Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

43 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Indeed - I, personally, thought it was tremendous from the north stand in particular with how sudden and loud the boos were when Porro (or anyone on that side of the park) got the ball. There's no doubt that the Tartan Army had a part to play in last night's win, and they definitely added to Porro and Joselu's frustrations. I have a feeling that Spain will be out for revenge when we meet them in the Autumn... But Clarke will have us focused and hopefully well-drilled enough to avoid being riled by the home fans.

That ball boy n' all. Gallus as ye like, basically got Porro hooked all by himself. 

We've had some cracking days and nights even in my time going to Scotland games (1-1 with Germany in the Vogts era kicked me off) but my word that was right up there amongst the absolute best of them all, in every respect; performance, atmosphere and result. 

Got back in the house shortly after 11 this morning and have done sweet f**k all else but watched and rewatched highlights, read reaction, scrolled through twitter, hell I even read Tom English's bumf. 

There was a real sense we could get something from this game but as gallus as I tried to play it, I did not envisage us snuffing them out so effectively. They really had that one spell within the game where they looked like they were going to overwhelm us but it seemed like getting to halftime killed that off. The second goal especially seemed to break what little spirit that incredibly unlikeable spanish side had about them. 

Rodri and his pals making exhibitions of themselves during and after the game was of course an added wee slice of delight on what was an already sumptuous treat. Dry yer eyes ya gonks. 

We absolutely merited that win and had we scored a third right at the death following Mcgregor's brilliant wee mazey, it would have been entirely deserved.

Porteous would genuinely stick the but on an asteroid if it was making its way into the Scotland box. Guy is a sensation. Everyone was brilliant. Gunn had pretty much nothing to do most of the evening but f**k it, he was brilliant anawl. Tierney, Mcgregor, McTominay, Robertson, Christie, Hanley, Hickey, Dykes, even the subs, every single one of them, just outstanding. What a team we have, what a squad, and Clarke is an out and out genius. Guy behind me at the game, upon seeing just how high into the atmosphere the Spanish heeds had gone, declared him 'a genuine football terrorist'. His team fair terrorised the spanish into their meek white-hankey, piss-water display. 

Utterly pleasing on every level.

Don't get carried away/we could still come a cropper against Georgia/Haaland could be back in June blah blah blah, we're getting out of this group, folks. With games to spare.

Mass Ceilidh in Germany when we win the whole shebang. Heel toe here we go. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I am always happy to admit when I am wrong 🤣

I’ve only just seen his post match interview where they ask him about what Rodri was saying. His response was disappointingly professional and mature, not even a smirk. Looks like you can take Leith out a man after all. 😉

Reminded me of the first time seeing an interview with the guy who played Father Jack in Father Ted. Or the boy who plays Jamie Tartt in Ted Lasso.

1 hour ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Indeed - I, personally, thought it was tremendous from the north stand in particular with how sudden and loud the boos were when Porro (or anyone on that side of the park) got the ball. There's no doubt that the Tartan Army had a part to play in last night's win, and they definitely added to Porro and Joselu's frustrations. I have a feeling that Spain will be out for revenge when we meet them in the Autumn... But Clarke will have us focused and hopefully well-drilled enough to avoid being riled by the home fans.

I'm in the North West curve and it was tremendous at one point when Porro got hammered by KT for the ball to go out of play.  Porro rolled about right in front of the North and you could see a swarm of folk charge forward giving him dogs abuse. 

Long may it continue. We're getting Hampden sold out for pretty much every game just now. There's definitely been a bit of an friendly vibe in some games where folk turn on their phone torches in the second half and it can absolutely remain at Coldplay gigs in my humble opinion. I'd far rather we give folk the Porro treatment every game. 

I'm a bit late to the party but what a fucking night that was. Everyone will have said what I'm about to say already but it deserves saying again.

The way the players executed the plan that Clarke and his staff put together last night was perfect. The back 5 were colossal to a man. Porteous has pleasantly shocked me with how much of a step up he's taken. Like a duck to water and shut me up, fair play. A superb shithouse.

The midfield 4 absolutely worked their bollocks off. McGinn could barely move 60 minutes into the game and still lasted another 25 minutes. Christie is made for games like that, a technical player with graft. McGregor and McTominay, a pair of Rolls Royces, classy players who competed superbly with the Spanish. And Dykes up front, monumental effort and answered some pretty unjust questioning of his ability, I'm gutted he didn't finish the chance just on half time as he deserved a goal.

