Sensory rooms in Scottish stadiums

Good luck - signed. I'm on the spectrum but pretty high-functioning so even from a young age I was fine being taken to games. I know not everyone on the spectrum is like me and I'd like to see more rooms like this so as young fans can enjoy games in a safe and calm environment. 

Best of luck with this mate.

Fwiw; I know the SPFL trust have a full, I can't think of a better word for it, but sensory kit, if that makes sense?

It allows a regular hospitality box to be turned into a sensory room, is my understanding.

Might be worth reaching out to them around it; https://spfltrust.org.uk/contact-us/

Signed in any case, but wondered if that might be of use.

Signed. Also I think this is such a good thing and allows more and more people to be, to feel, included in this wonderful game, particularly minority groups who by definition are excluded from so much already. 212 have now signed. Perhaps some of us on here have connections to other forums and could add the link there? 

I remembered seeing a tweet from Alan Burrows which I found with a bit of googling (I’m not smart enough to embed the link), but I don’t know what ever came of this. The first reply to Flow’s tweet is the Shippey Campaign you mentioned. I know there was a game last year where you could get a ‘sensory bag’ for kids at Firpark, but again I don’t know much about it or whether it was in part an outcome of any steering group.  

https://twitter.com/Alan_Burrows/status/1367786402944024577?s=20

Will sign now, an excellent initiative and I hope Lewis can get along to games soon.

It’s a disgrace that only four clubs have sensory rooms and - with no offence meant to Cappielow or Morton - it’s hardly a stadium that brings “first class facilities” to your mind. If they can do it, clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have absolutely no excuse.

I know, for example, that Hibs converted the old corporate boxes in the Famous Five into a community space a few seasons back. I can’t see any reason why one could not have been made into a sensory room.

The Hibs fan rep, Kieran Power, is usually quite on the ball with investigating things like this, so I’m going to write to him and ask what Hibs have been doing and if/when sensory rooms will be getting introduced at Easter Road.

Personally think it should be a mandatory requirement for all stadiums though, to be honest.

Edited by HibsFan

Definitely a good idea but there are barriers in terms of space with some stadiums, especially if such a room would be required to have sight of the pitch, not to mention financial barriers. Clubs are run as businesses and the cost of doing this, especially if it is at the expense of space that is designed to make money, could be prohibitive.

I think this is more of the type of thing that clubs should be investing in but there's an unfortunate reality here that probably means it will never be mandated but rather advisory. 

Signed. As someone who's also Autistic it would be great to see a sensory room in every ground, I wouldn't need to use but it would be a huge help and comfort to many other Autistic football fans around the country.

Signed, hopefully this comes off, I'd imagine cost might be an issue for some clubs but surely SFA or SPFL could help, it would be a better investment than VAR.

My son is also autistic but fortunately sensory issues aren't so much of an issue for him so he goes to all the games, can imagine for those with sensory issues football stadiums on match day can be a scary place. Hope this comes off and you're able to get your son to games.

I'm the Disability Access Officer at Motherwell and this is something I'll be pushing for at our next meeting with the club.

As someone above mentioned it is being able to access a suitable space with a view of the pitch and having available staff to be on hand in case of any emergencies.

At the same time I would say that every Premier League ground should ideally have  raised platform areas for wheelchair users. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to ask police, stewards and photographers to move.

20 minutes ago, santheman said:

As someone above mentioned it is being able to access a suitable space with a view of the pitch

That's going to be the difficult bit unfortunately.

Many stadiums don't have this other than corporate boxes, and if said boxes are used regularly I can't see many clubs willing to convert them and lose out on the revenue.