THE RUN IN

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Interesting point by @Skyline Drifter about how Pars would react to a bunch of games with nothing to play for. 

Obviously if it came to the last day of the season and Alloa beating us would consign Falkirk to 5th spot then McPake would go out on the piss that day leaving Dave MacKay in charge of a team of kids, crocks and charlatans.

In that scenario, we are all Athletic.

I'll have a go at this, not that I'm often right (well, according to my wife anyway!).

Obviously, Dunfermline have won the league.

I'll then go for Falkirk vs Airdrie semi final as 2nd vs 3rd.

I also then remain hopeful my Edinburgh side regain some form to sneak the 4th spot.

Probably we'd play Hamilton Accies in the other semi final.

If Airdrie keep their good form going, I see them beating Falkirk and likely playing Hamilton in the final.

That's a 50/50 game for me.

At the bottom, hopefully Peterhead find a couple of wins and relegate Clyde.

Still, couldn't see  Peterhead (or Clyde) coming through a play-off with the League 2 contenders.

32 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Hamilton would dispatch Airdrie fairly comfortably in my humble opinion. 

By way of an indicator, there wasn't really that much between Accies and Queens in the Diddy Cup semi-final though (and yes, I know Diddy Cup and all that - but they did take it seriously, and won the cup after all at the weekend there against Raith).  So for me an Accies win wouldn't be a certainty.

Coming down from the Championship will be Cove I think - they're in freefall on a run of five defeats on the spin, whereas Arbroath are now unbeaten in five.  So I think Arbroath may escape this and it will be Accies in the playoff spot to avoid the drop to the land that time forgot.

That said, I'd prefer Arbroath to drop though cos (like Alloa) hell freezes over before Queens ever beat Accies.

Edited by Otis Blue

Can't see Dunfermline dropping many points certainly not enough to cause concern. They are up. As for the rest I think the playoffs will be us, Alloa and Airdrie. I think we will get second then it's up to Alloa or Airdrie to see who gets 3rd or 4th.  I see Edinburgh missing out, at the bottom I think both Clyde and Peterhead go down. From the championship perspective I think there could be two teams down this season especially if the bottom places in the championship stay as they are. I think Hamilton would be the toughest nut to crack strangely and they are bottom albeit with a couple of games in hand. I'd fancy us or Airdrie over two games against Cove or Arbroath. 

Edited by ebobsboy

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

It'd depend which Airdrie shows up. The best performance I saw from them against us* was in the first half of the first game. They were spraying the ball really well, crisp passing and basically parked in our half. They barely laid a serious glove on us though and only went in 1 up. We got an equaliser in the second half. They were much poorer in the second game at Palmerston but then the evidence just now suggests we were much better. They've completely blown sides away throughout the season so I wouldn't back against them in any match incase that side turns up. 

Think the playoffs could make for some good games regardless this year. 

*Never saw them in the away game but that was still a draw. 

Still so many possibilities apart from Dunfermline as champions and Falkirk in second place. Saturdays game between Alloa and Airdrie will determine who finishes third. Can't see Queens or Montrose catching up but Edinburgh will still be there. 

At the foot I hope a more settled Peterhead  escape automatic relegation as I want to experience yet another trip to the great fish tea in Stonehaven 

As to who'se in the bottom two from Championship I'd love to see Cove relegated and a wee Lanarkshire derby would be good if we have to finish fourth.

All to play for.

2 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Genuinely hard to tell with us. Every team in this league have had a spell (occasionally full games) against us where we’ve looked unplayable but as you’ll know more than most teams, if you can flip that momentum and put pressure on us we can crumble.

In terms of teams from higher leagues we played St. Mirren off the park (admittedly once they went down to 10 men), were a goalkeeping disaster away from beating Dundee (before crumbling in extra time with a man sent off and playing a bunch of kids) and we played ok at Arbroath but they were clinical and just looked a level above us that day.

We’re just a very frustrating team. As others have said, I wouldn’t back against us against anyone but equally we could win a first leg 5-0 and I still wouldn’t be fully confident about the second leg. The big job is getting to that stage first.

