Binos -vs- Sons - Episode 7

3 minutes ago, super-son said:

How Blair didn’t get booked for clipping the attacker on the break is astounding

He did book him, just not straight after the foul. It looked like he let Stirling take the free kick short and then blew the whistle to stop play to book him. Must’ve been at least 30 seconds between the foul and the booking.

1 minute ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

He did book him, just not straight after the foul. It looked like he let Stirling take the free kick short and then blew the whistle to stop play to book him. Must’ve been at least 30 seconds between the foul and the booking.

He definitely never booked him. I just checked various match reports to be doubly sure.

I'll take a point. I felt we passed the ball around well enough but didn't create many clear cut chances. Coming from behind twice shows brilliant team spirit. We made more mistakes today than the last 5 games combined. I was surprised when Young took off Duffy and Cooper. Felt like they both played really well.

Dumbarton are an ok outfit who could well end up champions and if they do, they fully deserve it. However, the time wasting by their goalkeeper at 0-0 was pathetic. It seemed like they came to play for a point when that started. What was completely bizarre was Dumbarton having a corner kick in stoppage time at the end of the game. It seemed like nobody wanted to take it and they were happy with their point. 

20 minutes ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

That’s not how it works. If he had been booked for the high foot in the first half, which he should’ve been, it’s unlikely he would have made the deliberate foul that he knew was going to lead to a booking.

Gray goes down very easily and was rightly booked for diving. 

Aye but if he hadn’t made that deliberate foul Findlay Gray would have continued his run and scored

Just now, super-son said:

He definitely never booked him. I just checked various match reports to be doubly sure.

He definitely stopped the free kick to book someone in the box. I assumed it was the player that had committed the foul as nothing seemed to have happened in the box and the player accepted it.

1 minute ago, Nowhereman said:

Aye but if he hadn’t made that deliberate foul Findlay Gray would have continued his run and scored

If findlay gray is the wee ginger

He should already have been sent off for multiple dives

1 hour ago, TamCarson said:

Peter Grant was outstanding for us today. 

Ref was poor.

Pressure on Stirling now to keep winning, it's their title to lose.

Mon the Sons 

You could equally say it’s Sons title to lose. It’s in our own hands

22 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

What was completely bizarre was Dumbarton having a corner kick in stoppage time at the end of the game. It seemed like nobody wanted to take it and they were happy with their point. 

I genuinely thought we were looking for David Wilson or Ryan Wallace to take it. Which wasn't a great plan as neither were playing today

3 minutes ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

Sounds more like the McGeachie booking. We did have a few cynical bookings tbf so it’s hard to keep track.

Interesting you mention the McGeachie booking.  Like the Dunsmore incidents already mentioned had the referee shown competence by booking McGeachie in the first half for blatantly two-handedly pushing an opponent in the back to the ground (or does Ally Love have eyes in the back of his head and dived ?) he also could have been red-carded.

Never mind Dumbarton's first booking resulting not from a bookable offence but from a weak referee indulging verbal protests from Cummins.

Or what about the Binos first goal which as we all know resulted from a corner.  Except it wasn't a corner - I had a good view and the ball went out off the boot of Dale Carrick.  Hence McNiff's protest and a couple of Sons players turning and walking up the pitch.

But we could go with this tit-for-tat all night.  Better to agree that the Binos had a great chance to put a Dumbarton team which was down to the absolute bare bones and on the back of a hiding last Saturday to the sword at home today and you failed.  And even the officials did their best for you.

10 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

I genuinely thought we were looking for David Wilson or Ryan Wallace to take it. Which wasn't a great plan as neither were playing today

You were at it and you know you were

Felt we played the better football overall but again massively sloppy at times.

Never expected anything than dumbarton showing up a better side than last week.

The high boot looked pretty bad from the admittedly poor view I had of it.

Thought we really shot ourselves in rhe foot at times with slack passing and poor marking.

Two lovely deliveries for the goals.

The desire to play out from the back is admirable and we got a lotnof joy out of it but it didn't half lead to some heart stopping moments at times.

Dumbarton were as physical a side as any we've seen this season.

The last few games, its been unreal how much teams are time wasting against us from early on

Feels like a couple of points dropped but I'm sure there's still plenty drama to come

This is a proper title fight. Said earlier on this thread that fans often judge their team by the last performance, but Dumbarton are clearly a streetwise and effective side who shouldn’t be defined by last weekend’s aberration. They proved that today. 

We haven’t been blowing teams away for quite a while. We’ve lost a lot of attacking threat since Kai Fotheringham was recalled to Dundee United. Fortunately we’re very good from corners which kinda makes up for it. We have experience all over the pitch and on the bench so we should win more than we lose in the run-in. 

Onwards we go. Great crowd today and fair play to the Sons fans. May the best team win.