Cove vs thistle

We've been horrific since the turn of the year and going by that form have rightly have entered the bottom two for the first time since mid-September. 1 win in 13 games in all competitions, confidence is on the floor. Defence made of glass doesn't help.

We badly need 3 points as do Thistle if they want to put pressure on the teams directly above and obviously in order to secure a playoff spot. Latter is a minimum requirement with the budget offered at the start of the year to McCall. Still think a fully firing Thistle could get far in the playoffs. The narrow defeat at Caley last week ended Doolan's unbeaten run of 6 prior.  Although Cove's record against Thistle in the league of late hasn't yielded any losses, this is surely their best chance to break that run.

Realistically we need at least 9 points in the last 6 games to have a chance for 8th. Ideally we'd get two of those wins against Hamilton and Arbroath and try to get points in our three remaining home games (Thistle, Caley and Morton). Tough ask as we are performing and looking like a L1 side but a slim possibility remains.

Blair Yule is in contention to return to the squad after months out. A half fit Blair trounces the likes of Vigurs and Virtanen.

Had a good hour chat with Harry Milne about a month back, the weekend before you thumped Dundee at Dens and Harry scored actually. Chatting about Cove, Thistle, the Championship and Scottish Football in general. He's loving his time at Thistle, being full time and being down in Glasgow area. What a player.

Never once said we for Cove. Clearly converted although still has many friends on and off the park at Cove and keeps a look out for our scores.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Might head to this one as a “neutral” although I’ll be hoping Thistle win comfortably - sorry Cove Rangers1922. In an ideal world, I would have liked Cove to stay up along with us but self-preservation wins and I just can’t see you finishing above Accies. Hopefully, once Arbroath are safe, you find some form and win the playoff.

My son also plays for Cove Youth and he gets free entry anyway so another reason to head along.

Edited by Tattie36

23 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Might head to this one as a “neutral” although I’ll be hoping Thistle win comfortably - sorry Cove Rangers1922. In an ideal world, I would have liked Cove to stay up along with us but self-preservation wins and I just can’t see you finishing above Accies. Hopefully, once Arbroath are safe, you find some form and win the playoff.

My son also plays for Cove Youth so he gets free entry anyway so another reason to head along.

Our saving grace is we probably can't play any worse than what we have at times in the last 10 or so games. That alone isn't worth much. Whether we can elevate our performances to get points remains to be seen. Need a run of points quick. We've had spells of looking like a team in some games and against Queen's Park we were very competitive and looked worthy of being here. It's a big ask and if we don't get a win soon it will be over before long.

I remember watching Accies against Arbroath a few Friday nights back and taking nothing away from the Litchies who looked the far better side, Accies weren't at their best and my thoughts they were about the same level us but a cup win might breed the confidence they need. They have a couple of tough games away to Dundee and Rovers before playing us. 

Should be an interesting conclusion to the season given we've essentially be written off.

* Last few home games all tickets are at a reduced price. Think it's circa £14 rather than £18 or something close to that.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Our saving grace is we probably can't play any worse than what we have at times in the last 10 or so games. That alone isn't worth much. Whether we can elevate our performances to get points remains to be seen. Need a run of points quick. We've had spells of looking like a team in some games and against Queen's Park we were very competitive and looked worthy of being here. It's a big ask and if we don't get a win soon it will be over before long.

I remember watching Accies against Arbroath a few Friday nights back and taking nothing away from the Litchies who looked the far better side, Accies weren't at their best and my thoughts they were about the same level us but a cup win might breed the confidence they need. They have a couple of tough games away to Dundee and Rovers before playing us. 

Should be an interesting conclusion to the season given we've essentially be written off.

* Last few home games all tickets are at a reduced price. Think it's circa £14 rather than £18 or something close to that.

Don’t think there’s much in the 3 teams at all. Cove had their purple patch earlier in the season, Accies had there’s around the turn of the year and we might be hitting ours now. Pretty sure it’ll go to the wire.

