Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Take the Rodri comments as a compliment, tbh. One of the best CMs on the planet absolutely fucking rattled. If hes like Guardiola that means when he calms down he knows he'll respects what you done to him, its when the patronising "a really good team who play well" comes out you take offence.

The Norway result in Georgia, and our win over the top seeds, kind of feels like the reverse of what usually happens to us. So nice to be on this side of the coin. Tough games to come but win our remaining home games now + Cyprus again and would be hard for Georgia or Norway to overcome that tally.

Agreed.  It very much felt like that horrific Euro 2016 campaign with Germany, Poland, South Ireland in our group, with the Irish taking 4 points off Germany.  But in our favour this time.  I think Poland beat them too?

I’m not sure I agree that it was as comfortable as some are making it out to be, but we absolutely deserved to win that last night.

3 free headers in the first half could’ve undone us but after that wobble we settled exceptionally and the second half was a classic example of shutting down the opposition.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'd never heard of the Spanish coach or even half their players (of the starters only Kepa, Porro, Garcia, Rodri, Cebellos and Joselu really registered) so assumed there were huge injury issues. To read that he made 8 changes from the weekend, when we are the second seeds and it was played at a venue some big teams have struggled at in the past was just bizzare. 

On the game itself, it was great to see everyone know their job and do it well. McTominay was disciplined without the ball but made two great runs to get his goals (for the second in particular, Cebellos just let him ghost past him on half way; emblematic of bigger issues in their squad I think), Dykes was superb in closing down Rodri, Christie and McGinn pushed past Dykes to press the centre backs. Porteous was superb, Gunn did everything that was asked of him (which wasn't much) and having Tierney as an overlapping centre back suits us perfectly. Just glad we don't have any triple headers now after the Covid times as I'm not sure how much any of them will have left in the tank after that. 

Finally Rodri - what a dick. I appreciate he was the captain and probably one of the few who are fluent in English so was wheeled out in front of the press but what a manchild. Its not as if Spain were playing nice football, created hundreds of chances and weren't going down like a tonne of  bricks at every opportunity. Like I say, what a dick.

As more and more Spanish forward players kept calling off injured in the run up to this game (Pedri, Olmo, Gil) and then the likes of Gavi was on the bench, I was getting more confident about our chances. When we scored early you wondered if Spain would come back and they had a few chances but I was never really that concerned that Spain were going to outclass us. 

That Dykes run and chip at the end of the first half would have been a thing of beauty if he had scored. I was in the East Stand so I got a good close up view of the first McTominay goal too. Second one I’ll need to watch the highlights to see what happened.

That was a great game to be at and I’m looking forward to the next games. Only concern for those ones is the timing after our performance against Ireland last June.

Edited by Scary Bear

40 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Same here. It was only when it got to 95 minutes on the clock that I felt the game was over, even though anyone looking at it as a neutral observer would have seen that Spain had run out of ideas at least 15 minutes before that. 

I was the same, even at 85 mins I looked at the clock and thought “there’s still time for a comeback from them”.

I should have had more faith in our excellent defence but tbh, it was more due to experience from past games than because of the game that was actually happening. 

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not sure I agree that it was as comfortable as some are making it out to be, but we absolutely deserved to win that last night.

3 free headers in the first half could’ve undone us but after that wobble we settled exceptionally and the second half was a classic example of shutting down the opposition.

I get what you are saying but if you take the game as a whole we deserved to win comfortably.

You could easily turn it around and say it was game over if Dykes had finished just before halftime.

"We want to go for duels, for battles - we always fight, but this is not about fighting."

Possibly the least accurate analysis I've seen in a while.

3 hours ago, Pie on a Roll said:

Half cut and just watched that 2nd goal on repeat about 15 times ,Tierney is fucking immense, i hope he stays on the Arsenal bench, injuries not withstanding, it would be amazing if we get another 10 years out the lad. 

I might've miscounted, but I think he's reached 37 caps quicker than Robertson did. There are obviously concerns with injuries and durability, but he's got a chance of reaching a very healthy number of caps which would've been a laughable thought three or four years ago. So would the idea that he'd eventually enjoy international football much more than club football. 

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

They had chances in the first half but I was on here before the final whistle saying it was in the bag. Spain had absolutely no idea how to get through our backline. We could still be playing now and it'd be 2-0. 

If that the other way round last night I'd be saying "we're never scoring tonight". It goes to show the faith I have in that defence that I felt comfortable saying "Spain aren't scoring here". 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Same here. It was only when it got to 95 minutes on the clock that I felt the game was over, even though anyone looking at it as a neutral observer would have seen that Spain had run out of ideas at least 15 minutes before that. 

It's the decades of emotional pain, trauma and angst that goes with being Scottish.  When the second goes in I'm saying to my son ... we might get a draw here ...

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

They had chances in the first half but I was on here before the final whistle saying it was in the bag. Spain had absolutely no idea how to get through our backline. We could still be playing now and it'd be 2-0. 

If that the other way round last night I'd be saying "we're never scoring tonight". It goes to show the faith I have in that defence that I felt comfortable saying "Spain aren't scoring here". 

I’m still surprised Roberson didn’t get sent off by the VAR.  Would have changed things completely.   As things were, it could and perhaps should have been 3-0 with the chance right at the very end.  Not entirely sure why Spain rested half their team - I’d imagine the Spanish newspapers will be on the verge of tears this morning.  Smashing stuff.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’d imagine the Spanish newspapers will be on the verge of tears this morning.  Smashing stuff.

'Futbol de verano por favor' on Tapas and Gazpacho.

Edited by sparky88

8 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Ref and VAR bottled it. Robertson should have been off. Absolute dumpling thing tae dae..

He got away with one. Quiet word needed...He is the captain ffs.

You're going to have to explain this one, why should he have been sent off?

If the slight nudge on Porro with his arms down should've been a red then VAR would've 100% sent him off, he was only booked because he was seething with the dive.