Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

Im not much of a fancy "underlying quantitative analysis of our elite xG output metrics" type, but the way we defended the space throughout was unbelievable. Granted Spain were moving it about a lot but Gunn had hardly anything to do; to stop Spain from carving open any gaps takes a hell of a lot of work, focus and intelligent pressing, and that Scotland team did it for about 99% of that match which is immense. Fair fucks to Porteous, Hickey, Christie, McGinn, Mctominay, Hanley... all of them.

A kind of Inter vs. Barcelona vibe to tonight, which sorta fits given Clarke was Mourinhos assistant for a while.

6 hours ago, Binos said:

I'll give you France 89 as we qualified

But we didn't qualify from 06/07 campaign and was at both games, great nights but didn't get there

Well then it’s fair to say we don’t know yet how big last night was.

47 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

"Scott McTominay...

I'll love you till my heart aches

He loves the Tartan Army

He turned the English dow-ow-ow-own"

That but ‘Scott McTominay’ is at the end. 

What a night.  Absolutely fuckin outstanding team performance.

As someone else said big Porto would throw himself in front of a train for Scotland.  Can’t wait to see him walking off the pitch in Oslo with that shite Norwegian haircut poking out his back pocket. 

I'd never heard of the Spanish coach or even half their players (of the starters only Kepa, Porro, Garcia, Rodri, Cebellos and Joselu really registered) so assumed there were huge injury issues. To read that he made 8 changes from the weekend, when we are the second seeds and it was played at a venue some big teams have struggled at in the past was just bizzare. 

On the game itself, it was great to see everyone know their job and do it well. McTominay was disciplined without the ball but made two great runs to get his goals (for the second in particular, Cebellos just let him ghost past him on half way; emblematic of bigger issues in their squad I think), Dykes was superb in closing down Rodri, Christie and McGinn pushed past Dykes to press the centre backs. Porteous was superb, Gunn did everything that was asked of him (which wasn't much) and having Tierney as an overlapping centre back suits us perfectly. Just glad we don't have any triple headers now after the Covid times as I'm not sure how much any of them will have left in the tank after that. 

Finally Rodri - what a dick. I appreciate he was the captain and probably one of the few who are fluent in English so was wheeled out in front of the press but what a manchild. Its not as if Spain were playing nice football, created hundreds of chances and weren't going down like a tonne of  bricks at every opportunity. Like I say, what a dick.

Just watched the BBC Scotland news bulletin. Both Sarah McMullen and Gillian smart sporting their porteous green outfits in honour of last night's performance. Sarah with a massive grin on her face as she's reading out the report! 

8 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I didn’t start to feel relaxed tonight until it was almost physically impossible for Spain to score two goals in the time that was left.

Same here. It was only when it got to 95 minutes on the clock that I felt the game was over, even though anyone looking at it as a neutral observer would have seen that Spain had run out of ideas at least 15 minutes before that. 

Take the Rodri comments as a compliment, tbh. One of the best CMs on the planet absolutely fucking rattled. If hes like Guardiola that means when he calms down he knows he'll respects what you done to him, its when the patronising "a really good team who play well" comes out you take offence.

The Norway result in Georgia, and our win over the top seeds, kind of feels like the reverse of what usually happens to us. So nice to be on this side of the coin. Tough games to come but win our remaining home games now + Cyprus again and would be hard for Georgia or Norway to overcome that tally.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Take the Rodri comments as a compliment, tbh. One of the best CMs on the planet absolutely fucking rattled. If hes like Guardiola that means when he calms down he knows he'll respects what you done to him, its when the patronising "a really good team who play well" comes out you take offence.

You mean like this?

3B62AA7B-A6D2-499B-A34C-54F37DB65490.thumb.png.95143752adbf2ef3f35f828658103299.png

CC892FA9-0EB7-4D5C-AC06-17C4C672F0D2.thumb.jpeg.9e2cbd7446e5dc8569423639b3ae0202.jpeg

Edited by Dons_1988

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

This all day. Domestically, I get no greater satisfaction from other teams and managers this season basically saying that St. Mirren are a b*****d to play against and I get the same feeling watching genuinely world class players say the same thing about Scotland.

We'll never be Brazil in terms of flowing football but I'd argue that comfortably worse teams than us have gathered considerable success in recent years playing to their strengths and understanding their limitations so it's fucking brilliant to see that we're a team with an identity and a purpose.

6 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I'm 60 years old, had my bedroom festooned in Scotland posters in 1974, was psychological damaged in 1978 and have lived through decades of disappointment. Costa Rica, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, I've endured the lot.

I truly never thought I would feel this way about a Scotland team again.

Fück

King

Hell

We all got carried away with the euphoria of 78 and were mentally scarred for years afterwards, but, c’mon, what could possibly go wrong this time?

7 hours ago, Tom Strangely Black said:

That's almost spoiled the whole night 😠

Got the munchies after too many match beers, and nothing delivering at this time of night. Please tell me it ain't a Blue Lagoon... 😢

Pizza Crola, not many rings up the ladder from the BL mind. Last night it tasted mighty fine after a few beers pre and post match.