THE RUN IN

1 hour ago, Parsman85 said:

In reply to a few comments regarding pars attitude when League has bee won. I don't think Mcpake will allow them to drop off. We will want to keep the unbeaten run going and to finish the league campaign with just the one defeat would be a tremendous effort. Especially after last season.  

44 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Agreed, our mentality won’t shift,  there will be no coasting along from us,  perhaps a very minor relaxation in terms of injury or suspension risk.

Heard all this before and yet, year after year, teams with titles clinched, either consciously or unconsciously, turn off the afterburners and coast into the season ending beach trip. Either by consciously having a look at more young players or different combinations, or unconsciously by players just not leaving a foot in when they might get injured or not doing the hard yards. I'll believe it when I see it. Dunfermline are the best team in this division but they aren't miles ahead of everyone else. It wouldn't take much of a drop off to start dropping points.

2 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Can’t see Arbroath/Cove losing over two legs against any one. 

Am I right in thinking Cove have won one match in their last 13? They’ll be helluva fragile. And anytime I’ve seen Arbroath this season they’ve been honking - albeit pumped us 3-0 in the League Cup groups.

I do think Airdrie have the hardest run in but going in to it in the best possible way, although seeing as the Airdrie ethos is to build up the hope to then fall apart at the final hurdle I fully expect us to reach the final day in the top four, only to then be skelped off Meadowbank Athletics Club on the final day.

Failing that, knocking out Falkirk in the play-offs could be fun.

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Heard all this before and yet, year after year, teams with titles clinched, either consciously or unconsciously, turn off the afterburners and coast into the season ending beach trip. Either by consciously having a look at more young players or different combinations, or unconsciously by players just not leaving a foot in when they might get injured or not doing the hard yards. I'll believe it when I see it. Dunfermline are the best team in this division but they aren't miles ahead of everyone else. It wouldn't take much of a drop off to start dropping points.

Oh I know that it happens but not all the time,  often teams keep up the same performance levels and even with a bit of rotation they don't drop off.  I just don't believe that its in our squads and especially mcpake's mentality to not enter a match without sheer determination to get a positive result.   

Oh and we are 11 points clear having lost 1 game all season,  any suggestion we aren't comfortably better than the rest is clearly false.

Edited by parsforlife

Another thing worth mentioning is that I gave up on the playoffs by about the end of December/January time. I wasn't even calling for WGs head as I didn't think anyone would have a chance of turning our shitshow outfit around. That we're still in with a shot of the playoffs with 6 games to go is an indictment of this division really. 

I still expect us to fall short as I'm not being suckered in the now that we've stopped gifting sides cheap goals but given how shit we've been and our current position I wouldn't say anyone out with the top 2 are playoff certainties as they should have been well out of sight from us long before now. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I fully agree on your first point. Truthfully once we win the title I'd be absolutely fine with us turning off tbh. 

I'm not sure what constitutes a mile in football league terms, but being 11 points ahead in first place must be very close. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We have played absolutely terrible some times this season and still drew or won the game. On our day we are many miles ahead of everyone else. As I said already Mcpake won't allow the team to drop off. The defence will want to keep this amazing defensive record going as concede as few goals as possible between now and season end regardless if league is won or not. The team as a whole may also be thinking to get to end of the season with only 1 defeat is a great achievement. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Oh I know that it happens but not all the time,  often teams keep up the same performance levels and even with a bit of rotation they don't drop off.  I just don't believe that its in our squads and especially mcpake's mentality to not enter a match without sheer determination to get a positive result.   

Oh and we are 11 points clear having lost 1 game all season,  any suggestion we aren't comfortably better than the rest is clearly false.

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I fully agree on your first point. Truthfully once we win the title I'd be absolutely fine with us turning off tbh. 

I'm not sure what constitutes a mile in football league terms, but being 11 points ahead in first place must be very close. 

7 minutes ago, Parsman85 said:

We have played absolutely terrible some times this season and still drew or won the game. On our day we are many miles ahead of everyone else. As I said already Mcpake won't allow the team to drop off. The defence will want to keep this amazing defensive record going as concede as few goals as possible between now and season end regardless if league is won or not. The team as a whole may also be thinking to get to end of the season with only 1 defeat is a great achievement. 

