Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

England deserved to win. I also think England provided a ton of entertainment - Maguire going down and staying down like he’d been shot - after suffering a friendly fire kick on his hand. Kane going down like he’d suffered a serious concussion, realising he was off the pitch, and crawling on hands and knees back onto the field to ensure the game would stop. Turned out he wasn’t seriously concussed - the ball hit him in the chest. Kyle Walker, strolling past the ball sitting right where the throw in he was going to take would be taken from, to try and use another ball a few feet away to waste seconds of time, and acting puzzled as to why a yellow card was brandished. Jack Grealish. I mean, come on. He’s got falling over and ‘anticipating the contact’ down to a fine art. Luke Shaw. What a boi. Quickfire double yellow, comes over all ‘Kyle Walker’ in the puzzlement stakes as a red is brandished, and clearly distraught by it all, acts like he’s just suffered a stroke and collapses to the turf. Another few seconds wasted in beautiful fashion, with style. Bravo Sir, bravo. Connor Gallagher - on as a sub for ten seconds, ‘anticipates some contact’, and in an oscar nominated performance, feigns cramp - after ten seconds. Again, bravo Sir, bravo indeed. Finally. Phil Foden. On for thirty seconds, hooked because of Luke Shaw. Never burst into tears or threw a hissy. What a boi.

Some team. Some bois. Eng-er-land, it’s coming home… etc. 

In theory, Luxembourg should be considerably better than some countries such as Iceland or Latvia that have qualified for major tournaments. Given that they have a decent population 650k - more than double Iceland - and unlike Iceland or Latvia football is a sport that can be played all year round AND is the main sport.

They also have the added bonus of being the world's richest country, and surrounded by four of the best footballing cultures and leagues with France, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium on their doorstep. They've also just opened a brand new national stadium, which is like a cross between New Douglas Park and St Mirren Park and holds about 8,000.

I think it's more a mystery that they've been the whipping boys for so long than anything else. Their natural level should be akin to Northern Ireland, not Liechtenstein and Andorra.

Enjoying a breakfast pot of strong Italian coffee, and my mind wandered to the Ibiza club version of their anthem. My top anthem in the world, with Wales at No2 and the magnificent Russian national anthem at No3… in my chart rundown opinion etc. Anyway, had a look online about the Italian anthem, and it’s a very interesting story about how it came about, was dropped, was re-introduced, and actually only officially became their anthem in 2017… 150 years after being written. The lyrics are magnificent too. No wonder it pumps them up. English translation is, and I paraphrase ever so slightly… pretty much along the lines of…

Brothers of Italy, we’ve been stamped on and laughed at for centuries. ‘Cause we cannae’ unite on our divided land. Let’s get it fcuking sorted under one flag and show these kunts what we’re all about. As one, we die for Italy. Get it fcuking up ye’s… Intae’ these kunts.

Truly magnificent stuff. And back to breakfast..

Edited by pozbaird

14 hours ago, DrewDon said:

This England team being "likeable" is the biggest lie since WMD. 

Indeed.  They have precisely one likeable player, and a likeable coach.  And by likeable, I really mean non-Tory, but they do seem like good people.  

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Indeed.  They have precisely one likeable player, and a likeable coach.  And by likeable, I really mean non-Tory, but they do seem like good people.  

This coach? Euro 2020: Gareth Southgate evokes wartime spirit ahead of final urging England fans to be proud of 'an island our size' | UK News | Sky News

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Who'd you have in mind? I'm guessing Saka.

Marcus Rashford.  He seems to be a decent chap - free school meals, reading stories on Jackanory, etc.  Some of his team mates probably can’t even read, let alone on kids’ TV.

53 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Would be cool as f**k if San Marino would actually win a match.

They bust my goals coupon. f**k them, backwater minnows, should stick to Formula 1. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Marcus Rashford.  He seems to be a decent chap - free school meals, reading stories on Jackanory, etc.  Some of his team mates probably can’t even read, let alone on kids’ TV.

Jack Grealish IMO.

It's weird that Grealish has done plenty of good and plenty of bad off the pitch for people to judge him, yet the Pie and Bovril das have collectively decided to despise him because he dives and has funky hair. 

5 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Would be cool as f**k if San Marino would actually win a match.

Inability to score hamstrings them: e.g. v fellow weak sides in Nations League most of their defeats have been narrow... 1-0 or 2-0: even a couple of draws... but they haven't scored a single goal in 14 ties.