Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Not a fan either, but watching it for the in-stadium footage. At one point he says he thinks some of the Spain players might be worth more than our entire squad, which isn't even close to being true. I would reckon Andy Robertson was the most valuable player on that park last night, and probably the combined value of our squad would be easily £150m+ in today's market when you think of Robertson, Hickey, McTominay, Tierney and McGinn as our top level players, even before you get into the likes of Adams, McGregor, Patterson etc.

Agreed. I'm not even sure which Spain player would be that highly valued? Gavi maybe?

17 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

I agree with Rodri.

Spain had some fucking weapons in their team tonight. Get it right up every one of them :)

They really are a very unlikeable bunch. Spoiled wee bitches without the talent or bottle to back it up.

Utterly bizarre that De La Fuentes left out so many players. If I was a Spain fan I'd be livid about that. 

Now that McTam has been moved into midfield I can see him catching up with McGinn's goal tally. It's quite the goalscoring midfield we have now. McGregor is a gorgeous footballer who never seems to get tired. Showing Gavi such a clean pair of heels in injury time was astounding. What a fucking engine that boy has. He'll probably stay at Celtic, but I'd love to see him in serie A.

I honestly would feel good about us playing anyone now aside from France (who are on another level to everyone). 

I absolutely love this current group of players, I didn't think it was possible to like Sir Steve Clarke more than I already did after his spell at Killie but there you go the guys a legend.

The Spanish guy in our 5s group said he couldn't make it tonight he's clearly seething hahaha.

Always funny to see big teams getting rattled by a team that choose to take the game to them and let them know they don't give a f**k who they are. Good to know we are capable of this now and don't fear teams, especially at Hampden.

Really pathetic embarrassing stuff from Spain with all their moaning and crying, we were excellent and they were shite. That's all.

That's the same sort of shite that the England set up and pundits come up with after an embarrassing / suprise defeat. Thought other top nations would be a bit more grown up about it. Clearly not.

Get it fucking roon them. c***s.

I was thinking about players from my 'era' of playing school/youth football (I was born in 1985) so I'm from the same era as the likes of McFadden, Fletcher, Hutton, Mulgrew etc and when I was younger you didn't get taught how to play football, it was all about fitness and speed.  You had drills of course but you didn't learn anything.

I later became a youth coach (only at HL level but we had some The Caley and Ross County rejects) and I was coaching the 1993/1994 births, the same era as McGregor, McGinn, Christie, and the way we coached them was like night and day to how I was coached a decade earlier, It was far more possession based, shape-based, movement based, stopping drills in the middle to ask the players where they move to next or what they did wrong.

It seems too coincidental that players born in that era seem better, more comfortable on the ball, more intelligent in possession.  Did these lads born in the early to mid 90s, the guys who make up the majority of the squads these days, just get taught how to be........footballers?

46 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

Outstanding performance all round, but they're going to have to throw a game soon. The young team who started going to Scotland games a few years back don't understand the apprehension, fear and self-loathing that over-shadows a lifetime of being a Scottish fan, and as such, are likely to grow up to be optimistic, well-adjusted and normal members of society. It's just not on - a self-inflicted defeat away to Cyprus is the only way we can save the new generation of Scotland fans...

OK. Back to the highlights...

31 minutes ago, deadasdillinger said:

Indeed. My wee boy is W6 D1 L1 following Scotland. Unheard of!

Similarly my son is now 13 and whilst old enough to have seen Scotland lose regularly, hasn't really experienced the truly awful parts of it. Especially in terms of actually going. He's only recently been deemed old enough to actually go to the midweek fixtures in Glasgow so last night was only his 4th Scotland game in person, three of which were in the last few months (Ukraine (the playoff, not the Nations League shoeing), Cyprus and now Spain). Brilliant to have him with me last night though and for him to see Hampden under the lights genuinely bouncing.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was thinking about players from my 'era' of playing school/youth football (I was born in 1985) so I'm from the same era as the likes of McFadden, Fletcher, Hutton, Mulgrew etc and when I was younger you didn't get taught how to play football, it was all about fitness and speed.  You had drills of course but you didn't learn anything.

I later became a youth coach (only at HL level but we had some The Caley and Ross County rejects) and I was coaching the 1993/1994 births, the same era as McGregor, McGinn, Christie, and the way we coached them was like night and day to how I was coached a decade earlier, It was far more possession based, shape-based, movement based, stopping drills in the middle to ask the players where they move to next or what they did wrong.

