Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

Being in league A of the nations league is an excellent opportunity to play more matches against teams of Spain’s calibre. While the initial aim will just be to avoid the drop, you need to factor in that we will probably take the format more seriously than some of the bigger hitters in league A. 

Just now, Donathan said:

Being in league A of the nations league is an excellent opportunity to play more matches against teams of Spain’s calibre. While the initial aim will just be to avoid the drop, you need to factor in that we will probably take the format more seriously than some of the bigger hitters in league A. 

The other league a teams will be properly packing their pants now, and rightly so.

Is this a pivotal moment for us? Yes, we've steadily got better over past get years and had some tremendous results but is this the one that gives not just the team but EVEYONE the belief that we can go further than ever?

A lot of top teams are in decline. Italy, Germany, Spain are all faltering. Belgium showed in the WC they're average. If we qualify, a slightly favourable draw could see us not just finally get past the group, but possibly a round or two further. 

Lads like Tierney and Christie at their best are as good as anyone. Robbie, McGinn, McSauce we've got such a core of players at perhaps the highest, or close to, highest level? 

11 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Agreed wholly - look at how far their star has fallen since 2012 with their most recent Euros win. A team which featured genuinely world-class players, all of whom were lauded for playing some of the best football ever to be played on the biggest stages of all. Over time, they've all been replaced with players who, while they are obviously very good, are nowhere near fit to lace the boots of their predecessors. It's the classic thing that a big team does when they turn up and are poor where they look to blame everything but themselves - the truth is that they were equally as poor as we were good on the night. Add to that, de la Fuente appears not to have taken us seriously at all with the amount of subs he made. Alright, some changes were enforced due to injuries, but it was clear that Spain thought they could just turn up and stroll it.

Compare this to Scotland. The Clarke reign has seen incremental improvement upon improvement with the dross being phased out in favour of players who are largely better and buy into the manager's philosophy. While there were some big losses at the start (the games against Russia and Belgium come to mind, and I thought after the Belgium game where KDB ran the show that we would never qualify for a tournament ever again) the rewards have come. Like all teams, we've had good luck (the Euros being pushed back a year enabling McGinn to regain fitness otherwise there's no way we'd have qualified) and bad luck (the invasion of Ukraine leading to the playoff semi-final being played in June when our players were all gubbed and the Ukrainians fresh, compared to March where we picked up two relatively decent results against Poland and Austria), but now we're starting to see full houses at Hampden and commanding performances where teams are turning up and leaving with nothing. Last night eclipses the games against Serbia and Denmark, and is the marquee result that we've needed. Last night would have no doubt shocked people the world over who probably expected the Scotland of old and the Spain of old to turn up, with predictable consequences. Not any more. I hope that these results are just the start of something remarkable, and maybe it's just the enthusiasm from last night still nowhere close to leaving my system but I have a feeling that we've got more to come like this.

As for the individual players, I can't fault a single player in dark blue last night - every man knows his role and what he's expected to do. As others have mentioned, Tierney and McTominay were immense and it's wild that neither are playing regularly at their club sides. Robertson was brilliant and maybe should have handled himself slightly better to avoid the booking from the Porro incident, but was exemplary the rest of the game. This team, subs and all, goes onto the pitch and leaves absolutely nothing in the changing room. 

Then there's the gaffer. I didn't think I could love him any more than when he managed Killie, but he's just the best. To all the wee guys who were moaning about his brand of football being boring after signing his new deal, I ask you this? Where is your god? Where is your god now?

¡Es una mierda ser español!.png

Fantastic post, sums it up so well. I'm 35 and been going to Scotland games since John McGinlay's winner v Sweden at Ibrox in 1997. This is far and away the best I've ever seen from the national side, the Euro 2008 campaign was great, but ultimately a failure. This team have already been a success and I'm sure will continue to succeed

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Chapeau, mo. Always nice to see a bit of magnanimity from one of our Jambo chums..............😉

I am always happy to admit when I am wrong 🤣

I’ve only just seen his post match interview where they ask him about what Rodri was saying. His response was disappointingly professional and mature, not even a smirk. Looks like you can take Leith out a man after all. 😉

Edited by Jambomo

22 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Is this a pivotal moment for us? Yes, we've steadily got better over past get years and had some tremendous results but is this the one that gives not just the team but EVEYONE the belief that we can go further than ever?

A lot of top teams are in decline. Italy, Germany, Spain are all faltering. Belgium showed in the WC they're average. If we qualify, a slightly favourable draw could see us not just finally get past the group, but possibly a round or two further. 

Lads like Tierney and Christie at their best are as good as anyone. Robbie, McGinn, McSauce we've got such a core of players at perhaps the highest, or close to, highest level? 

Probably a bit defeatist, but i would take just qualifying and getting out the group. The next two games are absolutely pivotal in this campaign, i have to admit i fear Haaland scoring against us and georgia have burnt us twice already. Take nothing away from last night though. Our best result since 2007. 

21 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Fantastic post, sums it up so well. I'm 35 and been going to Scotland games since John McGinlay's winner v Sweden at Ibrox in 1997. This is far and away the best I've ever seen from the national side, the Euro 2008 campaign was great, but ultimately a failure. This team have already been a success and I'm sure will continue to succeed

That was my first Scotland game too.

31 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Let us see if we qualify first

42 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Out of interest, when’s the final for the Nations League? Need to make sure I’m off work…

4 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Absolutely.

My wee boy's first game was Denmark. Since then been to Ireland, Cyprus and last night. He's 4-0 and strolled out of Hampden last night begging me to take him to Germany!

It's going to be a tough come down for these lads at some point in the future!

I'm 70 and want to go to Germany.  Take me!    I won't greet when we lose. (much)

Just now, cyderspaceman said:

They seem overly concerned a bout 'boos from the stands'.

Indeed - I, personally, thought it was tremendous from the north stand in particular with how sudden and loud the boos were when Porro (or anyone on that side of the park) got the ball. There's no doubt that the Tartan Army had a part to play in last night's win, and they definitely added to Porro and Joselu's frustrations. I have a feeling that Spain will be out for revenge when we meet them in the Autumn... But Clarke will have us focused and hopefully well-drilled enough to avoid being riled by the home fans.

2 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Indeed - I, personally, thought it was tremendous from the north stand in particular with how sudden and loud the boos were when Porro (or anyone on that side of the park) got the ball. There's no doubt that the Tartan Army had a part to play in last night's win, and they definitely added to Porro and Joselu's frustrations. I have a feeling that Spain will be out for revenge when we meet them in the Autumn... But Clarke will have us focused and hopefully well-drilled enough to avoid being riled by the home fans.

I hope Clarke's instructions to the players that night are to "fa' aboot the place". 

Play them at their own shan game. 

1 minute ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I hope Clarke's instructions to the players that night are to "fa' aboot the place". 

Play them at their own shan game. 

To be fair I thought we were quite good at that last night - the ref gave us a reasonable amount of fouls that probably shouldn't have been fouls, with the Spanish also getting a few. Lots to happen between now and then, though.