Binos -vs- Sons - Episode 7

After three games and three postponements, Stirling Albion and Dumbarton finally face off for the first time since October this weekend.

That day, the Binos won 6-0 - it was only Dumbarton's second defeat of the season, and most Sons fans probably would've jumped at the chance to be two points behind come March.

Instead they were jumped last night, with Darren Young's men in superb form and unbeaten in 2023. Whilst Dumbarton were pumped 5-1 at home by Albion Rovers last weekend.

There's a lot of football to be played between now and May. But if Dumbarton lose here then it's Stirling's league to lose imo. And the mood amongst the fanbases couldn't be more different.

This should be fun...

4 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Tell me how to delete a thread. I like the title of yours better

:lol: Not fast yer last.

If you're on a web browser scroll down to 'moderation actions' at the bottom of the page and you should be able to delete it from there!

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

:lol: Not fast yer last.

If you're on a web browser scroll down to 'moderation actions' at the bottom of the page and you should be able to delete it from there!

Thanks for that and apologies to the Dumbarton guy who had already posted on it.

No fair though. I'm auld and have to pee before I do anything.

In football we all have a tendency to judge our team based on the last performance. I hope we don’t do this for Dumbarton. I hope our players assume they’re going to be every bit as effective at getting results as they have been over the season. It was only a couple of weeks ago they went to Stranraer and won 2-0, a place where we have taken a total of 1 point from 2 games. 

Now that we’ve reached the top, I hope we don’t choke or approach things any differently. This is a great opportunity to win and open up a 5 point gap with a pretty decent goal difference advantage. It’s going to be very very difficult, especially since we played last night while Dumbarton rested, but I hope we can bag the 3 points. 

f**k knows how we’ll line up for this one given the random injuries and illness that seems to crop up for different players before every match. If the following aren’t injured I’d be starting them - Carswell, Buchanan, McNiff and anyone up top apart from McLean (I include Ross MacLean in that). Declan Byrne appears to have disappeared again and christ knows what is wrong with Wallace but either of those two being fit to start would be ideal but I wont be holding my breath. 

This has gone from a must not lose to a must win and I couldn’t give a damn how we do it. 

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

f**k knows how we’ll line up for this one given the random injuries and illness that seems to crop up for different players before every match. If the following aren’t injured I’d be starting them - Carswell, Buchanan, McNiff and anyone up top apart from McLean (I include Ross MacLean in that). Declan Byrne appears to have disappeared again and christ knows what is wrong with Wallace but either of those two being fit to start would be ideal but I wont be holding my breath. 

This has gone from a must not lose to a must win and I couldn’t give a damn how we do it. 

Aye I'd agree with that. I've always been a big fan of Rusty McLean, but he just does not look like he fancies it here at all. Aside from a couple of decent cameos early on and that goal against Annan, every time he's on the pitch he looks like he just wants to get off home.

It's no surprise that our best performance of the year came with Byrne up top. If he's still out then I'd be going for either MacLean or maybe even Ally Love up there. Love has flattered to deceive a bit, but he's not dissimilar to Byrne in that he's hardworking, has a decent touch, a wee bit of pace and is a threat in front of goal. He's a grafter who won't skulk around avoiding the ball too. The fact he looks like he's going to get sent-off at least three times a game for dissent isn't ideal, but at least he actually looks like he's wanting to be there.

Called off at 2.30 just out of spite I'm predicting...

In all seriousness I have no idea what we'll do in this game with the bodies available. On a more important matter, are the Baker Street pubs a decent shout pre-game considering the Scotland game is on? Any other suggestions? Not particularly arsed about watching it as the real game of national importance is at Forthbank but would like to be able to get a pint

Sons fans should be reassured that after my cameo appearance at the Rock last Saturday, I will be taking a seat a Hampden for the 1st of my 5-game package deal.

So, in essence, for Saturday, Sons now have a better chance, while Cyprus are licking their lips at the prospect of taking an unlikely scalp.

42 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

In all seriousness I have no idea what we'll do in this game with the bodies available. On a more important matter, are the Baker Street pubs a decent shout pre-game considering the Scotland game is on? Any other suggestions? Not particularly arsed about watching it as the real game of national importance is at Forthbank but would like to be able to get a pint

There is the  Springkerse View pub and grill next to the Holiday Inn if you prefer a shorter walk to the stadium than the town.  It's no way atmospheric, but if you want a bit more time to relax over your pint it's an option.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g191266-d1541227-Reviews-Springkerse_View_Pub_Grill-Stirling_Scotland.html

2 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

There is the  Springkerse View pub and grill next to the Holiday Inn if you prefer a shorter walk to the stadium than the town.  It's no way atmospheric, but if you want a bit more time to relax over your pint it's an option.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g191266-d1541227-Reviews-Springkerse_View_Pub_Grill-Stirling_Scotland.html

Making Dumbarton fans feel at home, a very nice touch 

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Sons fans should be reassured that after my cameo appearance at the Rock last Saturday, I will be taking a seat a Hampden for the 1st of my 5-game package deal.

So, in essence, for Saturday, Sons now have a better chance, while Cyprus are licking their lips at the prospect of taking an unlikely scalp.

I’d very happily sacrifice the national team for a win on Saturday. Good work.

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

The problem with Baker Street is you’d need to leave the pub about 2.30pm to walk to the taxi rank (3 mins away) and get a taxi to the ground. So while the pubs are better there, the soulless offerings near the stadium will ensure you at least get to watch the whole of the first half of the Scotland game. Saying that, I can’t be sure which pubs will be showing the game so I’d advise phoning ahead. 

5 minutes ago, BinoBalls said:

The problem with Baker Street is you’d need to leave the pub about 2.30pm to walk to the taxi rank (3 mins away) and get a taxi to the ground. So while the pubs are better there, the soulless offerings near the stadium will ensure you at least get to watch the whole of the first half of the Scotland game. Saying that, I can’t be sure which pubs will be showing the game so I’d advise phoning ahead. 

Scotland game's off little interest tbh. Decent pint is the criteria. Maybe a decent selection of malts.