Binos -vs- Sons - Episode 7

2 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Congratulations. You have won the Faz that's the spirit, fan award.  You win this week's special prize. A no expenses paid personal invite to..... the next meet the manager day.

I know it means a lot to Faz.

2 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Yet when DY makes changes to protect the back four and see out a lead in a game you don't like it.

That's not what I said and fine you know it.  You can protect the back 4 and still attack. The defence looks less shaky when Banner is in there protecting them. It also gives the forward players a platform to build on.  But you're never going to agree with anything I say anyway so the discussion is futile. 

5 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

That's a pretty fair summary of the game.

The shaky defence isn't a new thing for us. That's been a common thing especially recently. We are attempting to play it around at the back and Cummins in particular I think struggles with that at times. His first touch gives me the fear.

I can only see it being a close run thing. We are so clearly the best 2 teams in the league.

I’d say Cummins is playing well since he came back in, if anything the shaky one is Pabs just now, last few games he’s made a few errors and been easily caught for pace with attackers. Playing  constantly every week is tiring those legs I think. Doesn’t look like McGregor’s getting a shot again, both centre half’s played the second half on Tuesday on a yellow and he didn’t even look like he’d take one off to keep them for yesterday. 

4 hours ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

I get more concerned by the midfield leaving the back 4 unprotected. We look a lot better with Banner in there but that would mean leaving out leitch (daft because he's in good form - yesterday's howler notwithstanding) or Davidson (clearly a DY favourite so unlikely to be dropped regardless of how poorly he plays).

Davidson is - or was - clearly a good player and reads the game really well but his passing lets him down too often for my liking. Not sure if he's trying too hard. Having said that I thought he did pretty well yesterday so maybe DYs faith in him will be rewarded in the last 8 games if he keeps improving 

I agree, Kyle makes a big difference when he plays, as you say he let’s the others get forward, leitch on the other hand runs about like a headless chicken, he was ok ish at the weekend, had a decent game Tuesday, but the two games before that all he did was chase shadows , yes he scored in both games but that was it. You’re right about Davidson too, he was playing well for a bit but he’s not been as good recently, passing definitely is poor, but DY won’t drop him. 

3 minutes ago, #GSC said:

I agree, Kyle makes a big difference when he plays, as you say he let’s the others get forward, leitch on the other hand runs about like a headless chicken, he was ok ish at the weekend, had a decent game Tuesday, but the two games before that all he did was chase shadows , yes he scored in both games but that was it. You’re right about Davidson too, he was playing well for a bit but he’s not been as good recently, passing definitely is poor, but DY won’t drop him. 

Davidson is frustrating because you kind of know he's a good player.  IIRC he was a favourite at east fife and then missed a long period through injury before we signed him.  So maybe if he stays fit and gets a good preseason in him he'll be a standout for us in league 1 next year. 

21 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

We were having a conversation on the return trip about parallels with our 08/09 title win

There aren't any  parallels. In 2008-9 we were never top until about three games to go. We were playing catch-up. This season was my first in over 50 years of watching Sons we've been top of the table for so many weeks. I'd wager it won't happen again in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, TheVoiceofReason said:

That's not what I said and fine you know it.  You can protect the back 4 and still attack. The defence looks less shaky when Banner is in there protecting them. It also gives the forward players a platform to build on.  But you're never going to agree with anything I say anyway so the discussion is futile. 

When he makes those changes and pulls a striker off, Jack pushes up further when Banner comes on.  You can protect the back four and still attack that is correct and that is what happens. When that happens you call it shutting up shop, so I do know what you said fine well.  It's hard to agree on a self contradiction. So on that one point I did not and a hissy fit is not a considered response.

I'd probably agree that Jack is trying to do too much a lot of the time. One minute he's trying to take the ball off the centre halves and the next he's running beyond the strikers. The miskick that led to the second goal looked like a tired attempt.

Then you have the flip side wifh the two great corners.

Balance in the midfield definitely can be an issue.

We left huge holes at times on Saturday

1 hour ago, rockson said:

There aren't any  parallels. In 2008-9 we were never top until about three games to go. We were playing catch-up. This season was my first in over 50 years of watching Sons we've been top of the table for so many weeks. I'd wager it won't happen again in my lifetime.

There aren't any parallels; except that Dumbarton are in the 4th tier and in contention for the league title as the season nears it's end. No sir, no parallels at all.