Soccer AM cancelled

34 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Relevant:

Danny Dyer's "feud" with Kermode was fucking hilarious. Hopefully it gets revisited if he's ever allowed to have a screen role again.

It's hard to imagine William Friedkin's biggest fan ever being involved in a scuffle, yet there's no way that he'd come off worst in that slapfight!

29 minutes ago, throbber said:

I remember watching that film and Gillian Anderson sodomises a guy with a machine gun. 

If you liked that, you'd love the remake of I Spit on your Grave.

The IMDb probably has a tag for "firearm sodomy" or similar. Perhaps this is a genre.

16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Never had Sky so I'm only vaguely aware of it. 

Same I didn't have Sky and felt quite out of the loop at school when you heard your pals making jokes about Soccer AM. I didn't really get so many folk fancying Helen back in the day either. Some of the breakthrough indie bands they had on the goals reels were good though and my pals band managed to get on it one week thinking that would be their breakthrough but alas no.

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Same I didn't have Sky and felt quite out of the loop at school when you heard your pals making jokes about Soccer AM. I didn't really get so many folk fancying Helen back in the day either. Some of the breakthrough indie bands they had on the goals reels were good though and my pals band managed to get on it one week thinking that would be their breakthrough but alas no.

I vaguely remember a(n extremely unladdish) mate of mine going on about Lee Trundle because he was a recurring joke on the programme. Not for me.

24 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I vaguely remember a(n extremely unladdish) mate of mine going on about Lee Trundle because he was a recurring joke on the programme. Not for me.

Lee Trundle was one of those cult hero type players, although he did have a great record at Swansea when they were in the lower leagues.  He's also a player I've always thought should've signed for a Scottish team at some point, could definitely see him turning out for Hamilton or someone like that.

His Wiki record page is elite

image.png.9e475794f686fd21f233eb79c43406f9.png

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

In retrospect, Max Rushden's presence really elevates the comedic value of the Soccerette feature. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/23/soccer-am-was-not-just-laddish-banter-it-changed-my-life-and-gave-soul-to-saturdays

"There was no props department – just the youngest assistant producer with the help of someone on work experience. Helen and I had enormous Mr Tickle-like arms made out of papier-mache and chicken wire that cut your hands as you waved them about pretending part three was in all-new 3D TV.

There were jokes that didn’t make it. The week that Richard Keys and Andy Gray went we were expressly told not to mention it. I suggested a lifesize stuffed elephant in the studio that we didn’t mention for the whole show. It didn’t get through."

59 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Lee Trundle is now on the Fantasy Football reboot on Sky. He has the Jeff Astle role when he comes on and sings at the end. It’s as bad as it sounds.

6 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

Lee Trundle is now on the Fantasy Football reboot on Sky. He has the Jeff Astle role when he comes on and sings at the end. It’s as bad as it sounds.

It's good to hear that Sky are still persevering with another outdated football show that should have been left in the nineties.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

It was because of watching Soccer AM that I discovered the magnificent Wolf Alice when they were unknowns and had just released their debut single. Soccer AM played it as the music over a lower league goals highlight reel, and my ears instantly p***ked up. Thought ‘who on earth are that band, they sound great’… Saw them first at King Tuts in front of a hundred folk. I genuinely had a feeling they were going to be big. Fantastic band…

So for that alone, thank you Soccer AM.

Edit to add… cannae’ say your ears p***ked up on hearing something. Oh well. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I think @throbberis getting confused with when Yorkie sponsored Soccer AM and that was their tagline 

image.jpeg.766e40a295688f0d7ae81eb0fadef8ad.jpeg

I’m not getting confused by anything, having it as a sponsor of the show clearly gave off chauvinistic messages. It’s hardly a snowflake stance to have either it couldn’t be anymore blatant.

They shouldn’t cancelled it 10 years ago. It was a long slow painful death but was never the same after Lovejoy left. Very much a product of its time tying in well with the Brit-pop and Lad-culture eras from the mid 90s to early ‘00s.

56 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’m not getting confused by anything, having it as a sponsor of the show clearly gave off chauvinistic messages. It’s hardly a snowflake stance to have either it couldn’t be anymore blatant.

OK grumpy chops, why not have a Snickers?

image.thumb.jpeg.a98d246a57cf3862ee30aa38587693cd.jpeg