Stadium and pitch investment

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Maybe St Mirren’s pitch has a better drainage system?

The SFA have much more money to solve the problem. And time. And opportunities with the commonwealth games.

Not to mention the number of staff and equipment.

We basically have one man and his apprentice! 

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

The SFA have much more money to solve the problem. And time. And opportunities with the commonwealth games.

Not to mention the number of staff and equipment.

We basically have one man and his apprentice! 

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

26 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It’s not just the stadium design though is it?

The infrastructure is crap.

If you compare it to many other national stadiums there are limited fast access rail/underground/road transport options never mind hotels or onsite stadium bar and restaurant facilities. 

I walk back into Glasgow after games at Hampden and arrive at Central while trains are still loading at Mt Florida.

All true.

Not that it's on the cards of course, but I'd be very sad to see Hampden close.  It has a huge part in world footballing history, and that shouldn't be thrown away.

it does need all manner of changes in and around it though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All true.

Not that it's on the cards of course, but I'd be very sad to see Hampden close.  It has a huge part in world footballing history, and that shouldn't be thrown away.

it does need all manner of changes in and around it though.

Yeah. I don’t disagree. Have loved going to Hampden all these years. History holds such an attachment. I still miss Love St. 😢 

I just can’t see how the can redevelop the infrastructure surrounding Hampden stadium. It’s too built up with poor road and rail. It would be a massive project that would be too expensive.

Years ago there was talk of building a national stadium on the old Linwood car plant which would have been easily accessible by rail, road and air. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11974345.linwood-seeks-place-in-soccer-folklore/

The plan was to build two stadiums. One national stadium and a smaller stadium for St Mirren. @Captain Sensible or @Arch Stanton may have the PDE published design plan.

Now we are stuck with an out of town retail park that believe it or not has issues with access in/out as the planners never considered the impact of traffic and growth of retail outlets.

I think that would have been the ideal solution for a new stadium. Paisley and Glasgow airport would definitely have had the air-rail link project funded. 

It is incredible that visitors arrive at Glasgow Airport and there is no linked rail network to the major destinations. 

Sorry went off at a tangent.

I know there were other relocation proposals elsewhere in the country but that would have been an ideal solution.

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Yeah. I don’t disagree. Have loved going to Hampden all these years. History holds such an attachment. I still miss Love St. 😢 

I just can’t see how the can redevelop the infrastructure surrounding Hampden stadium. It’s too built up with poor road and rail. It would be a massive project that would be too expensive.

Years ago there was talk of building a national stadium on the old Linwood car plant which would have been easily accessible by rail, road and air. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11974345.linwood-seeks-place-in-soccer-folklore/

The plan was to build two stadiums. One national stadium and a smaller stadium for St Mirren. @Captain Sensible or @Arch Stanton may have the PDE published design plan.

Now we are stuck with an out of town retail park that believe it or not has issues with access in/out as the planners never considered the impact of traffic and growth of retail outlets.

I think that would have been the ideal solution for a new stadium. Paisley and Glasgow airport would definitely have had the air-rail link project funded. 

It is incredible that visitors arrive at Glasgow Airport and there is no linked rail network to the major destinations. 

I know there were other relocation proposals elsewhere in the country but that would have been an ideal solution.

The "idea solution" would have been quite near your house then?

42 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

I had my ticket for the Ukraine play-off but I had to give it to a mate when they changed the date.  I live in Northern France and it's less hassle to get to Edinburgh than it would be to get to Hampden from Edinburgh and back which is what puts me off coming home for more games.

I wouldn't be too sad to see Hampden knocked down and I'd replace it with an out-of-town stadium with easy access by road and rail. I don't see any great need for the national stadium to be in the city. If it is in the city, it needs to be more accessible with a for-purpose car park. I live quite near the Lille stadium and that is right next to the motorway (thought still in the city) with a massive car park

Yes, we should definitely shape such decisions around the needs of the handful of Scotland fans who live overseas and might attend the occasional big game if it's convenient.

I love Hampden to be honest, over various matches I’ve been in all of the stands and whilst the view on the East and West stands isn’t as good as it might be, I have definitely been in stadiums where the view was much worse, even though they are considered great modern stadiums, like the Emirates in London, where you feel miles away from the pitch.

I agree the transport around the stadium might be a bit better though again, no stadium is really all that quick to get away from.
Usually I walk back from Hampden and it takes a good 50mins - a hour. Yesterday we waited in a gigantic train queue (which I will say was very well managed by the Police) and still got back to Central within the hour. I am not sure there are many grounds tbh where you are a lot quicker getting back again.

I honestly think a lot of folk just like to moan about it tbh. 

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I'm at the airport just now. 1 bus per hour to/from the nearest major train station is pathetic.

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'm at the airport just now. 1 bus per hour to/from the nearest major train station is pathetic.

Glasgow airport? The 500 shuttle runs every 15 mins and stops near Central and Queen St.

Is there another European country which has a permanent national stadium that’s not in the capital?

The likes of Spain, Germany and Italy take games around the country whilst England, France, Wales and many others have a permanent stadium, but always in the capital.

Flatten it and play the games at Murrayfield. 

26 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Is there another European country which has a permanent national stadium that’s not in the capital?

The likes of Spain, Germany and Italy take games around the country whilst England, France, Wales and many others have a permanent stadium, but always in the capital.

Flatten it and play the games at Murrayfield. 

Why should the minority sport of rugby union benefit from the popularity of association football? 

Also, Murrayfield is every bit as bad as Hampden. 

Just now, Crawford Bridge said:

Why should the minority sport of rugby union benefit from the popularity of association football? 

Also, Murrayfield is every bit as bad as Hampden. 

In which case, build a new stadium in Edinburgh or halfway between the two main cities.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

In which case, build a new stadium in Edinburgh or halfway between the two main cities.

No thanks. 

I don't want Edinburgh being invaded by bigots for semis and finals on a regular basis. 

They can keep that shite in their own city. 

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

I just can’t see how the can redevelop the infrastructure surrounding Hampden stadium. It’s too built up with poor road and rail. 

It's literally a mile from the national motorway network and there's half a dozen train stations within a 20 minute walk.

3 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

No thanks. 

I don't want Edinburgh being invaded by bigots for semis and finals on a regular basis. 

They can keep that shite in their own city. 

Which is maybe why there's a running track around the ground, puts off folk trying to invade the pitch.

(although the Hibernian Hurdles and Sprint Champions managed it in 2016 and the bloke with four arms just flew over)