Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

57 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is absolutely wild, football is a squad game, and Jack is a big contributor to that. He's not a first choice, but he still has a lot to offer. It's incredible how people will let their bitter club loyalties influence their thoughts to this extent.

I've never understood booing your own players. 

Of course there's the almost tongue in cheek "We'll support you up to four..." if your team's having its collective pants pulled over its head, but if your players are representing your team in a domestic game, or your country in an international, it seems to me that you're booing yourself. 

You deal with whether or not he plays again when you pick the next team or squad. I've never played professional football (hard to believe, I know) but if one of my team mates was being booed every time he went near the ball or even when the lineups were being announced, it'd probably have an effect on me as well, apart from the stupidity of setting up daft and unnecessary divisions between the support. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This is absolutely wild, football is a squad game, and Jack is a big contributor to that. He's not a first choice, but he still has a lot to offer. It's incredible how people will let their bitter club loyalties influence their thoughts to this extent.

It’s amazing how people will assume club loyalties has everything to do with what people say.

f**k all to do with that Craig. More to do with his injury record and amount of games he’s played over the years, so jog on.

31, injury prone, out of contract in the summer, but aye it’s because he wears a blue shirt I’d rather see McTominay and Ferguson take his place 😂

Before his troubles started I thought he was a great player, since then it’s been ever diminishing returns.

I'll just be repeating whats been said but just want to join in this tremendous chat!

What a team of rides this is! To a man absolutely faultless. Although i predicted the line up i thought SJM and christie would end up a lot deeper but fair play to Clarke. right up against them!

The bit that summed it up for me was the ball dropping to Mcgergor in his own half near the end. How many times over the years would we be leading  a big game and that ball just getting booted to f**k? instead he takes it in then skins a Spain player, bursts forward and lays it into Shanklands path. Suuuuperb!

Jack fills a different role to either Ferguson or McTominay. I don't particularly like him but see he has a place in the squad. Hopefully he'll become redundant if Gilmour can kick on. I was at both games and didn't hear any booing and always feel these things are being exaggerated by folk wanting to stir things up, there will always be a couple of idiots (though I admit to not being at peak alertness levels on Saturday 🍻)

36 minutes ago, stressball said:

It’s amazing how people will assume club loyalties has everything to do with what people say.

f**k all to do with that Craig. More to do with his injury record and amount of games he’s played over the years, so jog on.

31, injury prone, out of contract in the summer, but aye it’s because he wears a blue shirt I’d rather see McTominay and Ferguson take his place 😂

Before his troubles started I thought he was a great player, since then it’s been ever diminishing returns.

I think making reference about not having to worry about any booing of Jack is probably what has triggered the negative feedback to your comment.

With that being said, I think saying he can stay at home is also a bit of a wild take considering his performances for Scotland under Clarke.

56 minutes ago, stressball said:

Who's your team pal?

I too have never got the booing your own team mentality. Old enough to remember Brian McClair getting it tight at Hampden which was bewildering then too.

1 hour ago, stressball said:

Hardly warrants him being booed tbh. 

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I find this 'they didn't play football' chat just utterly bizarre. What would they have said about our team in that rough period during the 2010s?

I also hope for their sake they don't get drawn against the Republic of Ireland anytime soon.

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hardly warrants him being booed tbh. 

36 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Who's your team pal?

I too have never got the booing your own team mentality. Old enough to remember Brian McClair getting it tight at Hampden which was bewildering then too.

Celtic.

I‘m not saying  he should be booed either.

11 hours ago, JMDPco said:

The amount of players Spain left out of the squad was baffling though. Hermoso has been the best centre half in la Liga since the world cup but nowhere near the squad. Same goes for De Gea, Llorente, Koke, Parejo, Moreno, etc.

10 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Might be a very different team we face next time we play them. 

Questions are no doubt being asked in the Spanish media with regards to the wisdom of his clear-out/squad selection.

Spain are in the same position as we were in 3 years ago,they don't know who their best defenders, midfielders or attackers are plus they have a bigger pool of players to choose from.
Making 8 changes proves that from one game to the next, the runs from Tierney(for the second goal),Dykes(should've stepped across the defender) and McGregor at the end of the game would put major question marks over the Spanish players chasing them down.
People saying Spain underestimated us is absolute mince, Scotland are just 3 years ahead of them in terms of building a squad.
Whether the Spain manager gets it right or not by the time we play them again we know Scotland is in a great place moving forward.
We took the scalp and enjoyed every moment of the game. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I think making reference about not having to worry about any booing of Jack is probably what has triggered the negative feedback to your comment.

With that being said, I think saying he can stay at home is also a bit of a wild take considering his performances for Scotland under Clarke.

The fact that it's spilled over into this thread,in a game he didn't play in with a major victory.
I thought the booing in this game did affect the player it was aim at.

Fantastic result.

Like a number of others, I was there in 84 when we last beat them. 2 from Mo and a screamer from Kenny, but it’s the performances from Jim Bett and Stevie Nichol that I remember as the real standouts.

Worth pointing out though that the next home game was a 1-0 defeat from Wales that was every bit as bad as the Spain game was good. Lets hope we keep our feet on the ground and keep the momentum going. 

A tweet from 2016 is doing the rounds from some guy moaning about about McGinn and Tierney being selected of Jason Holt and Lee Wallace, and that we all treat you (you know who you are) with derision when you ask for randos at your club to be called up. 

See also: the much more recent Lee Ashcroft > Ryan Porteous shout.

Jack should be left out the squad because Ferguson & McTominay are better is a ridiculous take, don't think anyone is saying he should be starting but he's a good squad player.

Wait the statement come from a Celtic fan? Best ignored then.

Late to the posting party, but I was there in heart and soul at 01;45 ko. on holiday with my sisters for the first time in 4 years.

I headed to the room early at 22;00 to get some sleep before the game. My son was also with me. we brought the laptop with us just to get the dodgy stream.

What a night, what a feeling...

I never do this but here goes

Gunn - not to much to do but what he did he did good 

Hickey - showed maturity of a McGrain type performance, not much came from their left side because of him

Porteous - Thought he had the game of his life.

Hanley - never missed a header or takle all night

Tierney - got caught out a few times, but made up for with that run.

Robertson - Shat myself with that silly involvement he got himself into, but had a stella performance.

McGregor - the silence but destructive player, every team wants.  Not your 70's hardman midfielder, but the guy nobody got past, still thing he is running, great engine.

McTominey - playing in his best position now, box to box

Christie - runs his heart out with style

McGinn - kept hold of the ball when needed, used his arse  all over the pitch.

Dykes - Those Spaniards, never liked 1 minute of him during the game, were run ragged at time with his movement.

Subs - Cooper, finished the job. McLean, solid and stopped their right winger being as dangeruous.