Alloa vs Airdrie 1/4/23

I think this is our biggest test yet this season. We’ve been excellent going forward in the last three games and while we haven’t had to be at our best against Peterhead or Clyde, we were clinical and very exciting to watch in the final third. We’ve known all season that this team are capable of that though, our issue has always been how we respond to literally anything going wrong.

If we score first then we’ll probably fine but I think Saturday will be a big test for the players character. I’m certainly not expecting another repeat of the 4-0 game the last time the sides met but I think we have to be confident given the way we’re playing going forward at the moment.

Alloa have been pretty steady all season and I fancy them to make the top four anyway, with one of the more erratic Airdrie or Edinburgh joining them. Three points on Saturday would put us in a great position to do that.

Looking at Alloa's home record, I think we'll need to be at our best to get 3 points from this one. As good as our last performances have been, it's important to remember the teams we were playing were 8th, 9th and 10th in the league.

I'd like to see Stanway come in for McMaster and ATS come back into defence if he's available. Stanway made a decent impact against Clyde and I think he deserves a start, always looked lively when coming on.

I think it's a bigger game for Airdrie than Alloa, I'd like us to try and secure the play offs and not have to rely on getting something at the running track (that gives me the absolute fear).

Alloa have done really well this season, mental reading some of the comments earlier on in the season with some fans calling for Brian Rice to go, he's done a pretty good job so far.

Edited by David Fernández

If anyone had only seen Airdrie's to home games against Alloa this season then you'd be certified if you thought Alloa could get anything out of this game, alas the games at the Indodrill have been completely different and probably sum up our strange season.

Whilst a defeat wouldn't end our season, it would make it very difficult and perhaps a draw wouldn't disappoint either side.

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Looking at Alloa's home record, I think we'll need to be at our best to get 3 points from this one. As good as our last performances have been, it's important to remember the teams we were playing were 8th, 9th and 10th in the league.

I'd like to see Stanway come in for McMaster and ATS come back into defence if he's available. Stanway made a decent impact against Clyde and I think he deserves a start, always looked lively when coming on.

I think it's a bigger game for Airdrie than Alloa, I'd like us to try and secure the play offs and not have to rely on getting something at the running track (that gives me the absolute fear).

Alloa have done really well this season, mental reading some of the comments earlier on in the season with some fans calling for Brian Rice to go, he's done a pretty good job so far.

I would prefer Stanway for McMaster all day long but it being such a big game I can't see Rhys leaving himself out.

Unless wee see a truly ungodly goal swing to Edinburgh, both teams will still be in the top four come fulltime regardless of result.

Even so, a win for either side puts them that bit closer to sealing their playoff place and deal a psychological blow to a potential playoff opponent, too. 

Presumably going to be a harder task than the last three games, but more than capable of winning this. The team are in a much better place than the last time we visited, that's for sure. 

A really fascinating game on the horizon for Saturday.

Have dispatched all opponents in their way in their own styles, this really is a big game for both sides this season and will go a hell of a long way to deciding on those coveted 3rd and 4th places.  FWIW I still fancy both Airdrie and Alloa to make it, but I genuinely can't call this result. 4-0 either way or anything in between!

Injuries forced us into a formation change that's been working well but now with people coming back from injury, potential to change it back to the way it was. Some big calls to make for Rice for the weekend.

I'd like us to still with the 4-2-3-1 sort of shape and if Church is fit enough to start at LB and move Taggs to RB, dropping Doyle to the bench. Bit harsh to drop him as he's been playing pretty well! Similar with Scougall, probably between Cawley and Coulson but again, pretty harsh to drop either of them.

A win would be big for us but I'd settle for a draw. After all the talk of goals, it'll probably end up being a dull 0-0 draw.

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

It was only a very small minority of very excitable Alloa fans who said Rice should go. That said though, there has been plenty debate and I'm still not convinced I'd go as far as saying we have done "really well". The league has been poor and of sides I expected us to be competing with QoS have been way below the level expected, Montrose have gone backwards a bit, Kelty IMO have underachieved and Airdrie very up and down compared to last season. Edinburgh the only side who have overachieved by getting into the battle. In the circumstances and with the squad he has, the play-offs should be a very realistic target for Brian Rice. I think he would already pretty much have have it tied up had he found a settled team. If we do get across the line then then I'd agree with pretty good! 

As for Saturday, think Airdrie on their day are the most dynamic side in the league if you let them play their game. If we compete in midfield though and get our creative men on the ball then we are more than capable of causing Airdrie lots of problems. I'd really hope the manager doesn't change what has been working of late but wouldn't be surprised if he he does. 

Edited by Waspie

42 minutes ago, Waspie said:

It was only a very small minority of very excitable Alloa fans who said Rice should go. That said though, there has been plenty debate and I'm still not convinced I'd go as far as saying we have done "really well". The league has been poor and of sides I expected us to be competing with QoS have been way below the level expected, Montrose have gone backwards a bit, Kelty IMO have underachieved and Airdrie very up and down compared to last season. Edinburgh the only side who have overachieved by getting into the battle. In the circumstances and with the squad he has, the play-offs should be a very realistic target for Brian Rice. I think he would already pretty much have have it tied up had he found a settled team. If we do get across the line then then I'd agree with pretty good! 

