. However, he's keeping tight lipped on who they may be in case Steve Clarke nips in and bags them.

So, who do we think they may be? I mean, we can't really afford to lose out on the next Jason Cummings so best to bring them to the attention of the NT selectors before this travesty is allowed to happen.

Aye, I saw that. Quite amusing. Maybe he's after some of the Scottish superstars-in-waiting that Celtgers are nurturing in the bosom of the Lowland League.

I particularly liked this quote:

Spoiler

"It's easy for me to get those players to come and play," he told the Sacked In The Morning podcast.

"I just say, 'listen, the Socceroos have qualified for the last five World Cups - when was the last one Scotland qualified for?'"

Unfortunately, we're not in the position where we can jump ship to another confederation after having a wee cry about being consistently unable to beat the literal worst qualifying opponents available  :lol:

29 minutes ago, central staggie said:

Australia manager Graham Arnold has said he's looking at swiping another few Scottish players for his Australia squad in the coming months. However, he's keeping tight lipped on who they may be in case Steve Clarke nips in and bags them.

So, who do we think they may be? I mean, we can't really afford to lose out on the next Jason Cummings so best to bring them to the attention of the NT selectors before this travesty is allowed to happen.

I'm choosing to assume the bolded bit is blatant sarcasm

27 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We all know it will be another Hibs player who wouldn't get a game for Scotland B. Take your pick from that shite.

Kyle Magennis could definitely pass for an Australian, maybe give him a go if autoglass ever repair his legs.

Without wishing to sound arrogant or disrespectful to Australia who are obviously a decent team, which of Harry Souttar, Martin Boyle and Jason Cummings would get in our current squad and would any make the starting X1? I think probably Souttar would be in the squad, possibly a starter too although he was nowhere near a call up before Australia grabbed him. Would he have been a big improvement over Hendry, Hanley, McKenna, Porteous etc?

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Literally any UEFA nation outside of yer San Marinos would qualify from the confederation Australia cried hot salty tears to be moved to because they couldn't hack it.

Israel being in UEFA is understandable for geopolitical reasons but why are the likes of Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Australia are allowed to just play whoever they like.

8 hours ago, idc68 said:

Without wishing to sound arrogant or disrespectful to Australia who are obviously a decent team, which of Harry Souttar, Martin Boyle and Jason Cummings would get in our current squad and would any make the starting X1? I think probably Souttar would be in the squad, possibly a starter too although he was nowhere near a call up before Australia grabbed him. Would he have been a big improvement over Hendry, Hanley, McKenna, Porteous etc?

Boyle would have got a few caps for us imo. He'd have been a nice option at RWB, RW or as part of a front two. Forrest and Fraser were better on paper and probably would've been ahead of him, but I think he would've got a decent crack at it. 

My mind is melted regarding Souttar due to Pep touting him for a call-up while getting relegated with Ross County, so I don't actually know when he got gud, but he probably would have been an improvement over Hanley in the middle of the back three. 

All ifs and buts though

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Israel being in UEFA is understandable for geopolitical reasons but why are the likes of Cyprus, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan and Australia are allowed to just play whoever they like.

Which confederation do you think Cyprus should be in? It's never anything other than Europe, it's practically a Greek island!

Armenia, Georgia and Kazakhstan relates to hiving off from the USSR which was within Europe. They've effectively always been part of UEFA but take the point.

No idea why Australia were allowed to move.

The Ruskies have also been making overtures to move to the Asian confederation.  There might be political support, but can't imagine the football associations would want it.

The AFC get 8 countries and a playoff for the 2026 World Cup.  Australia could play the Morton team and qualify in perpetuity.  For context, Qatar are the 6th best side in Asia.

The fight for the 8th qualifier and playoff spot would be between Jordan, China, UAE, Oman, and Uzbekistan.

In Europe, we get 16.  Going by rankings, the following would miss out: Austria, Norway, Scotland, Czechia, Turkey, Greece...

22 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

There are surely far more Aussies with Scottish ancestry than Scots with Aussie ancestry?

There are definitely a few - examples being Jamie Maclaren, Kenny Dougall, Jackson Irvine. Any that would actually make our squad though? Nah.

Boyle maybe would've turned into a squad player for Scotland.  His pace might've come in handy at times but he wouldn't be a regular starter.  Souttar had a good World Cup and would probably be a regular starter now but we weren't to know that at the time.  Jason Cummings wouldn't be anywhere near the squad.  Going the other way, would Jackson Irvine be in the Scotland team?  Maybe occasionally.  Jamie MacLaren wouldn't be.

Also I didn't realise Cyrpus was being in UEFA was so contentious.  Considering it's well...clearly part of Europe with the majority of it's population being of Turkish and Greek heritage - both in UEFA!  I didn't realise Kazakhstan had been in the AFC in the past.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Boyle maybe would've turned into a squad player for Scotland.  His pace might've come in handy at times but he wouldn't be a regular starter.  Souttar had a good World Cup and would probably be a regular starter now but we weren't to know that at the time.  Jason Cummings wouldn't be anywhere near the squad.  Going the other way, would Jackson Irvine be in the Scotland team?  Maybe occasionally.  Jamie MacLaren wouldn't be.

Also I didn't realise Cyrpus was being in UEFA was so contentious.  Considering it's well...clearly part of Europe with the majority of it's population being of Turkish and Greek heritage - both in UEFA!  I didn't realise Kazakhstan had been in the AFC in the past.

Irvine wouldn’t get in our squad at the moment. He might’ve got a few caps in McLeish’s second spell but he’s way off our other midfielders.

Just the 55 caps he has for Australia.