Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

I think the Jack-McGregor axis in the middle will be crucial to us getting anything from this game. We need terriers in the middle of the park to hassle their midfield and stop them getting time on the ball. I'd say the performances of the subs have given Clarke a bit of a headache in terms of exactly which XI to put on the park though, because McTominay will be unlucky to miss out now having come on and scored two. Possibly it'll be the three of them in the middle with Armstrong dropping out, but that maybe leaves us one short in terms of useful attackers.

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

McTominay isn't a direct replacement for Jack,Ferguson is.
The 3 should be McGregor,Jack and McTominay with Armstrong/Christie and McGinn supporting Dykes.

If we're allowed 12 players that would be great.

I don’t think you can understate just how huge a loss Che Adams is for this game… his hold up play and bringing others into play in these types of games is wonderful. The other factor is that role requires a huge athletic performance in this type of game, and it’s how long Dykes can even manage that for. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think you can understate just how huge a loss Che Adams is for this game… his hold up play and bringing others into play in these types of games is wonderful. The other factor is that role requires a huge athletic performance in this type of game, and it’s how long Dykes can even manage that for. 

I’d be tempted to play with a false nine and keep Dykes on the bench in case we need to chase in the second half. We’re going to need as many bodies as possible tracking back into midfield in this game and I’m not sure Dykes is a good candidate for that.

Gunn

Porteous - Hanley - Tierney

Hickey - McTom - Jack - McGregor - Robbo

McGinn

Christie 

Edited by Donathan

17 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’d be tempted to play with a false nine and keep Dykes on the bench in case we need to chase in the second half. We’re going to need as many bodies as possible tracking back into midfield in this game and I’m not sure Dykes is a good candidate for that.

Gunn

Porteous - Hanley - Tierney

Hickey - McTom - Jack - McGregor - Robbo

McGinn

Christie 

scotland-selector-spain1-mar-2023-2209fa3d64e7a3f88a5d14f4fce3a0e5.thumb.jpg.0792c431977bd393ca0ce787eefae53a.jpg

47 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yup.  He’s by a mile our best forward.  His first touch is unreal, and his ability to play the target man role is pretty essential to the way Scotland play.  Massive loss. 

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You maybe right if Spain go with Morata but if they go with Joselu I would stick with Hanley.

Slight issue with this. We don’t get to see the Spain team sheet before we have to submit ours. 

There's no way we play a back 4 in this game

Don't really expect many changes.

I liked the midfield box we saw on Saturday. It allows us to get numbers in to press in the middle and gives good angles for the passes between the lines from Porteous and Tierney into the advanced midfielders of Armstrong and Mcginn.

Tifo did a good video on the midfield box recently, worth a watch

https://youtu.be/cnpTFZ0QNbY

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Slight issue with this. We don’t get to see the Spain team sheet before we have to submit ours. 

But we can talk about it on here M8, if Morata plays we don't need to worry about the ball over the top but different if it's Joselu,for me this is why we've got to flood the midfield to stop the source and play with  a back four.

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

McTominay isn't a direct replacement for Jack,Ferguson is.
The 3 should be McGregor,Jack and McTominay with Armstrong/Christie and McGinn supporting Dykes.

Why would Jack who has been playing behind the striker, or even the furthered man forward for his club. Be considered a direct replacement for Jack?

When McTominay who plays the exact same position, and has shown he can adapt to any midfield role not be considered?

Edited by BingMcCrosby

We've been caught out 2 or 3 times before playing a back 5 to fit Robertson and Tierney, when coming up against a side, like the Spanish,  who will flood centre midfield with 5 narrow 

And we can't get near the ball

A 4231 for me to match up

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Why would Jack who has been playing behind the striker, or even the furthered man forward for his club. Be considered a direct replacement for Jack?

When McTominay who plays the exact same position, and has shown he can adapt to any midfield role not be considered?

For me Jack and McTominay are totally different midfielders, Jack reads the game better and can control a midfield dictate the play all these things McTominay still needs to learn plus there is no way Jack could do what McTominay did when he came on yesterday. 

16 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For me Jack and McTominay are totally different midfielders, Jack reads the game better and can control a midfield dictate the play all these things McTominay still needs to learn plus there is no way Jack could do what McTominay did when he came on yesterday. 

Their all different. But in terms of a swap, McTominay and Jack are more similar than Ferguson.

Alot is getting made of Jack playing, we have a squad for a reason and we're playing Spain in 2 days. Using some of the squad and resting others when your at home to Cyprus seems like exactly the right thing to do.

4 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Their all different. But in terms of a swap, McTominay and Jack are more similar than Ferguson.

Alot is getting made of Jack playing, we have a squad for a reason and we're playing Spain in 2 days. Using some of the squad and resting others when your at home to Cyprus seems like exactly the right thing to do.

That's your opinion M8, I disagree there attributes and abilities are very different which means they're better being in the same side not one for the other.

22 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

That's your opinion M8, I disagree there attributes and abilities are very different which means they're better being in the same side not one for the other.

Of course it is, my names at the top of the post and then you know its me giving my opinion 🤣 i dont have to say "and thats my opinion" at the end of the post.

Im not denying you your's just disagreeing.

If your talking a first pick side i wouldn't have jack in it at all. Hes always done well for Scotland but he's not on top form and in and out of his club side.

Edited by BingMcCrosby