Alloa vs Airdrie 1/4/23

11 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

With Arbroath 2 up against Ayr tonight it looks like its Cove or more likely Hamilton heading for the play offs which is obviously of interest to both sides.

Arbroath one of the teams battling relegation ,not on this showing ,Scot Stewart played well ,Hamilton or Cove in play offs ,

Very interested to see the team Rice picks today but I think I’d be tempted to have taggart at right back and either church or strachan at left back, think having a naturally left footed left back would make us a little bit better. For me Scougall has to start every week he’s fit for us but I don’t have a clue who to drop so don’t envy the manager on that front, very difficult decision to make.

Edited by AlloaAdam

16 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I'm convinced McMaster won't start. McCabe simply has to play as his experience is vital and it would be a cop out if he didn't play himself in our biggest game of the season.

Don't agree tbh. No need to change a winning team and I'd argue in games like these it's even more important to have someone in control from the sidelines.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Don't agree tbh. No need to change a winning team and I'd argue in games like these it's even more important to have someone in control from the sidelines.

I'm no fan of McMaster and at their current stages of their careers McCabe's experience and ability is more needed on the pitch, especially with another young player in Devenny also in midfield. I will however gladly eat humble pie if he has a stormer. 

On 29/03/2023 at 16:23, laughing gravie said:

You only need to score one more than the opposition to win.

How many extra points did you get for scoring 18 goals?

Turns out you were right mate we only needed one. 

Have a good evening pal thanks for coming.

We were a bit poor today, struggled to put our passes together but improved a bit as the game went on.

Airdrie were good going forward first half. Good finish for the goal too.

No idea how Rae never got a booking for the time wasting.

What a massive 3 points for us today, especially with the other results in the league, a 5 point lead over Edinburgh is pleasing.

Thought the defence was excellent today, Fordyce in particular won everything in the air, and what a strike from Janny, another goal of the season contender perhaps? 

Never once moaned about a referre before on here but how an earth did Barry Cook become a referee? Did he win a competition. Absolutely dreadful.

Not that any of that matters though, delighted for the team to grind out a result the same way Dunfermline do, to go away and get 3 points against a team who are excellent at home is brilliant.

Edited by David Fernández

Well done to Airdrie today, they thoroughly deserved their win and didn't even need to play particularly well to get it.

You play much better football than us and also credit to the Airdrie support as well, we would be lucky to take a third of that if in the same position.

We were absolutely awful yet again and to have one shot on target (if Coulson's weak header can be called that) at home against promotion rivals is utterly pathetic.

Somehow we are still in 4th but wouldn't be surprised if we get overhauled in the next few weeks, QOS would only be 3 points behind us with a win at the Recs next week.

If we do drop out of the play offs wonder if Rice will still be here next season, at the moment I hope not, another year of watching that terrible football doesn't appeal.

Today he made four subs which is fair enough but to then put Cawley to right wing back and keep the best player in that position to the left side of our central defence, is absolutely incompetent and what a surprise it didn't work.

Also bringing King on as a sub was never going to make a difference, would have been better bringing on a more direct player like Cammy O'Donnell.

28 minutes ago, Rory said:

No idea how Rae never got a booking for the time wasting.

A Barry Cook masterclass today. How he never gave a foul against Durnan for wrestling with Gallagher when he was last man… then booked McGregor a few minutes later for a pull back on the half way line. Did think Rae pushed his luck to the extreme as well. 

The final ten minutes was torture from an Airdrie point of view but I can’t remember one clear Alloa chance to be honest. I think Rae made one save all game, and was comfortable coming for crosses. At the other end we really should have hit the back of the net at least three times. Gabby fluffed his lines a few times and the woodwork took a good rattling as well.

Breathing space for us in the top four but nevertheless I think Montrose remains a must win match for us given our run in.

Hardly a classic but a well deserved 3 points. Thought we were the better team overall but was puzzled by our subs. Telfer just zaps all the energy out of our midfield. Much prefer Deveney. 

Smith looks a mere shadow of himself. Seems like he’s away for sure. 

Rotten performance from us today, fed up watching taggart being played out of position week after week. Kev worked hard as usual, Durnan and stranger solid enough but everyone else were below par. Terrible football to watch, roll on next week

I actually thought we played well, although Airdrie deserved to win. Indeed thought it was a good entertaining game between two in form teams.

Airdrie had more options in attack, where their quick movement stretched us at times and lead to a few chances. Overall though I thought our defence played well, with Durnan in particular imposing himself physically on Gallagher and having a good game.

Clearly Taggs on the left is frustrating at times, but with Church not in the squad and Doyle playing well on the right the manager had restricted options in that respect, especially if he wants to change formation to a back three, which is how we lined up after the four subs.

Also thought Airdrie were solid defensively and that was a major reason we were restricted to few chances.

Eventually predicted a Diamond win and had McGill taken any of those good chances I'd have relaxed rather than suffering in that interminable Barry Cook additional time. 

Yes Rae was cutting it close with the modern goalkeeper time wasting but few refs actually do much.

Can't agree that Fordyce has been weak in last few games and he cleared everything needed today

Watson was our best player and the goal was a cracker but Callum Smith's work rate lets me give him a pass on some of his poor attacking today. Although we maybe conceded a lot of midfield late on, and McCabe could have been on, but at least his subs made more sense and where we gain from him seeing the game from the side.

On Alloa , one header on target hardly shows a close match with balls thrown in largely being cleared out. Agree with many Alloa posters that Taggart did fine but would have been better on right. Solid Durnan and Stanger held our front three in a grip and Gallagher never really got a snif.

On the Barry Cook show, many of our fans expected his usual style and were howling from early on even when he was correct. I am loath to criticise officials and I only came close today with the Durnan /Gallagher tug back in second half.  Might need to see highlights if it were just 50/50 jostling.

On to the run in and we "just" need to stay clear of the chasers!

I believe that Taggart was there on the left to nullify Gabby McGill, and to be fair it worked for a large part of the game. On another day we could have been more clinical and finished it off early but not to be. I will take two memories fronm today however, that totally incompetent and inconsistent referee plus that 14st rucksack that Gal had on his back called Durnan...a win's a win!