Stadium and pitch investment

26 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Is there any 40,000+ stadium anywhere that isn't slow to get away from? 

The location of Hampden is absolutely fine. 

The 50,000 seater stadium in Austria was an absolute breeze to get home from.

Spoiler

Granted there was only about 5,000 folk there

4 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

It's a better stadium and has better transport links being a 20-minute walk from Haymarket. Not great transport links but better than Hampden.

Murrayfield is shite. Being better than Hampden (not for me) doesn't change that. 

If they redevelop it then it has to be built upwards compared to today and shifted south slightly. 

Some clever development around the ground could massively improve the area. 

They should ban non locals from driving near it 2 hours either side of games and devise park and ride shuttles like they did for the 2002 champs league final.

That's what they do in Germany.

If you go to Murrayfield, you just end up in a long queue at Haymarket with no other train station nearby. As someone pointed out, there are six stations within walking distance of Hampden. I always go to King's Park and I have never had to queue to get into the station and always get a seat on the train too. I've been doing that ever since the Iwelumo game in 2008.

6 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Clearly not what I said, though, is it. The fact it's less hassle getting from Northern France to Edinburgh than Edinburgh to Hampden should tell you something.  Or have I imagined everyone else complaining about the lack of infastructure?

You can leave Edinburgh Castle at 5:20pm on Tuesday and be at Hampden ages before kick-off. You might even manage if you leave at 5:50. The "hassle" involved in that consists of walking 10 minutes to Waverley, 10 minutes from Queen Street to Central, waiting in a queue and then walking 10 minutes from Mount Florida to Hampden.

Travelling from Northern France to Edinburgh involves travelling to an airport, going through security, waiting to get on the plane, going through passport control and then having to get from the airport into the city. I do not see how that can possibly be less hassle.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You can leave Edinburgh Castle at 5:20pm on Tuesday and be at Hampden ages before kick-off. You might even manage if you leave at 5:50. The "hassle" involved in that consists of walking 10 minutes to Waverley, 10 minutes from Queen Street to Central, waiting in a queue and then walking 10 minutes from Mount Florida to Central.

But you’d miss the game! 😂 

Are you a speed walker?

5 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

No thanks. 

I don't want Edinburgh being invaded by bigots for semis and finals on a regular basis. 

They can keep that shite in their own city. 

Typical Edinburgh type pretending Bigotry is just a WOS problem. It's thankfully on the way down but thankfully not down to blinkered pedestal types like yourself.

Edited by gannonball

40 minutes ago, microdave said:

If you go to Murrayfield, you just end up in a long queue at Haymarket with no other train station nearby. As someone pointed out, there are six stations within walking distance of Hampden. I always go to King's Park and I have never had to queue to get into the station and always get a seat on the train too. I've been doing that ever since the Iwelumo game in 2008.

Going the “long way” is absolutely the way to go.  Most people don’t do that and get stuck queuing for ages to get back at Mount Florida.   Shouldn’t have to be like that though.  

Hampden’s flaws are obvious.  It was developed in the cheap and has always felt cheap.  It needs serious investment in almost every aspect. 

23 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

If I lived in Edinburgh Castle, I wouldn't have to trouble myself by taking public transport with the commoners.😀  

I wasn't strictly talking about timing but also the risk of missing a connection and then ending up having to spend the night in Glasgow. From here, I've got a drive of just over an hour to the airport but I can leave my car in the (relatively cheap) car park. So, although the length of time might be longer (not 100% convinced it is) it's much more convenient and totally stress free. To be fair, that's why I said hassle and not 'time'.

It doesn't matter and I don't expect the world to adapt to me. It was just a general point that getting from Edinburgh (south-west Edinburgh in my case) to Hampden is a whole to-do.

Just to confirm, you are "not 100% convinced" that your trip from wherever you stay in France (including a drive to the airport lasting over an hour and a flight lasting over an hour, plus whatever amount of time you have to arrive before the flight, plus the border control at the airport, plus the tram/bus into Edinburgh) is longer than the time to get from somewhere in south-west Edinburgh to Hampden Park?

The last train from Glasgow to Edinburgh is at 11:45pm, I am struggling to consider any scenario where you are not going to make it there from Hampden in that time.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Haymarket does have the huge advantage of being able to take you directly to just about anywhere in Scotland. Hampden may have several train stations within walking distance but that’s clearly not as helpful if they can only take you around of the city you’re already in.

Fwiw, I think the transport aspect is exaggerated. As others have said, I’m not aware of many 50,000 capacity stadiums where it’s easy to get everyone in and out. 

7 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Before we try and rebuild the stadium, we could probably focus on why getting a pie is near impossible without missing the game at some point.

Pie drones! (Swiftly followed by brown sauce weilding drones)

Edited by Gordopolis

The usage of the Hampden pitch will probably be more than you would think if you add it all up.

5x Scotland men’s team

~3x Scotland women’s team

3x Scottish Cup

3x League Cup

3x Women’s Cup

~5x Youth/Amateur/Schools cup finals

~5x concerts every summer

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

The usage of the Hampden pitch will probably be more than you would think if you add it all up.

5x Scotland men’s team

~3x Scotland women’s team

3x Scottish Cup

3x League Cup

3x Women’s Cup

~5x Youth/Amateur/Schools cup finals

~5x concerts every summer

Was coming on to comment that concerts at Hampden are pish too.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Don't be a dick. You know fine well where the nearest main station is.

I was genuinely not being a dick. The easiest stations for Glasgow Airport is the airport bus to either Central/Queen St. the bus is frequent and takes about 20 mins (traffic dependant) and those are definitely the best train options. Where else would you go to?

That fucking country estate of space behind each goal is the worst part of it. What it needs is 2 high bank stands instead that are each about 6 foot from the grass. They could easily be attached to the main standto keep it enclosed. 

Is there any scope to dig down and put the pitch lower than it is now?  Which would also let you add seats to both stands along the sides of the pitch. 

How the f**k it maintains it uefa rating for european finals is beyond me the place is a fucking throw back.