Ryan Porteous

Lyle Lanley

The madness of this is that we’ve had so many centre backs in recent years that we’ve all worried about, but most of them have been outstanding.

Thinking of Gallagher, Hendry, Cooper, Souttar and Considine.

Probably others I’ve forgotten, but amazing the way they’ve all stepped up when needed.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The madness of this is that we’ve had so many centre backs in recent years that we’ve all worried about, but most of them have been outstanding.

Thinking of Gallagher, Hendry, Cooper, Souttar and Considine.

Probably others I’ve forgotten, but amazing the way they’ve all stepped up when needed.

Hanley has been there throughout. He was outstanding tonight - he is the old school Brian Cox school of acting to Porteous' Jeremy Strong's pantomime, constantly in character highly dramatic approach. Perfect Ying and Yang, 

The subtle difference being I’ve always rated Hanley. Probably our most consistently reliable out and out Centre back of the last… long time.

Who honesty expected Considine to knock it out the park at international level?

👏

I’ve been so incredibly impressed with Porteous for Scotland. I’d imagine there were massive question marks on his levels of concentration playing in pressure games for us a while back but he’s consistently been a contender for MOTM in every game. Big thing for me is his distribution of the ball, always looks to play through the lines. Something we’ve lacked for years it feels 

Best thing for his career was moving down south. He even came across incredibly well in his post match interview when asked some awkward questions about Rodri’s interview. Guarantee 18 months ago you’d of got a much different answer from the guy. He’s matured a lot as a footballer it seems 

11 hours ago, ArabFC said:

The subtle difference being I’ve always rated Hanley. Probably our most consistently reliable out and out Centre back of the last… long time.

Who honesty expected Considine to knock it out the park at international level?

👏

Me too, he's always been given a bad rap but he wins most in the air, recycles the ball well and wins his tackles. Also won us a few calm down fouls last night too.

If he hadn't pulled out/been injured so much he'd probably be close to 100 caps by now.

Our defence was never the problem.  When everyone was waxing lyrical on how good our midfield was, it was always our defence that bailed them out - and when they couldn't our defence got the blame.

Now our midfield has learned the art of defending our defenders are reaping just as much of the benefit.  

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

Always rated him would loved to have got him to Rangers a lot off people wouldn't have liked it but he is fit and ready he is strong good in the air has pace is brave starting to read the game better and can pass the ball,he has the ability to play at the top hopefully Watford go up

Got a feeling we'll see him move on within a couple of years like Robertson at Hull, for a decent sum of money as well £10m+

Only IMO of course.

Just now, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Got a feeling we'll see him move on within a couple of years like Robertson at Hull, for a decent sum of money as well £10m+

Only IMO of course.

Aye he'll get a bigger team hopefully Everton or Leeds United or someone maybe even West Ham might be sooner than we think be a lot off teams looking at him now after last night

Everybody knows about his exceptional passing range, but I like the way he offered an extra option to Hickey whenever he had the ball. The same way Tierney does to Robertson. It was definitely more apparent on Saturday as we had the ball a lot more and he was willing to get round Hickey a few times on the overlap. I just think that right sided centre half of a back 3 suits him down to the floor.

16 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Always rated him would loved to have got him to Rangers a lot off people wouldn't have liked it but he is fit and ready he is strong good in the air has pace is brave starting to read the game better and can pass the ball,he has the ability to play at the top hopefully Watford go up

I was watching the Spain game with mainly Celtic fans and a few said we missed a trick not going in for him but career wise it was best him going down south as media would have been all over him more signing for either side. Add in being challenged more as a defender down south and a more physical league it was the best move and think he will end up in the EPL one way or another in a few years.

Edited by gannonball

• 2 months later...

I saw some guy from Sky Sports suggesting the most likely way Scotland will replace Hanley is with Porteous. A view I've seen a couple of times on here. It's possible and I think he could do a good job based on what I've seen of him for Scotland but we do have other alternatives such as Hendry or Cooper who have played that role for Scotland in the past.

How often has Porteous played that kind of role at club level? I think for Hibs he's maybe done it but just from memory I don't think he has played that role for Watford. The tweet wouldn't embed but I've put the link below the link.

https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1669652023652888577

I feel like he'd consider Hendry in the middle given his height and aerial strength - I feel like he's played there before for us but couldn't pin down exactly which game. He's a bit soft for the role I think though.

Edited by craigkillie