As for Saturday, think Airdrie on their day are the most dynamic side in the league if you let them play their game. If we compete in midfield though and get our creative men on the ball then we are more than capable of causing Airdrie lots of problems. I'd really hope the manager doesn't change what has been working of late but wouldn't be surprised if he he does. 

That's fair enough, I sometimes dip in and out of other teams threads, didn't realise it was just a minority.

I would say the league is harder than last season minus Clyde and Peterhead. I'm pretty sure most Alloa fans would have bitten your hand off for a 3rd place finish at the start of the season, but I do agree with the points you have made about the other teams in the league.

Just depends what Airdrie turn up on Saturday, will it be Jekyll or Hyde?

There’s a preview as part of our podcast this week if anyone fancies a listen before tomorrow

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com/

Work commitments on our side meant we weren’t able to get @AndyDD on this time, but we are going with the narrative that he’s in the huff over ‘pie gate!’

Huge game tomorrow for both clubs, both sides winning 3 on the bounce with a free scoring Airdrie side visiting the statistically best home side in the division. 

Home advantage has certainly prevailed in the 4 meetings so far so hopefully that carries on tomorrow!

I feel that tomorrow’s victors will be in the playoffs, but in all honesty I think both sides will make it come the end of the season. 

6 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

There’s a preview as part of our podcast this week if anyone fancies a listen before tomorrow

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com/

Work commitments on our side meant we weren’t able to get @AndyDD on this time, but we are going with the narrative that he’s in the huff over ‘pie gate!’

Huge game tomorrow for both clubs, both sides winning 3 on the bounce with a free scoring Airdrie side visiting the statistically best home side in the division. 

Home advantage has certainly prevailed in the 4 meetings so far so hopefully that carries on tomorrow!

I feel that tomorrow’s victors will be in the playoffs, but in all honesty I think both sides will make it come the end of the season. 

Nae huff from me, the club handed you the one rogue pie exactly as I planned... 

Enjoyed listening to the podcast, albeit raised my eyebrows a tad at the suggestion the Alloa squad is the stronger. Not convinced, but I suppose we shall see over the next 6 games. 

The form our forwards are in, indeed the form we're in across the whole pitch, I strongly fancy us to be a different animal than that which visited the recs the previous two times this season. 

Alloa have been excellent at home evidently, so this is a great test to start what looks quite a tasty run-in. 

Airdrie by a cupla goals. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Nae huff from me, the club handed you the one rogue pie exactly as I planned... 

Enjoyed listening to the podcast, albeit raised my eyebrows a tad at the suggestion the Alloa squad is the stronger. Not convinced, but I suppose we shall see over the next 6 games. 

The form our forwards are in, indeed the form we're in across the whole pitch, I strongly fancy us to be a different animal than that which visited the recs the previous two times this season. 

Alloa have been excellent at home evidently, so this is a great test to start what looks quite a tasty run-in. 

Airdrie by a cupla goals. 

Won the league here now cement place in playoffs. 

Really looking forward to the game.

Will be interesting to see if Rice changes the starting line up tomorrow after three wins fielding the same eleven. Personally I'd bring in Scougs for Coulson, not that the latter deserves to be dropped (in fact nobody does) but Scougs will give us additional quality in midfield and I think we'll need that. 

From an Alloa perspective going five points clear of fourth with just five games left would clearly be a strong position and one from which  we'd be favourites to get in the playoffs from, after Falkirk.

Every bit as important for Airdrie, of course, to get the win clearly. We'll need to deal with Gallagher better than we did in the 4-0 defeat. Having Durnan back should help there. 

11 minutes ago, printer said:

Really looking forward to the game.

Will be interesting to see if Rice changes the starting line up tomorrow after three wins fielding the same eleven. Personally I'd bring in Scougs for Coulson, not that the latter deserves to be dropped (in fact nobody does) but Scougs will give us additional quality in midfield and I think we'll need that. 

From an Alloa perspective going five points clear of fourth with just five games left would clearly be a strong position and one from which  we'd be favourites to get in the playoffs from, after Falkirk.

Every bit as important for Airdrie, of course, to get the win clearly. We'll need to deal with Gallagher better than we did in the 4-0 defeat. Having Durnan back should help there. 

Both sides have selection headaches of the good variety,  for Airdrie does McMaster and Devenney start in midfield played well last 3_games,  that's the same midfield though that got schooled in the last game at the recs...... For Allo a who does Taggs probably pound for pound the best defender in the league,   cover right or eft back. Callum Smith makes us tick,  McGill is scoring For fun, but the rest of his game has flaws..... Will Donnelly and McIver tear us apart again....

Looks like a very good game,  hopefully the managers don't over think it formation wise

2 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Both sides have selection headaches of the good variety,  for Airdrie does McMaster and Devenney start in midfield played well last 3_games,  that's the same midfield though that got schooled in the last game at the recs...... For Allo a who does Taggs probably pound for pound the best defender in the league,   cover right or eft back. Callum Smith makes us tick,  McGill is scoring For fun, but the rest of his game has flaws..... Will Donnelly and McIver tear us apart again....

Looks like a very good game,  hopefully the managers don't over think it formation wise

I'm convinced McMaster won't start. McCabe simply has to play as his experience is vital and it would be a cop out if he didn't play himself in our biggest game of the season.