Stadium and pitch investment

17 minutes ago, pub car king said:

That fucking country estate of space behind each goal is the worst part of it. What it needs is 2 high bank stands instead that are each about 6 foot from the grass. They could easily be attached to the main standto keep it enclosed. 

Is there any scope to dig down and put the pitch lower than it is now?  Which would also let you add seats to both stands along the sides of the pitch. 

How the f**k it maintains it uefa rating for european finals is beyond me the place is a fucking throw back. 

There’s a river running underneath the stadium which would probably prevent you digging deeper.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

How the f**k it maintains it uefa rating for european finals is beyond me the place is a fucking throw back. 

Now too small for a Champions League final. 

The five star rating is due to the facilities in the South Stand. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The view behind the goals at Murrayfield is worse than anything at Hampden, IMO.

Hard agree - have been to Murrayfield for two events, one was Oasis in 2009 and one was Hearts v Killie in 2017. I was in the back row of the lower tier in the north stand (behind the goals) and the front row of seats was miles away from the grass pitch, let alone the distance from the grass to the goal line. Maybe that's not such a big deal for the rugby, but it wasn't great. Hampden is by no means perfect, but give me a game of football there any day over a game of football at Murrayfield.

I tend to avoid Hampden (unless it was a QP game- no traffic issues there) so yesterday was a rare outing to a Scotland game. I drove from Edinburgh, took a convoluted route and was able to park within 10 minutes walk from the ground. The 2pm kick off was handy as I wasn't in a hurry to get back home. Evening kick offs are more tricky, even for someone just 45 miles from the place let alone from Dundee or Aberdeen 

A new ground around Falkirk/Stirling would probably have seen me stuck in a car park for 40 minutes waiting for the traffic to dissipate. Ibrox has fairly good transport links but I've been stuck in Rangers traffic on the M8 before (can't remember where I'd been but it wasn't a case of Big Team found btw).

21 hours ago, Donathan said:

Is there another European country which has a permanent national stadium that’s not in the capital?

The likes of Spain, Germany and Italy take games around the country whilst England, France, Wales and many others have a permanent stadium, but always in the capital.

Flatten it and play the games at Murrayfield. 

What benefit does Murrayfield have? Views are marginally better at best and you can stand for an hour waiting for a tram as well as a train? 

37 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

What benefit does Murrayfield have? Views are marginally better at best and you can stand for an hour waiting for a tram as well as a train? 

Bigger capacity and it’s actually in the national capital. 

Of course the best solution of all would be to bulldoze both Hampden and Murrayfield and build a 90,000 capacity genuine national stadium somewhere on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I’d suggest somewhere just North/West of the airport so with the tram line being extended accordingly.

Edited by Donathan

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The capital such an aribtrary thing to think is important here, why is it relevant to where a sports stadium is?

Across UEFA’s 55 member nations, some have a national stadium (e.g., France, Norway, Denmark, England, Wales, Scotland, Austria), whereas others like Spain/Italy/Germany travel around the different club ground.

The key point though is that countries which do use a national stadium, it’s nearly always located in the capital. The only counterexample I can find (apart from Hampden) is Malta who play in Ta’Qali rather than Valletta.

59 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Bigger capacity and it’s actually in the national capital. 

Of course the best solution of all would be to bulldoze both Hampden and Murrayfield and build a 90,000 capacity genuine national stadium somewhere on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I’d suggest somewhere just North/West of the airport so with the tram line being extended accordingly.

Aye in some ways its odd to not have it in the capital, in a normal country. But then i think theres an argument that Edinburgh is a hotbed of no voters who denied their own city the right to be a proper capital by wetting the bed in 2014. Now people can argue about the separation of football and politics all they want, but I disagree, the two are linked. Historically Glasgow is the birthplace of international football, its the working class capital of Scotland, its where our football has always been centred so who is anyone to change that without a genuinely compelling reason.

Could there be improvements, absolutely, attended on saturday for my sons first ever visit and its clear the place is a mess, turnstiles in the East stand were incredibly crowded, its impossible to walk around the ground properly at the East side too, which is a farce. The catering was a complete disgrace, queuing outside at the stalls and being knocked back by staff saying they didnt have any hot food, just drinks, going inside and being screamed at by catering staff to queue outside, telling them ‘we’ve just been outside and they told us they didnt have food’ then the staff being incredibly passive aggressive telling me that they didnt say that etc. basically 20 minutes to get a fucking pie that cost a fortune, £17 or something for 2 pies, 2 waters and a flat coke. On top of the £70 for tickets for a shite view. The costs of attending 1 game at Hampden would almost pay for a full season ticket at my club. Aye it was good to see a win, but the experience was pish. 

I was in the lower tier for Hearts v Saints at Murrayfield 5 years ago or so when Tynecastle’s Main Stand being built.

As someone who’d previously felt Murrayfield would be ideal for big Scotland football internationals with it being square behind the goals etc, I was shocked at how poor an experience it was.  You are miles back behind the goals with a dreadful view of the far end and the facilities in the ground are very limited.

Its location near a major rail station and near lots of bars and restaurants is better, put purely on stadium alone it offers little improvement over Hampden.

58 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Across UEFA’s 55 member nations, some have a national stadium (e.g., France, Norway, Denmark, England, Wales, Scotland, Austria), whereas others like Spain/Italy/Germany travel around the different club ground.

The key point though is that countries which do use a national stadium, it’s nearly always located in the capital. The only counterexample I can find (apart from Hampden) is Malta who play in Ta’Qali rather than Valletta.

How many countries have a national stadium which isn’t in their largest city?

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I’m going to turn this on it’s head and say that the national stadium is nearly always located in the largest city.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Would have to disagree. Its not ideal for football but at least the pitch is lower and gradient steeper.

It's shite. I had a photo but must of lost it when changing phone at some point.

You genuinely have no idea what's happening at the other end of the pitch.

Having to leave the stadium if you want a pie, or pish, is woeful too. Queues massive when we had about 1000 in a stand and its just on wasteland.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's shite. I had a photo but must of lost it when changing phone at some point.

You genuinely have no idea what's happening at the other end of the pitch.

Having to leave the stadium if you want a pie, or pish, is woeful too. Queues massive when we had about 1000 in a stand and its just on wasteland.

The toilets are at the bottom of each sections stairs like 90% of stadiums? I also quite like that it's food trucks as it means way more choice than the generic standard football stand fayre. Can be shite if it's raining though. Its still no ideal for football but better than Hampden imo but I suppose the bar is pretty low there.

I wonder what other countries think of their national stadia. I know people mention Germany, Spain and Italy not having a national stadium, but I reckon it would be a political hot potato if Spain had a national stadium in one place, same with Germany. 

Anyway, the pitch is dreadful but I know little about the mechanics of growing grass. Would a hybrid pitch be much better?