Raith Rovers vs Queen's Park

Scotland able to provide a nice distraction from the nerve-racking end to the season we're facing, but it's back to business as usual this week with a trip to Kirkcaldy.

Much like last week, I regard this as a must win for us if we want to maintain a fight for the title. Unlike last week though, we cannot afford to give away points again by not showing up and putting in poor performances. This season there has been a pattern of a bounce back after a defeat, so here's hoping the trend continues. If fit Kilday and Thomson get back in the starting XI for me, and I also want Healy to start over Henderson.

Raith going into this on the back of a disappointing performance of their own in the cup final, hopefully feeling a bit of a hangover from that and we can take advantage. 

Edited by Dave

30 minutes ago, Dave said:

Scotland able to provide a nice distraction from the nerve-racking end to the season we're facing, but it's back to business as usual this week with a trip to Kirkcaldy.

Much like last week, I regard this as a must win for us if we want to maintain a fight for the title. Unlike last week though, we cannot afford to give away points again by not showing up and putting in poor performances. This season there has been a pattern of a bounce back after a defeat, so here's hoping the trend continues. If fit Kilday and Thomson get back in the starting XI for me, and I also want Healy to start over Henderson.

Raith going into this on the back of a disappointing performance of their own in the cup final, hopefully feeling a bit of a hangover from that and we can take advantage. 

I agree about Kilday and Thomson. They definitely start if fit. I think Eze has improved but as a unit Kilday & Fox are far superior to Fox & Eze.

I'm not sure about Healy starting. I think we have to trust Coyle on that  - he may have more impact coming on as a sub.

I would not be against bringing McPake back assuming there are no off-field issues preventing it. Although he has not always been amazing, the team has generally been at its best with him in it.

I'd like to see better link  up between Oakley and Thomas on the right - they looked great the first couple of times they played together but have never really kicked on from that.

I'd also like to see our wide players out wide putting crosses in for Shields rather than Shields going out wide & putting crosses in for no one.

In the 3 games against Queens Park we have had 50 shots on goal and only managed to score 3 goals, one of was a rebound from a (poorly taken) penalty. That probably sums up our season and is likely why we won't make the play offs.

7 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I cant see us putting in another 1st 45mins like Sundays cup game, if we can find the net again I think we'll end up putting a dent in Queens title aspirations

Nodding Yes GIF

22 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree about Kilday and Thomson. They definitely start if fit. I think Eze has improved but as a unit Kilday & Fox are far superior to Fox & Eze.

I'm not sure about Healy starting. I think we have to trust Coyle on that  - he may have more impact coming on as a sub.

I would not be against bringing McPake back assuming there are no off-field issues preventing it. Although he has not always been amazing, the team has generally been at its best with him in it.

I'd like to see better link  up between Oakley and Thomas on the right - they looked great the first couple of times they played together but have never really kicked on from that.

I'd also like to see our wide players out wide putting crosses in for Shields rather than Shields going out wide & putting crosses in for no one.

I agree with everything above.

McPake for Henderson with Heally as an impact sub later in the game. Unfortunately against Arbroath Heally was wasted when he came on as we kept missing him out by launching balls forward. If he plays he needs to be able to use his pace and quick feet to hurt the opposition.

The other option is Savoury out wide with Jarrett through the middle. Thomas, Jarrett and Savoury are our three best attacking midfielders/forwards, but to have all three playing either Savoury or Jarrett need to play wide where we don't get the best out of them.

I totally agree that we need Shields in the box more often. He does well in the channels but as we saw against Hamilton he's handy in the 6 yard box, and that was sorley missing against Arbroath.

Surely following on from last weeks game, OC must insist on better use of any corners we win, and also target practice for everyone.

Against Arbroath I counted 5 corners where big Eze at 6'7" stood waiting in the box, as he had done against Inverness(and puting their defence under pressure every time).  3 of the 5 were taken as short corners, which all failed to get the ball in the box. The other two hit the first defender at the near post again failing to use the height of the tallest man on the pitch. Even if he's playing badly, as a target man at set pieces he will create opportunities for others.

As for target practise, given that we took 30+mins to get a shot on target, in the second half within the same 30mins, we had 3 shots at goal from around the 18 yard line. Every one looked as if it went out of the ground.

I must admit our collective effort was well below it's usual level, with Scotland showing against Spain how determination and effort brings positive results.

Having said all that top o' the league wi' just 6 games to go, and loving every minute of it.

Wouldn't all those trolls from Dundee's second team just love to be in our shoes. That's why they cannae drag themselves away from our game  topics.

16 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

Surely following on from last weeks game, OC must insist on better use of any corners we win, and also target practice for everyone.

Against Arbroath I counted 5 corners where big Eze at 6'7" stood waiting in the box, as he had done against Inverness(and puting their defence under pressure every time).  3 of the 5 were taken as short corners, which all failed to get the ball in the box. The other two hit the first defender at the near post again failing to use the height of the tallest man on the pitch. Even if he's playing badly, as a target man at set pieces he will create opportunities for others.

As for target practise, given that we took 30+mins to get a shot on target, in the second half within the same 30mins, we had 3 shots at goal from around the 18 yard line. Every one looked as if it went out of the ground.

I must admit our collective effort was well below it's usual level, with Scotland showing against Spain how determination and effort brings positive results.

Having said all that top o' the league wi' just 6 games to go, and loving every minute of it.

Wouldn't all those trolls from Dundee's second team just love to be in our shoes. That's why they cannae drag themselves away from our game  topics.

image.gif.64841b64a1a671a12a741c25f7229b70.gif

In Saturday's match programme:

- John Greer chats to a favourite of both clubs, Mark Ferry,

- An interview with Connor McBride,

- John Greer chats to Rovers goalkeeper from the early 60s John Miller who enjoyed his recent visit to Stark's Park,

- Match reports and photos from the Cove and Hamilton games,

- A Memory Match from Hampden in December 2008,

- Photos and report from the recent International Women's Day celebrations at Stark's Park.

Plus all the usual features including the Manager's Notes, Mascots feature, On This Day, Quiz, Stats and Team Lines.

On sale in and around the ground for only £3

3532483362.jpg