Genuinely didn't mean to upset the Dunfermline fans. I think I've not really got over what I meant. You're miles clear as the best team in the division. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. However, what I meant is that you're not blowing teams away in the sense that Airdrie have over the last 3 games and the way we did when we battered this division in 2013, breaking points and scoring records, etc (only for Rangers to rebreak them the season after). You'll deservedly win the league by a mile because you are the best team and very consistent in winning games relatively narrowly. In individual match terms it won't take that big a drop off to turn wins into draws and draws into losses.

Comments like "McPake won't allow it" are meaningless. No manager "allows it", it just happens much of the time. Not always, but very frequently. Perhaps Dunfermline will steamroller their way to the end of the season without anyone laying a glove on them though, we'll see. I certainly don't think anybody can say for certain right now it won't happen. I'd far rather our game v Dunfermline on April 15th is meaningless than meaningful so hopefully you can stretch your lead before then.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Genuinely didn't mean to upset the Dunfermline fans. However, what I meant is that you're not blowing teams away in the sense that Airdrie have over the last 3 games and the way we did when we battered this division in 2013, breaking points and scoring records, etc (only for Rangers to rebreak them the season after). You'll deservedly win the league by a mile because you are the best team and very consistent in winning games relatively narrowly In individual match terms it won't take that big a drop off to turn wins into draws and draws into losses.

You haven’t upset me, we’re just bams on the internet spouting our opinions, it takes a lot more to upset me than someone not agreeing with my one.  However you are taking utter shite to suggest just because a team like airdrie are capable of winning by a few goals have better than a consistent team.   Airdrie have shown their ability to chuck results regularly, we haven’t.   Your last comment seems strange,  we are built on turning draws into wins and the odd game we aren’t good at all to be leaving with a point minimum, that isn’t going to suddenly flip.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Genuinely didn't mean to upset the Dunfermline fans. I think I've not really got over what I meant. You're miles clear as the best team in the division. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. However, what I meant is that you're not blowing teams away in the sense that Airdrie have over the last 3 games and the way we did when we battered this division in 2013, breaking points and scoring records, etc (only for Rangers to rebreak them the season after). You'll deservedly win the league by a mile because you are the best team and very consistent in winning games relatively narrowly. In individual match terms it won't take that big a drop off to turn wins into draws and draws into losses.

Comments like "McPake won't allow it" are meaningless. No manager "allows it", it just happens much of the time. Not always, but very frequently. Perhaps Dunfermline will steamroller their way to the end of the season without anyone laying a glove on them though, we'll see. I certainly don't think anybody can say for certain right now it won't happen. I'd far rather our game v Dunfermline on April 15th is meaningless than meaningful so hopefully you can stretch your lead before then.

I do think I know what you meant but I disagree. I've been to every game this season so have seen it all. You mention we don't blow teams away etc but even in the games we've won 1-0, that scoreline is not a true reflection on how the game has went. You would look at that and think it was a close well contested game. In reality rarely have we been threatened. Not saying we have not been threatened but rarely we have. We get our goal and see the game out. In the first game against Edinburgh at home for example, we completely dominated but won the game from an injury time own goal. Looking at that some would've said lucky. But Edinburgh came for the draw and sat in. We battered away and finally got the goal we deserved. The only time I can recall being complacent  all season was giving away a 2 goal lead late on to Peterhead. We have had the odd shocking performance but as I said we have still only lost the 1 game all season. Mcpake has got it spot on this season. 

On another note regarding your team I'm quite surprised at how queen's have performed this season. In the 3 games I've seen against yous it has been like 3 different teams each time. I wish yous all the best for reaching a play off spot. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

You haven’t upset me, we’re just bams on the internet spouting our opinions, it takes a lot more to upset me than someone not agreeing with my one.  However you are taking utter shite to suggest just because a team like airdrie are capable of winning by a few goals have better than a consistent team.   Airdrie have shown their ability to chuck results regularly, we haven’t.   Your last comment seems strange,  we are built on turning draws into wins and the odd game we aren’t good at all to be leaving with a point minimum, that isn’t going to suddenly flip.

Not for one second did I suggest Airdrie are better than Dunfermline. 