Having said that, if we can win v Ayr on Friday then it puts us firmly in the driving seat and possibly only needing another 6-8 points from 6 games.

Arbroath v Cove in a few weeks is likely to be a massive game as nothing will likely be decided by then. Interestingly, I don’t think Arbroath have ever beaten Cove.

Edited by Tattie36

28 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Don’t think there’s much in the 3 teams at all. Cove had their purple patch earlier in the season, Accies had there’s around the turn of the year and we might be hitting ours now. Pretty sure it’ll go to the wire.

Having said that, if we can win v Ayr on Friday then it puts us firmly in the driving seat and possibly only needing another 6-8 points from 6 games.

Arbroath v Cove in a few weeks is likely to be a massive game as nothing will likely be decided by then. Interestingly, I don’t think Arbroath have ever beaten Cove.

I struggle to remember our purple patch, maybe because it was so long ago and/or maybe because it was gradual collection of points rather than a streak. Accies definitely had a stellar 6 games around New Year. If their cup win propels them back to that form Cove are completely screwed. I struggle to see that happen and fair play if they pick up any points against Dundee and Rovers away before we play them on 8th April.

If you lads turn over Ayr on Friday night that will be the nail in the coffin for 8th for us I feel. 5 points and a superior goal difference will be hard to overturn. That would be 4 draws and 2 wins in the last 6 which would be a nice run and at the right time.

Litchies have a tough run of their own until we come to Gayfield, Ayr (H), Dundee (H), Caley (A), Rovers (A). For our sake I hope we are still in running come our short journey down to play you.

35 points is all I think it will take to secure 8th. I'd be quite shocked if it's anymore than that.

I’ve an awful feeling about this, feels like just about every team in the league has given Cove a battering at some point during the season and we’ve still yet to beat them. A comfortable afternoon with a few goals would be nice but I’ll take any kind of win. 

Mitchell 

McMillan 

Holt 

Muirhead 

Milne 

Docherty 

Bannigan 

Turner

Lawless 

Tiffoney 

Sneddon 

Might be the only way we can beat Cove, even when we play well against them we chuck away leads. Their only win under Hartley coming against us is pretty standard. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Milne out for the rest of the season with a hamstring tear, likely to be around 4 months in total. Can probably place the rest of the season directly in the bin as Hodson is such a downgrade. 

Muirhead is at least back which gives us one piece of defensive cover. 

8 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Milne out for the rest of the season with a hamstring tear, likely to be around 4 months in total. Can probably place the rest of the season directly in the bin as Hodson is such a downgrade. 

Aw f**k off

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Briefly thought McMillan could go to lb and McAvoy might work as a right back, remembered McAvoy had to go back to Fulham and then shuddered imagining Lawless at LB.

Seasons fucked anyway tbh.

A very small benefit I can see to Milne being out for 4 months is that we might just be able to hang onto him for another year… maybe.

This season is absolutely in the bin now, though. McMillan, Muirhead, Holt, Hodson with Brownlie as the only bench cover really isn’t a great situation. It wouldn’t be a massive shock if we finished in the top 4, but no chance this team is going up.

8 hours ago, Nightmare said:

A very small benefit I can see to Milne being out for 4 months is that we might just be able to hang onto him for another year… maybe.

This season is absolutely in the bin now, though. McMillan, Muirhead, Holt, Hodson with Brownlie as the only bench cover really isn’t a great situation. It wouldn’t be a massive shock if we finished in the top 4, but no chance this team is going up.

The reverse of that is that we almost certainly won't get any money for him in the summer and will lose him for nothing next year. Though his age would probably limit the size of transfer fee anyway 

Blair Yule back after a few months out. Huge player for us and pushes the utter dross that Miko Virtanen or Iain Vigurs back to the bench.

Naismith at CB is some laugh but it's a toss up between him and Reynolds, equally as shite as each other.

Need to be switched on from the start. Desperately need a win to take some momentum down to Hamilton next week.

Screenshot_2023-04-01-14-23-02-34_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg