Binos -vs- Sons - Episode 7

From a mostly neutral perspective, I felt that Stirling were better going forward, but absolutely shocking at the back.  Every time Dumbarton attacked, that Stirling defence just collapsed.  But on the other hand, I felt like Dumbarton had absolutely no interest in winning that game.  They seemed to be playing for a draw right from kick off, and it felt like they rarely put Stirling under pressure.  Personally, I thought Stirling looked the better team, and they'll feel like it was two points dropped. 

Referee was absolutely mental, handing out cards left right and centre for absolutely nothing, while ignoring actual fouls, but the keeper booking for timewasting was spot on.  Who starts timewasting from the 5th minute?  

We've been stodgy for weeks and are hardly a Pep Guardiola team ourselves, but jeezo... Dumbarton are a tough watch! Time wasting from minute 1, players diving around, feigning injury and then playing for territory with long balls into the corners. Disappointed to concede twice because didn't think Dumbarton offered much at all. Having said all that - a bit of needle makes the title race more interesting. I love it really.

Absorbing game that showcased everything that's great about the lower leagues. Thud and blunder, 100% effort, terrible referee, timewasting, diving, pantomime villains.  Made all the better by a great turnout of 1441.  

From a Stirling perspective really disappointed to drop 2 points. We played well up to a point but too often the final ball was poor. Apart from the goals from corners we rarely managed to beat the first man with our crosses. And we seemed to revert to the old days where we failed to pick up runners in midfield and subsequently looked shaky at the back losing one poor and one terrible goal. 

But credit to Dumbarton. They stuck to their plan and while it wasnt great to watch it was effective. I can see why sons fans complain about the standard of football. 

A point a piece keeps things bubbling away nicely though and I suspect this will go right to the wire.

Dumbarton's number 5 and number 7 both stood out to me and the 18 (Findlay gray?) looks a good prospect although he should remove the diving from his game. He's good enough and doesn't need to do that.

Good crowd through too.

7 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Time wasting from minute 1, players diving around, feigning injury and then playing for territory with long balls into the corners.

Lol that’s an absolute load of bollocks. Stirling a bunch of thugs. Ref let you away with absolute murder.

Edited by FifeSons

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Lol that’s an absolute load of bollocks. Stirling a bunch of thugs. Not surprised you get so many reds. The ref let you away with absolute murder.

I have to say, Stirling were a lot more physical than I was expecting. Gray was booted from pillar to post all game, and Dunsmore was exceptionally lucky not to see red after escaping a booking for the head high tackle in the first-half, only to be booked in the second.

Not that we were an awful lot different to be fair. But I wouldn't have said there was much in it physicality wise. It was too pretty robust sides and fair play to the players, barely anyone shirked a tackle.

9 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Lol that’s an absolute load of bollocks. Stirling a bunch of thugs. Ref let you away with absolute murder.

Rubbish. Haven't seen such a physical team at Forthbank all season. And then when Albion gave some back Dumbarton had Love and MacLean (?) throwing themselves around at every opportunity. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

Edited by unitedbino

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I have to say, Stirling were a lot more physical than I was expecting. Gray was booted from pillar to post all game, and Dunsmore was exceptionally lucky not to see red after escaping a booking for the head high tackle in the first-half, only to be booked in the second.

Not that we were an awful lot different to be fair. But I wouldn't have said there was much in it physicality wise. It was too pretty robust sides and fair play to the players, barely anyone shirked a tackle.

They were guilty of several cynical fouls as we broke through on goal. Gray’s pace was causing them problems. He was kicked about all game.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Dunsmore was exceptionally lucky not to see red after escaping a booking for the head high tackle in the first-half, only to be booked in the second.

That’s not how it works. If he had been booked for the high foot in the first half, which he should’ve been, it’s unlikely he would have made the deliberate foul that he knew was going to lead to a booking.

Gray goes down very easily and was rightly booked for diving. 

18 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

We've been stodgy for weeks and are hardly a Pep Guardiola team ourselves, but jeezo... Dumbarton are a tough watch! Time wasting from minute 1, players diving around, feigning injury and then playing for territory with long balls into the corners. Disappointed to concede twice because didn't think Dumbarton offered much at all. Having said all that - a bit of needle makes the title race more interesting. I love it really.

