Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wow. No other word needed.

Whenever folk talk about Hampden being shite, the viewing is not the best but when Scotlands winning or goals scored there nothing beat it.

Gary Neville word 'I NEVER experienced anything like it, and probably will never do again'. That's his just commentating.

It;s a special, special place....keep it believe it, take your kids and keep it alive.

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The tears.

DC1374FD-F30E-4B29-9BFC-2A8A91CD4E74.jpeg

The sheer arrogance of the Spaniards since Tuesday has me desperate to take something off them again in the away game and if we’re already qualified before the last game and Norway/Spain are jostling for second place then maybe I wouldn’t mind losing to Norway.

Spain are guaranteed playoffs though tbf 

20 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The sheer arrogance of the Spaniards since Tuesday has me desperate to take something off them again in the away game and if we’re already qualified before the last game and Norway/Spain are jostling for second place then maybe I wouldn’t mind losing to Norway.

Spain are guaranteed playoffs though tbf 

It's set up just like the France games. They spat the dummy too did they not, and then got pumped again 

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's set up just like the France games. They spat the dummy too did they not, and then got pumped again 

At the moment I just have no confidence that Spain have grown any respect for us since the other night. They seem to think that result is purely a function of them not turning up plus the ref/pitch/crowd.

Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if they sleep on us again. 

In fact more generally I think European football has been very slow to react to how much we’ve improved under Clarke and both the top tier and second tier sides still see us as a bit of a free hit particularly at home and expect at least an easy point at Hampden. Long may that continue tbh because teams will become a lot harder to break down when they start respecting us more. 

Edited by Donathan

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Whenever folk talk about Hampden being shite, the viewing is not the best but when Scotlands winning or goals scored there nothing beat it.

Gary Neville word 'I NEVER experienced anything like it, and probably will never do again'. That's his just commentating.

It;s a special, special place....keep it believe it, take your kids and keep it alive.

"its 5pm somewhere" 😄

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I mean it's great when you have that crowd in spite of Hampden imo. The internationals at Celtic park and Ibrox were better. 

A proper national stadium with fans steeply on top of the park making the same racket? Hard to even imagine. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10439056/england-pundit-disrespecting-scotland-spain-white-murphy-jordan/

Apologies if this has been posted already. Never head of the other bloke but Danny Murphy I remember being a really droney, boring pundit during the World Cup who never said anything of note. 'Dull and drab'? Right back at ye, pal.

The weird thing is, there has been no proper rivalry between us and them. But we seem to have really got under their skin. It is actually really funny. Maybe a sign of them being the top nation for a few years has made them arrogant and feeling that no-one should be beating them.  

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/10439056/england-pundit-disrespecting-scotland-spain-white-murphy-jordan/

Apologies if this has been posted already. Never head of the other bloke but Danny Murphy I remember being a really droney, boring pundit during the World Cup who never said anything of note. 'Dull and drab'? Right back at ye, pal.

I think it's just banter from Danny Murphy and Simon Jordan. I would take that story with a pinch of salt as I'm sure it's being misportrayed.

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

At the moment I just have no confidence that Spain have grown any respect for us since the other night. They seem to think that result is purely a function of them not turning up plus the ref/pitch/crowd.

Genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if they sleep on us again. 

In fact more generally I think European football has been very slow to react to how much we’ve improved under Clarke and both the top tier and second tier sides still see us as a bit of a free hit particularly at home and expect at least an easy point at Hampden. Long may that continue tbh because teams will become a lot harder to break down when they start respecting us more. 

We'll do them away as well just like we did with France in 2007. Very similar circumstances a fading super power, a coach out of his depth and a feeling of entitlement. Chuck in a hard working Scotland team who are flying. 

Spain away doesn't give me the fear.  They aren't remotely near the level of the side from 2008 - 2012.  Relatively speaking they are exactly where we were in 2018.  You can't just magic up world class players.  Right now, their true world class players are Rodri, Laporte, and De Gea.  After that, they've a group of very good footballers, but a long way short of their previous best sides, and incomparable with a side like France (or dare I say it even England).

What would concern me most as a Spain fan, is that if a team are able to do what we did - defend with discipline, and block out the centre of the pitch, what on earth do they do?  Their strikers are the weakest position on the pitch.

Even if they dominate the ball in 2 games v Georgia; and away v Norway, they could struggle to score. 

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

I mean it's great when you have that crowd in spite of Hampden imo. The internationals at Celtic park and Ibrox were better. 

A proper national stadium with fans steeply on top of the park making the same racket? Hard to even imagine. 

Maybe if you're a short arse! Both are full of seats with little or no leg room.

11 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Spain away doesn't give me the fear.  They aren't remotely near the level of the side from 2008 - 2012.  Relatively speaking they are exactly where we were in 2018.  You can't just magic up world class players.  Right now, their true world class players are Rodri, Laporte, and De Gea.  After that, they've a group of very good footballers, but a long way short of their previous best sides, and incomparable with a side like France (or dare I say it even England).

What would concern me most as a Spain fan, is that if a team are able to do what we did - defend with discipline, and block out the centre of the pitch, what on earth do they do?  Their strikers are the weakest position on the pitch.

Even if they dominate the ball in 2 games v Georgia; and away v Norway, they could struggle to score. 

We arguably didn't really see their first choice strike force though. Gavi was still one of the world's hottest prospects about a fortnight ago. 

I don't think we need to fear them either, we're pretty damn solid now and nearly always score, particularly at home. Clarke is totally right to say we should always set up to win.

However they can be better than what they were on Tuesday. To be honest what we probably most need them to do is get their shit together.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Will get shot down for saying this but having seen Spain the other night, this gives me the fear. Spain aren’t the only ‘big’ European nation going through a bit of a transition so England have a pretty decent chance of winning the whole thing. Hope to f**k I’m wrong. 

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think it's just banter from Danny Murphy and Simon Jordan. I would take that story with a pinch of salt as I'm sure it's being misportrayed.

There was certainly a fair bit of banter about it with Jim White. I doubt Danny Murphy at least seriously meant what he said.

2 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Will get shot down for saying this but having Spain the other night, this gives me the fear. Spain aren’t the only ‘big’ European nation going through a bit of a transition so England have a pretty decent chance of winning the whole thing. Hope to f**k I’m wrong. 

For me England right now are favourites for the Euros. They were probably the best European side at the World Cup. They and France were well ahead of the others and they were the better side against France and failed to turn it into goals. If Kane had scored that penalty they would have been favourites going into an extra half hour. Germany and Spain are no great shakes at the moment. They beat Italy pretty comfortably last week away from home (2-1 but could easily have been more). Portugal maybe half decent but transitioning Ronaldo and Pepe out of the side.