Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

If it had gone to VAR he would have been off. If the ref had sent him off, it wouldn’t have been rescinded. It was stupid at best by Robertson, but it’s more a commentary on VAR than the seriousness or otherwise of his actions. 

VAR sees everything.  The fact it wasn't officially reviewed tells you everything that you need to know.  It was ill-advised, but comes absolutely nowhere remotely near violent conduct.  Robertson made no contact with the player's face, so brutality/excessive force would need to be shown (face is non-negligible force).

I'm quite comfortable that VAR would have got involved if a red was shown.  There's zero evidence of VC in any clip or replay shown.

Overall, the referee(s) kept good control of the game.  Not sure I can remember a team making so many unnecessary fouls in our last third of the game, giving us every opportunity to slow it down.  Spain completely lost the head and their game management was woeful - Joselu's first half histrionics perfectly encapsulated their attitude.

1 minute ago, Antiochas III said:

The full 90+ minutes goes to VAR.  And Porro was down long enough VAR didn't even have to stop play for it.

I’ll rephrase. I’m surprised the referee wasn’t asked to review it. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

They had chances in the first half but I was on here before the final whistle saying it was in the bag. Spain had absolutely no idea how to get through our backline. We could still be playing now and it'd be 2-0.

Nah, we'd have scored again. McSauce is overdue.

3 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

We just need to maintain the performance in the next window, poor results against Norway & Georgia would negate the fantastic result last night. That said, I don’t think I’ve ever had the confidence that I do with this set of players. 

Just a shame it's in our cursed month of June. 

56 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Surprised to look through the thread and see people criticising Robertson for the card. He has a tendency to be a shithouse in a bad way getting into bother needlessly rather than towing the right line of rattling opponents and I couldn't see what happened at the time so I did wonder, but seeing a replay back thinking there's even a question of a red card there is entirely the product of overanalysing slow motion.

Watch it in real time. It's a nudge of his lower arm into Porro's chest, the kind of thing that happens dozens of times a game when a throw is about to be taken. Porro then lowers his face after Robertson has nudged him, still gets no contact with it, and flings himself down. There's no motion towards the face from Robertson whatsoever.

If VAR was allowed to intervene for bookable offences as opposed to checking if something is a red the only possible outcome there would have been a freekick to Scotland and yellow for simulation. It isn't so their throw in stood and Robertson got a booking for dissent for getting at the ref asking why the obvious dive was going unpunished.

Ball wasn't in play so it wouldn't have been a free kick to Scotland in any circumstances. If Porro had taken a Samurai sword and beheaded him we wouldn't have got a free kick.

33 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

lets be honest if he did that in SPFL and it went to VAR he'd be off. Not because it was a red card offence but the refs are absolutely hopeless.

Thankfully the refs last night had some common sense.

What for? 

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Just a shame it's in our cursed month of June. 

I was just thinking that.  Aren't our results post-season always utter horseshit?

Edited by TheScarf

I was fairly comfortable watching it second half. This isn’t the Spain of 2010 and it’s not Scotland under Craig Levein here. Think Spain were pretty poor and got almost no lucky breaks whatsoever, they would play some good passes and then misplace a pass off the pitch or straight to a Scotland defender, it would have been a very frustrating night for them and that’s largely down to Scotland being so well set up. 

Scotland had the better chances, apart from Spain hitting the bar which the keeper had covered anyway the Christie chance was pretty wasteful, dykes should have shot earlier and Mcgregor had an easier pass on for Mctominay in the 95 th minute to make the score line reflect just how good a win it was.

At the risk of being carried away off the back of one god result I think Scotland are now the third best team in Europe behind France/England and slightly ahead of Portugal. 

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That just shows a lack of awareness of how VAR works.

They dont send the ref over unless they are absolutely convinced he has made an error. Its not a case of "hmmm, its maybe a bit naughty, best go have a conflab".

The VAR obviously didnt think it was a red and neither did the referee on the pitch. Might have something to do with it being nowhere near enough for a red card.

Genuinely surprised that anyone thought Robertson's shoulder barge warranted a red card tbh. It was nothing like an elbow that some are claiming, he never hit the guy in the face (like that muppet was claiming) and if a shoulder barge is deemed dangerous play then the game is fucked. The most you can say was he brushed the guy's chin and that it was needless. But shitting them up clearly worked. 

I'd have been furious if he was sent off for that and similarly if it was the other way around I'd be embarrassed asking for a red. 

Screenshot_20230329-095316.png

Screenshot_20230329-095334.png

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was fairly comfortable watching it second half. This isn’t the Spain of 2010 and it’s not Scotland under Craig Levein here. Think Spain were pretty poor and got almost no lucky breaks whatsoever, they would play some good passes and then misplace a pass off the pitch or straight to a Scotland defender, it would have been a very frustrating night for them and that’s largely down to Scotland being so well set up. 

Scotland had the better chances, apart from Spain hitting the bar which the keeper had covered anyway the Christie chance was pretty wasteful, dykes should have shot earlier and Mcgregor had an easier pass on for Mctominay in the 95 th minute to make the score line reflect just how good a win it was.

At the risk of being carried away off the back of one god result I think Scotland are now the third best team in Europe behind France/England and slightly ahead of Portugal. 

I thought Spain looked a little more threatening when Williams came on, as he actually tried to do be a little more direct but absolutely nothing really came off for him and the bulk of their side just absolutely lost their heads.

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

There was nothing to review. There was nothing there that could have been a sending off. VAR clearly looked at it and saw that was the case. There was very little difference between what Robertson did and other incidents last night, like Porteous pushing the guy in the back when going to take a throw in. The only difference was Porro simulating meaningful contact with his face and rolling around for a couple of minutes. 

Edited by SpoonTon

June results since 2000 (Competitive games only)

7/6/2003 1-1 vs Germany (H)
4/6/2005 2-0 vs Moldova (H)
7/6/2005 0-0 vs Belarus (A)
6/6/2007 2-0 vs Faroes (A)
7/6/2013 1-0 vs Croatia (A)
13/6/2015 1-1 vs Republic of Ireland (A)
10/6/2017 2-2 vs England (H)
8/6/2019 2-1 vs Cyprus (H)

so far so good, then...

11/6/2019 0-3 vs Belgium (A)
14/6/2021 0-2 vs Czechia (H)
18/6/2021 0-0 vs England (A)
22/6/2021 1-3 vs Croatia (H)
1/6/2022 1-3 vs Ukraine (H)
8/6/2022 2-0 vs Armenia (H)
11/6/2022 0-3 vs Republic of Ireland (A)
14/6/2022 4-1 vs Armenia (A)

5 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I thought Spain looked a little more threatening when Williams came on, as he actually tried to do be a little more direct but absolutely nothing really came off for him and the bulk of their side just absolutely lost their heads.

He was fast and looked threatening but his touch was pretty heavy and getting him on the ball didn’t ever amount to anything. It just wasn’t their night. They will definitely take Scotland more seriously out there but think we can sneak something out there as well.