It seems too coincidental that players born in that era seem better, more comfortable on the ball, more intelligent in possession.  Did these lads born in the early to mid 90s, the guys who make up the majority of the squads these days, just get taught how to be........footballers?

For years we've had the argument that "ye don't see kids on the streets" but over the last few years I'm a firm believe that we're developing more technical players due to the introduction of plastic pitches across communities. Its absolute more expansion but it definitely makes it easier to play on better surfaces throughout the year. 

As much as technology and the modern world gets blamed for a lot of stuff, I think the access to football from around the world on the TV has helped these guys too - they've grown up being able to watch Spanish and Italian football and the Champions League, which gives them a different set of players to aspire to. Computer games like FIFA help a bit too in terms of getting players to think about the game too, the different aspects of each role, how to find space etc.

49 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

Outstanding performance all round, but they're going to have to throw a game soon. The young team who started going to Scotland games a few years back don't understand the apprehension, fear and self-loathing that over-shadows a lifetime of being a Scottish fan, and as such, are likely to grow up to be optimistic, well-adjusted and normal members of society. It's just not on - a self-inflicted defeat away to Cyprus is the only way we can save the new generation of Scotland fans...

Georgia away will sort them out no doubt.

28 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Agreed. I'm not even sure which Spain player would be that highly valued? Gavi maybe?

Kepa was obviously very expensive, but wasn't actually worth that, even if he's pretty good. Laporte is a really good defender but isn't up there with the likes of Ramos and Pique. Carvajal was an elite level full-back but as we saw last night he's probably on his way down now. That does just leave Gavi from their current squad.

1 minute ago, Virtual Insanity said:

I know he's the p***k du jour, but Man City paid £63m for Rodri 2 years ago and he's unquestionably one of the best in the world in that position and a bit younger than Robertson, I think he'd probably make it into any midfield in world football at the moment.

...except Steve Clarke's.

McGinn literally better than Zidane, McTerminator on fire and McGregor hasn't misplaced a pass since about 2004. 

11 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

I know he's the p***k du jour, but Man City paid £63m for Rodri 2 years ago and he's unquestionably one of the best in the world in that position and a bit younger than Robertson, I think he'd probably make it into any midfield in world football at the moment.

Right enough forgot about that horse's arse. Probably still worth a fair bit.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I got the Euro 2020 top from a supplier on DH Gate for me and the boy and they were decent quality. Postmark on the package it came in was that place Covid originated in. 

And as if by magic, it's just arrived.  

As with the other tops I've had, it appears genuine, most likely a "second" that's failed quality control somewhere.  

IMG20230329144713.jpg

IMG20230329144717.jpg

Going by the Spanish Press - Rodri's tear filled rant on Viaplay never reached the Iberian peninsula.

Rodrigo has no self-criticism: "Let's not start with doubts, many things have been done well"

They have played a good game, the field is no excuse, they have their conditions and we have to adapt . The first goal put us in tow and it is difficult against a line of five locked up, even so we have had options but the ball has not entered and we have to be more effective", he sentenced.

1 hour ago, deadasdillinger said:

Indeed. My wee boy is W6 D1 L1 following Scotland. Unheard of!

1 hour ago, AuldReekie said:

OK. Back to the highlights...

Absolutely.

My wee boy's first game was Denmark. Since then been to Ireland, Cyprus and last night. He's 4-0 and strolled out of Hampden last night begging me to take him to Germany!

It's going to be a tough come down for these lads at some point in the future!

It makes a difference when you have players that are so comfortable on the ball. The likes of Robertson, KT, McGregor pulling the strings, Gilmour, McGinn, McPerfect , even Porteous, all comfortable keeping possession in tight areas instead of hoofing it up to a very effective target man.

Spain were clearly rattled, never seen a team dive and whinge so much , maybe a bit biased but I don't think we were even that physical or dirty . Robertson's kid on hard man routine nearly got us into bother. 

The result will go down in history as one of our best since the turn of the millennium anyway, not as good as the France double header but pushing to get into the top 5.

A lot of work to do and nothing has been achieved yet but it's a brilliant feeling to get off to a flyer and our direct rival in the group doing a Scotland. 

Angus Gunn looks a very capable replacement too. Good handling last night in what looked like tricky conditions.