@Parsman85 got what I meant and I accept his point in return. We'll see how the Pars results go once the title is clinched. Until then I'm taking 'McPake wont allow it' comments with an entire salt cellar, not just a pinch of it.

6 games to go, Dunfermline worthy winners,   Falkirk safe in second,  can they keep the intensity levels though,  with the semi a distraction...

playoffs are getting very interesting Allo a play Airdrie this week, massive game for both sides... Both sides in good form,   Airdrie doing what Airdrie do and ride the off form teams,  Kelt y and Peter head were miles off it,  Clyde made a game of it, but ran out of ideas quickly.... IMO Airdrie need to beat either Dunfermline for Falkirk to make the playoffs,  we are 3 ahead of Edinburgh who still have Peter head an Clyde to play.

if i was a betting man Allo a would be third and it will be a last day showdown Airdrie away to Edinburgh..

Queens and Montrose are too far back,  too many teams to chase down

1 hour ago, Parsman85 said:

On another note regarding your team I'm quite surprised at how queen's have performed this season. In the 3 games I've seen against yous it has been like 3 different teams each time. I wish yous all the best for reaching a play off spot. 

Our season has been awful. No getting away from it. Not winning the league is understandable, not even challenging for the top half, never mind a playoff spot, is unacceptable. 

The first half of the season was far too inconsistent, and home results particularly awful. We never laid a glove on you in the first 2-0 game at Palmerston. It could have been 4 or 5 if you wanted it. On the other hand our trip to EEP was one of our rare good outings and I thought we were a little unlucky not to win in the end. 

Bartley has taken a while to get a little momentum going and your 3rd game was really before he did. For all it was also 2-0 we did at least compete a little better. Still a comfortable Pars win though.

We're looking better in the last month but its almost certainly too late with neither Alloa nor Airdrie looking like blowing up. We'll almost certainly come up short unless one of them loses at least 4 or their last 6. Even that might not be enough. The only bonus is I think neither has Clyde or Peterhead still to play. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Got to agree with Skyline on this.  If we get over the line with a game(s) to spare, I wouldn't be putting any money on us ending the season on only one defeat.

Our "success" to date is built on intensity, organisation and 100% focus.  McPake and Co have done an incredible job getting the guys up for every single match this season.  It would be very difficult to maintain exactly the same levels in a scenario when the league is done.  Maybe if we were unbeaten, but that's not the case.

For instance, I wouldn't fancy us at Airdrie if it's over by then and they really need the points.  On the flip side, I could see a situation where Clyde get a hammering at the last home game - shackles off, KRH, Mahon, Todd, Edwards, Comrie/McDonald etc. all with the license to bomb forward.

Just now, DA-go Par Adonis said:

If we get over the line with a game(s) to spare, I wouldn't be putting any money on us ending the season on only one defeat.

The club record of 20 games is still in sight...

I wish I shared others confidence that we'd get through a 2 legged play off against potentially Dumbarton or Stirling. Dumbarton have already beat us comfortably in the Scottish Cup this season. 

FWIW I wouldn't be surprised if we finish bottom. Can't see us taking a single point from our remaining 6 games which includes a trip to Peterhead. We're 3 points clear of them just now with a much better goal difference so it would require Peterhead picking up points from one of their other fixtures too. Going to come down to very fine margins I feel.

I think the top 4 will probably stay the way it currently is.

We've got games against most of the teams around us still to come, including a big one against Airdrie on Saturday. Reckon it'll be Falkirk, Airdrie and Alloa in the play off spots but I don't see us winning them.

Would like Stirling to come up for a local derby next season.

Interesting point by @Skyline Drifter about how Pars would react to a bunch of games with nothing to play for. 

Obviously if it came to the last day of the season and Alloa beating us would consign Falkirk to 5th spot then McPake would go out on the piss that day leaving Dave MacKay in charge of a team of kids, crocks and charlatans.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Interesting point by @Skyline Drifter about how Pars would react to a bunch of games with nothing to play for. 

Obviously if it came to the last day of the season and Alloa beating us would consign Falkirk to 5th spot then McPake would go out on the piss that day leaving Dave MacKay in charge of a team of kids, crocks and charlatans.

If we reached that point, I'd be less concerned with scraping fourth, and more interested in getting the pitchfork out and demanding a number of mutual consentings