Quite a few people on the thread keen to say that the L1 will come up short against 9th from the Championship but I'm not so sure. Cove's form is absolutely honking and Arbroath and Hamilton haven't looked great when I've seen them on BBC.

13 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Quite a few people on the thread keen to say that the L1 will come up short against 9th from the Championship but I'm not so sure. Cove's form is absolutely honking and Arbroath and Hamilton haven't looked great when I've seen them on BBC.

Hartley being shown up for the imposter he is? Well I never! 

41 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Cove will finish bottom though so aren't a factor. Hamilton's form lately has been playoffs in the other direction. I think they'll come past Arbroath. Arbroath aren't what they were 12 months ago by the look of it but I've not seen much of them this season. They'll not be easy to get past for any of the League 1 playoff sides. I imagine it will be tight.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

I'm a fan of McIntyre, more than most I'd imagine so this warms my heart. 

Aye I'm expecting Arbroath - you know what you're going to get from them. Get it into the final third as quickly as possible; chase every ball down. They've had a real problem scoring this season.

Expect that side of the playoffs to be decided by narrow margins after an eye-bleeding 90 minutes.

This week's fixtures:

Alloa v Airdrie
Clyde v Falkirk
Dunfermline v Kelty
Edinburgh v Montrose
QoS v Peterhead

No doubt where the pick of the games is. It's at the Indodrill where Alloa and Airdrie will decide who is in pole position to clinch the 2nd playoff spot potentially. Certainly an Alloa win to go 5 points clear of Airdrie with 5 games to go will be a relatively decent gap. Especially with Dunfermline to come at home on the last day when the title will be long clinched. A draw will keep things tight between them and an Airdrie win would really put them in pole position though they have for me the slightly harder run in.

Elsewhere you'd expect Falkirk to return to winning form at Clyde and QoS to beat Peterhead (new manager in place by the weekend?). Montrose's faint hopes would be ended by anything other than a win at Edinburgh surely. An Edinburgh win though puts them right back in the mix despite last week's loss. The Fife derby will be competitive no doubt but Kelty are fundamentally playing for nothing now (can't go down, will be confirmed as not going up within the fortnight and in reality are destined for 8th) and I'd be very surprised if Dunfermline don't ease to another win on their way to the title.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This week's fixtures:

Alloa v Airdrie
Clyde v Falkirk
Dunfermline v Kelty
Edinburgh v Montrose
QoS v Peterhead

No doubt where the pick of the games is. It's at the Indodrill where Alloa and Airdrie will decide who is in pole position to clinch the 2nd playoff spot potentially. Certainly an Alloa win to go 5 points clear of Airdrie with 5 games to go will be a relatively decent gap. Especially with Dunfermline to come at home on the last day when the title will be long clinched. A draw will keep things tight between them and an Airdrie win would really put them in pole position though they have for me the slightly harder run in.

Elsewhere you'd expect Falkirk to return to winning form at Clyde and QoS to beat Peterhead (new manager in place by the weekend?). Montrose's faint hopes would be ended by anything other than a win at Edinburgh surely. An Edinburgh win though puts them right back in the mix despite last week's loss. The Fife derby will be competitive no doubt but Kelty are fundamentally playing for nothing now (can't go down, will be confirmed as not going up within the fortnight and in reality are destined for 8th) and I'd be very surprised if Dunfermline don't ease to another win on their way to the title.

They have the added incentive in that if they fail to beat Clyde and Dunfermline beat Kelty, then the Pars could win the title at the Falkirk Stadium the following week. They won't want that to happen, so will need to show a bit more spirit than they have since the Ayr game.

A couple of the comments above and on the Falkirk thread tweaked my interest enough in what the difference would be if Dunfermline hadn't been in the league but, unsurprisingly given their dominance, overall the table looks much the same as now albeit it'd be a more interesting run in for that promotion place with at least 15 points up for grabs for everyone down to Montrose in theoretical contention for the top spot. 

image.png.5ff1d98135e98e450b5c13323c65f435.png

On 27/03/2023 at 12:53, da_no_1 said:

Aging poorly, hopefully will continue to next week. More seriously, it seems the Accies are now in injury trouble too, so it may well be Cove in whatever playoffs occur