Family Cap Record

Craigkillie was joking about Angus and Bryan Gunn moving one closer to the father son cap record set by Kenny and Paul Dalglish (102/0). I wondered what the family record is when both actually have a cap.

Multisport I'm sure it will be the Beatties with father John capped at Rugby with son Johnny also a rugby cap and Jen with many for the ladies football team. Just wondering if anyone knows the football record. 

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Arnur Gudjohnsen 73 Iceland Caps. Son Einar got 88.

It's likely a record will be held by a family from San Marino or some such small country 

Good call. Was thinking Scotland. Should have worded the question better

20 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Arnur Gudjohnsen 73 Iceland Caps. Son Einar got 88.

It's likely a record will be held by a family from San Marino or some such small country 

Not to forget Andri who made his 15th cap following his family lineage.

Was surprised Cesare Maldini only had 14 caps I had always assumed he had more.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Archie Gemmill won 43 caps and Scott won 26, not sure if anyone can beat that.

Always found Scot to be a very underwhelming player having seen him on a regular basis down south.

Incredible he won that many caps when you think guys like John Wark, Brian McClair, Gordon McQueen, Lou Macari,  Steve Nicol, Alan Hansen and many other higher profile names won similar amounts.

Different era I guess with more games and less competition.

https://eu-football.info/_players.php?id=254&data=9&page=3

Also on the world stage, Abedi Pele got 73 caps for Ghana and 3 of his sons Andre (113), Jordan (89) and Rahim (7) followed him. Abedi’s brother, Kwame also managed to get in on the act with 25 caps.

I thought Diego Forlan might have been in with a shout as he’s from three generations of footballers but it was only himself (112 caps) and his dad, Pablo (17) who turned out for Uruguay. His grandad, Juan, had to make do with club football in Argentina.

9 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

I thought Diego Forlan might have been in with a shout as he’s from three generations of footballers but it was only himself (112 caps) and his dad, Pablo (17) who turned out for Uruguay. His grandad, Juan, had to make do with club football in Argentina.

That’s forlorn.

I think that Ian Wright has the record for most England caps without going to a major tournament.

Shaun Wright-Phllips' son plays for Stoke so if he gets into the England team it'll be three generations.

His son's name is D'Margio Wright-Phillips.

Edited by ICTChris

On 04/04/2023 at 13:59, ICTChris said:

Ian Wright and Shaun Wright-Phillips won a total of 69 England caps (33 for Ian, 36 for Shaun).

On 04/04/2023 at 14:02, Molotov said:

That’s incredible that his son won more. Jeezo.

Ian Wright, like Vardy more recently, came to top division football relatively late. He also played at a time when the likes of Shearer, Sheringham and Owen were ahead of him. 

How on earth an average player like Shaun Wright-Phillips got 36 though is unfathomable. 🤯

Edited by Skyline Drifter