Stadium and pitch investment

On 28/03/2023 at 15:51, TheScarf said:

I'm able bodied but am I f**k walking back to Inverness!

All brilliant jokes aside, my issue is the lack of input from the Police to get the area dispersed of people.  As I mentioned on the Cyprus match thread, there was a number of cross-junctions in and around Hampden with 4-way lights with a what felt like a 10 mile stream or cars and buses all going one way towards the M74 and the other 3 exits and these cross-junctions had no one at them.  They could easily have been ignored and we could've been herded through by the copious amounts of police all over the place who were stood next to their motorcycles all with their fingers up there arse.  It's common practice at big events for the police to do this and what I've seen at Hampden before for gigs etc.

Totally true. A bit of organisation and it would be dead easy. Ban non football traffic for an hour either side of the game

On 27/03/2023 at 23:21, craigkillie said:

There is a redevelopment of some sort planned for Hampden if we are successful in this bid for Euro 2028, which I suspect we will be.

Would hope if the SFA/UEFA spend coin on the stadium that the UK/Scottish Governments can do something to improve the transport links. Even basic stuff like I don't think any of the train stations that serve Hampden are wheelchair accessible.

If money was no object the obvious extending the subway would be the gold standard to add to the bus, train and walking routes away from the stadium. I don't know if there would be any demand but a place to leave you bike might be handy for locals going to the game.

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Nextbike have a station at Hamdpen. Don't know if it has electric bike docks but another transport option.....

You can get to Hampden from the City Centre and about 75% of the way is on dedicated cycle routes. It’s a great way to get to and from the stadium although it depends on how much drink has been taken to make it viable / safe! I have tried to persuade my East coast friends who I go to the games with to get Next bike accounts without success so far. 

On 28/03/2023 at 13:13, Pie Of The Month said:

A stadium owned by a subsidiary of the Welsh Rugby Union that the football team have played in once in since 2011 isn't really a combined national stadium anymore is it? There must be better examples than that.

What about the stade de France and the Aviva? 

7 hours ago, Snobot said:

You can get to Hampden from the City Centre and about 75% of the way is on dedicated cycle routes. It’s a great way to get to and from the stadium although it depends on how much drink has been taken to make it viable / safe! I have tried to persuade my East coast friends who I go to the games with to get Next bike accounts without success so far. 

I use NextBikes all the time in Glasgow mainly from West End into the city centre and back. More and more cycle routes allow you to avoid drivers that seem to get more and more incensed by the sight of a bike on "their" road. 

The new South Cycle Way will take you all the way from the city centre to top of Victoria Road. Cut through Queen's Park and you've only a wee bit of Cathcart Road to negotiate without a segregated cycle lane. 

Admittedly would be chaos getting there and back if thousands took to NextBikes ha but it is a great option if an afternoon game and you/your group remain fairly sober - at least ahead of the return journey. 

I've walked back to the city from Hampden when kick-off has been at a decent time. But for evening games I'd be in danger of missing my last bus hame.

In European cities they would have extended a matchdays-only branch from Mount Florida Station to the stadium or extended the Subway to actually go somewhere (like Hampden).

Watching La Liga tonight and Real Mallorca are in the process of reprofiling the Son Moix, or to give it its official name the Visit Mallorca Estadi. Originally built as a mixed use stadium, it now has had its running track removed, with stands behind the goals being rebuilt and the touchline stands reprofiled to be closer to the pitch. It looks night and day if the artists impressions are to be believed.

So if a club that’s bouncing around between La Liga & La Liga Smartbank can undertake such work, why can’t a national association do it?

For reference, the before and predicted afters:

image.thumb.jpeg.9248537bf220d1022f3678c97f8686fc.jpeg

image.jpeg.2d6481c1e762ea19e35709a91d97835d.jpeg

Really need to try and get to a game next I’m on holiday. 

10 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Watching La Liga tonight and Real Mallorca are in the process of reprofiling the Son Moix, or to give it its official name the Visit Mallorca Estadi. Originally built as a mixed use stadium, it now has had its running track removed, with stands behind the goals being rebuilt and the touchline stands reprofiled to be closer to the pitch. It looks night and day if the artists impressions are to be believed.

So if a club that’s bouncing around between La Liga & La Liga Smartbank can undertake such work, why can’t a national association do it?

Answer,  cause they don't want to, they like it the way it is 

Which they're wrong about 

12 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I've walked back to the city from Hampden when kick-off has been at a decent time. But for evening games I'd be in danger of missing my last bus hame.

In European cities they would have extended a matchdays-only branch from Mount Florida Station to the stadium or extended the Subway to actually go somewhere (like Hampden).

It goes to Ibrox 

12 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The ends on the new one look pretty small.  At Hampden, they'd need to be really large in order to offer a decent overall capacity.

13 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

A branch from Mount Florida to Hampden? 😅

Would be great to see them demolish people’s homes and businesses and rip up the roads so they can somehow have trains go at a right angle towards the stadium, all to save people a ten minute walk.

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

A branch from Mount Florida to Hampden? 😅

Would be great to see them demolish people’s homes and businesses and rip up the roads so they can somehow have trains go at a right angle towards the stadium, all to save people a ten minute walk.

Oh, don't be silly.

14 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

I use NextBikes all the time in Glasgow mainly from West End into the city centre and back. More and more cycle routes allow you to avoid drivers that seem to get more and more incensed by the sight of a bike on "their" road. 

The new South Cycle Way will take you all the way from the city centre to top of Victoria Road. Cut through Queen's Park and you've only a wee bit of Cathcart Road to negotiate without a segregated cycle lane. 

Admittedly would be chaos getting there and back if thousands took to NextBikes ha but it is a great option if an afternoon game and you/your group remain fairly sober - at least ahead of the return journey. 

I just have visions of the Tartan Army Lycra Division led by @velo army

IMG_1180.webp.5c600d1e0b6950ca18fff0b414902932.webp

IMG_1178.webp.da3dee91933dfe9422f7563a3bc932f1.webp

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The ends on the new one look pretty small.  At Hampden, they'd need to be really large in order to offer a decent overall capacity.

I don't imagine they're advocating an exact replica. That stand to the left of the picture looks like the south stand at Hampden. Joining it up to the east and west stands which would both be steep banks like the Westfahlenstadion in Dortmund would be my preference.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

I don't imagine they're advocating an exact replica. That stand to the left of the picture looks like the south stand at Hampden. Joining it up to the east and west stands which would both be steep banks like the Westfahlenstadion in Dortmund would be my preference.

Yes, I know.

I was simply making the point that, while the poster was questioning why a fairly modest Spanish outfit could afford to do this when we can't, the scale of change we'd need would be far greater, and costlier.

Is there scope to shift the pitch closer to the South stand or is the rake designed for viewing the pitch in its current position only? 

Rebuilding the North with the pitch in its current position would be difficult as not a lot of room there.