Obscure/unique

9 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

In theory the quickest way to walk to Neilston railway station from the Brig O'Lee ground would be to walk along the disused railway line behind the far away goal.

Although the railway cops might take notice when you reached the single line turn back track just outside the station.

Not possible, the railway line stops after about 150 yards past the station, there is a large embankment with a road going across the top.

27 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

So the line did originally pass the ground?

Probably about 60/70 years ago. It went all the way to Ardrossan.

Edited by Monalie

18 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

The far side at Carluke is a field that rises and rises and rises, overshadowing the ground.

When I've done a headcount at games I've seen there, there's more cows on that bank watching the match than there are spectators.

Carluke -  the rolling hills, someone who was in their garden/field for most of the game and the tractor they parked on the running track round the pitch.

One of those grounds that is freezing even in May and August.

DSC04698.JPG

DSC04707.JPG

DSC04726.JPG

DSC04687.JPG

14 hours ago, Spyro said:

Invergordon have 14(ish) big fuel storage tanks that are linked to the secret WW2 bunker hidden inside the hills behind the town.

They, along with a few others, are within a few 100 yards of a distillery so I don't know if it's unique enough to count.

Orkney's offical home ground is at the beginning of a causeway between 2 islands

Grandad Bam, a civil engineer (died before I was born unfortunately), had a hand in building those. 

They have the world's longest echo or something.

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

Grandad Bam, a civil engineer (died before I was born unfortunately), had a hand in building those. 

They have the world's longest echo or something.

I'm sure there was around 15 (trying to picture them) of them, it's on Wiki! 

Ironically Zee Germans only hit no.13 so there's a gap in the middle of them. 

Yes, it's the complex going up the hill that has a mad echo. A lot of maps of the area are completely false in an attempt to conceal it

3 hours ago, RedEd said:

Hamilton Park is adjacent to Girvan Railway station. You could easily watch a match from the Stranraer bound platform.

Can get a solid decent view of the Newlandsfield pitch from the Pollokshaws East platform, think you could have watched the whole game before they built the flats on Newburgh Street

17 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

20221029_095510.thumb.jpg.ca92894de0c2abf4500474fd1c58de71.jpg

It’s a terrific amphitheatre which I love visiting. Sure I’ve seen a photograph of thousands at a game there in the distant pass. It must have been something special. 

6 minutes ago, Lurcer said:

It’s a terrific amphitheatre which I love visiting. Sure I’ve seen a photograph of thousands at a game there in the distant pass. It must have been something special. 

It was a Scottish Cup game versus Irvine Meadow in late 40s. Think the crowd was 20K plus.

5 minutes ago, Lurcer said:

Photo of a 1950s Junior cup tie was posted on the Junior forum a number of years back.

Things is, no way could 18,000 stand on the two sides without there being sort of terracing underfoot where  the grass banks are. 

17 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Photo of a 1950s Junior cup tie was posted on the Junior forum a number of years back.

Things is, no way could 18,000 stand on the two sides without there being sort of terracing underfoot where  the grass banks are. 

The days before health and safety. Bankings were regularly festooned with folks at the Highland Games in the 80s