Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

2-0 Spain.

Watched this full match and still none the wiser about how good either side really is.

Football twitter saying Norway have outclassed Spain which is not what I’m seeing really. It’s been a dull game but Spain deserving of the three points 

Spain are obviously still quite a few tiers above us and likely to skelp us, but looking at their starting line-up tonight, it's nowhere near as scary as it once was. It's not an impossible task to get a positive result.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Spain are obviously still quite a few tiers above us and likely to skelp us, but looking at their starting line-up tonight, it's nowhere near as scary as it once was. It's not an impossible task to get a positive result.

We could do an England and time waste and dive from the first minute 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

I’m not totally convinced Spain are that much better than Denmark who we beat fairly comfortably at Hampden 18 months ago. That Denmark side had nothing to play for though. 

They had a first ever 100% record to play for,  I think 

Just now, Donathan said:

I’m not totally convinced Spain are that much better than Denmark who we beat fairly comfortably at Hampden 18 months ago. That Denmark side had nothing to play for though. 

That's become orthodoxy now, but it's still not true. IIRC, they screwed themselves out of top seeding at the tournament by losing to us, and knew it'd likely be necessary beforehand.

Did they not lose some kind of bonus for not winning all their games too? @craigkillie

I watched the game and to be honest it was quite a good game to watch. Both teams had good spells in the game and looked like good teams on the ball although they both had bad moments in the game. I don't think the final scoreline is a good guide to how the game panned out but on the whole I'd not argue with anyone saying Spain deserved to win.

Spain are just one of the large, established European powers now, in much the same way they were before becoming a superpower fifteen years ago.

They'll still be quite a bit better than us, and therefore strong favourites against us, and in the group more generally.

We can certainly cause them problems at home though, and must look to do so, banishing nonsensical, self fulfilling nonsense about free hits.  

I bet Spain do drop points in this campaign, and I'd say it's therefore important to try making sure they drop some against us.

28 minutes ago, Donathan said:

26 minutes ago, Binos said:

They had a first ever 100% record to play for,  I think 

And a bonus of 100K a man for said 100% record.

Looking at the highlights of the Cyprus game, the first two goals are really well taken by McGinn and McTominay. I’m looking forward to the 🇪🇸 game to see how we do against better opposition. C’mon Scotland! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Spain are just one of the large, established European powers now, in much the same way they were before becoming a superpower fifteen years ago.

They'll still be quite a bit better than us, and therefore strong favourites against us, and in the group more generally.

We can certainly cause them problems at home though, and must look to do so, banishing nonsensical, self fulfilling nonsense about free hits.  

I bet Spain do drop points in this campaign, and I'd say it's therefore important to try making sure they drop some against us.

I was at the 2-3 game just to see Iniesta,this Spain squad has no where near the same quality of that team 15 years ago.
McGregor had a great night in goal plus Naismith had one of his best games in a Scotland jersey, if it wasn't for McManus getting caught under the ball we could've got the draw.
This Spain side can be got at,we should be taking the game to them and at least get the draw.
I don't want to see a 4-5-1 from Clarke, we should be going 4-3-3 in their faces performance.

Wouldn’t be overly surprised if we got something here. 
Our tatty field of a pitch will certainly help us, can’t imagine many of the Spanish superstars will have much experience of playing on a midden like that. Good, let’s use it to our advantage.

Oh and please start McTominay instead of Ryan Jack, for goodness sake.

0-0