Where does tonight rank?

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Surely this is up there with the greatest results in our history?

WC holders England in 1967 (A)... Euro holders Czechoslovakia in 1977... Netherlands at WC 1978... Spain in 1984... Belgium in 1987... France in 1989... were at greater heights of their power.

Akin to France in 2006 + 2007 (A) IMO.

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

WC holders England in 1967 (A)... Euro holders Czechoslovakia in 1977... Netherlands in 1978... Belgium in 1987... France in 1989... were at greater heights of their power. It's akin to France in 2006 + 2007 (A) IMO.

I was at that Belgium game in 1987, and I wouldn't put it alongside the others to be honest.

I know they'd been WC semi finalists a year earlier, but they weren't a huge power.  We were already virtually out by then too, so the crowd was small and it didn't feel significant.  

Tonight's was big, but is perhaps slightly diminished by coming so early in the campaign.

Tonight ranks up there with beating France in recent or fairly recent times I'm sure,but the eighties fame with Spain when Mo Jo got two doesn't loom as large now for this side

Cos they showed they can gi toe to toe,yes the back four never played together before but who cares that takes nothing away from this achievement and its Spain they got top players they guys tonight should grasped the nettle and tried harder

As the gaffer told them its 6 points and 6 points doesn't take us to finals,so lets not get carried away

If we want to be like the team that beat France we need to win in Madrid and beat Georgia away,we do that we can be excited that is me saying that AM

4 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

That game kept us on course for a play off, after coming from behind late on.

Yes, but are we not ranking particular results in relation to the stature of the opponents?  If it's just the importance of results, then the shoot-out win in Belgrade would have to trump everything for decades.

Depends whether you factor in the overall outcome of the campaign, which obviously in this case we don't know yet. 

This Spain team are obviously some way off the class of 2008-12 but in isolation it's probably behind the two France results in 06-07 when they were clearly one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the world. 

I get there's an element of me getting older but there were half a dozen guys in that Spain squad i had never heard of whereas I would guess 90% of the French team back then were widely known and world cup finalists.

Certainly top three material in my lifetime. Many of our other notable results came in qualifying campaigns that were already in the bin. I'd have it up there with the 2-0 vs France in 89 and McFadden's winner in Paris. If anything this was better, in that we fully merited that win. It wasn't a desperate backs-to-the-wall performance by any means. The win in France felt like a fluke, this absolutely wasn't. I can't remember the 2-0 game in 89 tbh. 

Just now, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Certainly top three material in my lifetime. Many of our other notable results came in qualifying campaigns that were already in the bin. I'd have it up there with the 2-0 vs France in 89 and McFadden's winner in Paris. If anything this was better, in that we fully merited that win. It wasn't a desperate backs-to-the-wall performance by any means. The win in France felt like a fluke, this absolutely wasn't. I can't remember the 2-0 game in 89 tbh. 

I was at both France games in 06/07 and the away game felt more comfortable, though that may have been due to 3 days on the piss beforehand.

The home game I'm sure they absolutely battered us, had a couple of goals disallowed for offside (one of which I think was wrong) and we scored with our only chance, whereas the away game was them having lots of possession but not doing much, albeit their keeper should have saved Faddys shot. 

Tonight, though it didn't feel it at the time was really comfortable in the second half, closest they got in the last twenty was Hanley nearly shanking an OG in.