THE RUN IN

If you put a gun to my head I'd probably rather avoid Falkirk and go for the 9th team in Championship too. But I don't think previous form matters all that much- playoffs are a 4 team tournament and you play who you play to come out on top.

We've been stung in the past in a few similar scenarios in the play-offs. 2010 we played Cowdenbeath 8 times...4 in the league, 2 in the cup (initial tie plus replay) and twice in the playoffs. We only lost one game out of eight to them which was sadly the pivotal playoff game.

Similarly in 2017 we had brushed Brechin aside 6 1 in the league very late on in the campaign...yet lost the playoff final on a penalty shootout.

On the basis of these traumatic moments, I'm happy to say we take who we get and if we get through it we are promoted on merit.

19 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

We've had our fair share of playoff heartbreak. Dundee United, Killie after having a 1-goal lead going into the second leg. Even though I'd prefer to face Alloa, the fact it would mean we will have faced off 7 times this season is depressing.

Have to agree, playing opposition 7 times in one season is deflating. 

Although playing Airdrie 6 times is only marginally better.

A small price to pay for the chance to get out of this tier 😐

Few teams do playoff heartbreak like Airdrie, if we're having a wee competition here. 

Lost the final six times and semi finals twice in 17 years, I believe was the tally wee totted up in our thread the other day. 

9th time's the charm? 🙃

In keeping with our current season we've barely been involved in playoffs over the years.

We were in the Premiership playoffs in 2014 and again in 2015 having finished 4th in the Championship, the second of those behind Hearts, Hibs and Rangers so 'best of the rest' but were beaten narrowly in 1st game v 3rd place both times. We were 3-1 up on aggregate at half time in the 2nd leg v Falkirk in 2014 but were hauled back to 3-3 and lost with 3 mins of extra time left. We were 2-2 on aggregate at half time at Ibrox in the 2nd leg in 2015 but Lee Wallace made it 3-2 and Rangers finished with 7 defenders on the pitch and Vukcic heading a Derek Lyle effort off the line to save them from extra time.

We've only once been involved in lower division playoffs, the Championship ones in 2019 which we won, battering both Montrose and Raith Rovers thanks to Dobbie and Dykes.

Do you reckon after tonight's games are played and the Championship relegation and play-off spot are confirmed there may be tactical results on Saturday?

For instance if Arbroath end up in the play-off spot would teams prefer to play them over Falkirk?

Just curious from an outside perspective..👀👀🤔

54 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

Do you reckon after tonight's games are played and the Championship relegation and play-off spot are confirmed there may be tactical results on Saturday?

For instance if Arbroath end up in the play-off spot would teams prefer to play them over Falkirk?

Just curious from an outside perspective..👀👀🤔

Can't really see it making any odds which team it is. There may be some preference for Alloa or Airdrie to play "Team 9" over Falkirk but if there is it won't really matter which team Team 9 is.

Personally if we were in it I'd rather play Team 9 I think but that's probably because our record against Falkirk isn't good.

I think Alloa and Airdrie will both play smart and rest up some players- but I think both will want to finish as high up the table as they can. Airdrie will probably really fancy their chances against Falkirk anyway.

Not 100% sure playing the 9th team is any easier or better. Arbroath look to be stumbling over the line to 8th but should they drop to 9th its probably still a 50/50 game for us or Airdrie. Cove have looked disastrous at times in terms of results and probably not the team they were last season. But they have a bit of momentum in recent weeks and should they get to 9th I think that momentum would make them a tough proposition. From a purely Alloa perspective, being paired with Hamilton would leave us without Michael Doyle who is on loan at Alloa from Accies. Whilst we could cope with his departure he's been an integral part of the team since he arrived.

I dont think it really matters- there wont be huge gaps in quality between any of the 4 and whoever wins the play-offs will do so on merit, and nothing to do with earlier games in the season.

21 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I think Alloa and Airdrie will both play smart and rest up some players- but I think both will want to finish as high up the table as they can. Airdrie will probably really fancy their chances against Falkirk anyway.

Not 100% sure playing the 9th team is any easier or better. Arbroath look to be stumbling over the line to 8th but should they drop to 9th its probably still a 50/50 game for us or Airdrie. Cove have looked disastrous at times in terms of results and probably not the team they were last season. But they have a bit of momentum in recent weeks and should they get to 9th I think that momentum would make them a tough proposition. From a purely Alloa perspective, being paired with Hamilton would leave us without Michael Doyle who is on loan at Alloa from Accies. Whilst we could cope with his departure he's been an integral part of the team since he arrived.

I dont think it really matters- there wont be huge gaps in quality between any of the 4 and whoever wins the play-offs will do so on merit, and nothing to do with earlier games in the season.

Logistically, I'm asking please let it not be Falkirk. Three days notice to organise the game. 9,000 at Hampden the other week and the playoff is arguably more important.

9th place championship will be a much quieter affair. I'd assume if Airdrie go through to the final it's more mundane figures. One can hope.

Edited by LeodhasXD

In theory you want to avoid the best team in the semi-final because there's a slight chance they lose in a shock result in the other semi-final and then you don't have to play them. But I don't think it's clear that Falkirk are much better than the 9th place Championship team, although if pushed I'd guess they probably are marginally.

I'm not majorly fussed either way but I'd probably prefer to finish 4th. I'd prefer Hamilton out the 3 but they look least likely at the moment.

I would hope for us being marginally better. Having been skelped twice by Dundee and by ICT, we know the top half of the Championship is beyond us.

Yes, we beat a slightly struggling Ayr 2-1, but if that had been a two legged affair, I doubt that we would have survived a trip to Somerset.

Hamilton, Cove, Arbroath……..it will be what it will be. I have no preference.

So, Airdrie haven’t won a play off, and their manager hasn’t won a play off (understandably). Falkirk haven’t won a play off, and McGlynn hasn’t won a play off.

All this points to Champ 9 or Alloa coming out on top. 😟

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So, Airdrie haven’t won a play off, and their manager hasn’t won a play off (understandably). Falkirk haven’t won a play off, and McGlynn hasn’t won a play off.

All this points to Champ 9 or Alloa coming out on top. 😟

I’ve (half-jokingly) said this for a while. Airdrie and Falkirk, the two biggest bottlers in Scottish football, coming together to make sure Alloa get promoted.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

I’ve (half-jokingly) said this for a while. Airdrie and Falkirk, the two biggest bottlers in Scottish football, coming together to make sure Alloa get promoted.

Tbf, Falkirk haven’t been involved in too many play offs whereas Airdrie and John McGlynn both have Season Tickets.

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Alloa have been in playoffs 8 times with 4 wins- decent enough record.

On that stat I wonder if there is any player who has been involved in more playoffs than Kevin Cawley.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can't really see it making any odds which team it is. There may be some preference for Alloa or Airdrie to play "Team 9" over Falkirk but if there is it won't really matter which team Team 9 is.

Personally if we were in it I'd rather play Team 9 I think but that's probably because our record against Falkirk isn't good.

All hypothetical but given team 9 turns out to be Hamilton I'm not sure comparative record would have supported that. 

I haven't checked that though.

Glad that Dunfermline quietly emptied all the folk predicting we would be on the beach for the last half of this quarter. McPake sets a high standard for the players which the fans demand and the players have bought into delivering regardless of what our league position means.