And when you woke up from dreaming about the game, you're sheets were sticky?

If the high boot happened in a Premier League match, it would have been the easiest red card decision you’ll see.

A bike like the one that Livi nutter did on one of our players a few years ago.

Edited by FifeSons

9 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Rubbish. Haven't seen such a physical team at Forthbank all season. And then when Albion gave some back Dumbarton had Love and MacLean (?) throwing themselves around at every opportunity. Pretty embarrassing stuff.

And yet you lot conceded more fouls and had more players booked. Funny game, eh?

I'll give you Ross MacLean. You won't find a Sons fan who disagrees on that front. He led the line well today mind you, he'd be my pick to play there over Rusty every day of the week at the moment.

Gray was rightly booked for diving in the first half imho.

Apart from that I don’t remember a single dive by any other Dumbarton players all game. Referee missed over a dozen fouls on sons players throughout the game for shoves and elbows.

Plenty of bookings for nothing fouls and missed blatant bookings for both teams. How Blair didn’t get booked for clipping the attacker on the break is astounding and almost as astounding as the lack of booking for the high foot to the head from Stirling.

Seriously mind boggling referee performance.

We need to stop conceding Corners from Stirling. I swear they scored about 4 in the 6-0 game in October. 

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

If the high boot happened in a Premier League match, it would have been the easiest red you’ll see.

A bike like the one that Livi nutter did on one of our players a few years ago.

Genuinely wondering what match you were watching. Dumbarton were trying to get a man sent off from early doors. Thankfully ref didn't fall for it. Took us a while to get up for the fight. We should have expected Dumbarton would have had a rocket after the Rovers game. Had a lull at the start of the second half too. Frustrating.

Thought we maybe edged it, especially with our dominance in the 2nd quarter, but it wasn't enough to win and the draw was a fair reflection.  We were shaky at the back at times, and Dumbarton did themselves no favours by sitting back after the goals.  If they'd kept pressing they might have put it to bed, but instead they decided to time waste from almost the start of the game.

The referee was ok, but certainly strict.  The booking for the dive is something you rarely see, but absolutely the correct decision.

Reasonable crowd, but I was expecting a bit more to be honest.  Poor turnout from Dumbarton, there can only have been 250-300, for a top of the table clash, near the end of the season, with a short travel time.  Those that did travel made some noise, so fair play to them.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game, 2 sides going at it hammer & tongs, blood & snotters etc.

Considering we had players missing the team put in a great shift, Ross McLean up front worked his baws off, Gray too.

Hope Kalvin Orsi is ok, he looked to be in a bit of pain going off.

Excellent crowd too

Talk of our demise has been greatly exaggerated, by some of our own minter fans it has to be said.

Can we play away from home every week please.

2 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Genuinely wondering what match you were watching. Dumbarton were trying to get a man sent off from early doors. Thankfully ref didn't fall for it. Took us a while to get up for the fight. We should have expected Dumbarton would have had a rocket after the Rovers game. Had a lull at the start of the second half too. Frustrating.

Haha! “Ref didn’t fall for it”. It was one of the worst refereeing performances in a long time. 

Just now, Gnash said:

Thought we maybe edged it, especially with our dominance in the 2nd quarter, but it wasn't enough to win and the draw was a fair reflection.  We were shaky at the back at times, and Dumbarton did themselves no favours by sitting back after the goals.  If they'd kept pressing they might have put it to bed, but instead they decided to time waste from almost the start of the game.

The referee was ok, but certainly strict.  The booking for the dive is something you rarely see, but absolutely the correct decision.

Reasonable crowd, but I was expecting a bit more to be honest.  Poor turnout from Dumbarton, there can only have been 250-300, for a top of the table clash, near the end of the season, with a short travel time.  Those that did travel made some noise, so fair play to them.

Aye, Dumbarton fans made a good din. Contributed to the spectacle. Don't think either team likes the other much. A lot of verbals throughout.