The way the players took no nonsense from the Spanish was superb. Previous Scottish teams would have been drawn into their theatrics and caved in, this bunch have fire in their bellies and ice in their brains. Our own shithousing was superb - Hickey rolling back onto the pitch and the Spanish rage should be a picture hung in the Louvre.

Clarke, my god, he's given us a team to be proud of. The group of lads I go with, we've been going a fair few campaigns now, travelling from Aberdeen, Inverness, Stirling and one from Pollokshields. Clarke has given us our best nights as Scotland fans - Israel, Denmark, South Ireland. But last night he gave us the best night of the lot. His tactical setup and substitutions were spot on.

Weird side note, the second half referee was a significant step up on the first half one. Handled the game in a more balanced manner and it flowed far better.

The Spanish players, a horrible bunch who deserved what they got last night.

23 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm in the North West curve and it was tremendous at one point when Porro got hammered by KT for the ball to go out of play.  Porro rolled about right in front of the North and you could see a swarm of folk charge forward giving him dogs abuse. 

I’m in the same area of stadium.

However as well as booing opposition players why the fcuk do some of our own supporters continue to think that it’s ok to boo and abuse one of our players?

Yes. I’m talking specifically about the abuse directed towards Ryan Jack. 

It is fcuking shitebag ned behaviour. 

Scumbags.

ETA: happened again last night as the teams and substitutes were read out. 

Edited by Molotov

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Found myself so desperate to find different highlights I have ended up watching those weird videos where someone is talking about the game over computer game graphics.

Sportscene iPlayer had the highlights on earlier. I think they get delayed due to the rights issue.

To put the twee pish about the most valuable Spanish player costing more than the whole Scotland team to bed, transfermarkt has the most valubale Spanish player as Pedri at 100m. The combined value of the Scottish starting 11 last night is just over 171m.

This wasn't Man City vs Woking, it was more like Aston Villa vs Blackburn Rovers.

Aye, my mate and I were saying as much last night on the way back. League by league, we've more than enough EPL players to compete against that Spain line up. Obviously, there's a few exceptions in there with the likes of Porteous, Hanley and Dykes but the English Championship is the comfortably as good as the overwhelming majority of top flight leagues. It'll be exactly the same people who look at other smaller nations doing well and ask 'Why not us?'. 

I live in Madrid. The last day or so has been brilliant. 

Watched the game in a regular haunt last night full of Real Madrid wanks. Some absolutely glorious tears. Work this morning was brilliant too, full bam up mode with the Porteous smug face on all day. 

It's all been said here but the full squad were magnificent. Callum McGregor is a ridiculous footballer - strolls into most teams in the world imho. 

The amount of players Spain left out of the squad was baffling though. Hermoso has been the best centre half in la Liga since the world cup but nowhere near the squad. Same goes for De Gea, Llorente, Koke, Parejo, Moreno, etc.

Edited by JMDPco

Might be a very different team we face next time we play them.  Like us v Cyprus, two late goals made their 3-0 game against Norway look more comfortable than it was, and now this.

Questions are no doubt being asked in the Spanish media with regards to the wisdom of his clear-out/squad selection.

We just need to keep the head.  Think Clarke will do that.  We have our noses in front, let's keep it that way as I can see all the teams dropping points in this group as it will be so tight.  Except us hopefully 😉 

With Spain not playing in June we have to be viewing that window as an opportunity to try and build a very strong lead in the section. Georgia and Norway both face Cyprus so you have to assume they’ll both take care of business against the bottom seed. If we can get 4 points then we’ll have a 5 point lead over whichever of those sides we draw with (Norway?), 6 over the other and 7 over Spain, albeit with Spain having two games in hand.

4 points in June plus a win in Cyprus in September probably just means having to win one of the last three games of draw all three of them (Spain away in October then the final double header of Georgia away and Norway home) 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's the deal with Jack getting booed? Weird behaviour. 

I mean I could take a guess at which faction of the Scottish football community was booing the Rangers player. I'd be guessing mind...

52 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's the deal with Jack getting booed? Weird behaviour. 

One eyed Celtic and Aberdeen fans, id imagine.

Type of folk who'll challenge you to a fight if you say their team played poorly that one time.