Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

El Pais

It was the poor pitch and two "accidents" that done for them according to their coach.

https://elpais.com/deportes/2023-03-28/de-la-fuente-sigo-convencido-de-que-este-es-el-camino.html

Good deflection coach...but the reality is that your team are a pale comparison to the Spain teams of recent years. All fart and nae jobby.

Scotland can get a result in the away leg as well. 

21 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The thing I didn't get with the Robertson yellow card was that the ref waited for Porro to get up before he showed Andy the yellow card, which took about five minutes. 

VAR isn't allowed to suggest yellow cards, only red, so why wasn't Robertson booked straight away if that's what the ref thought it was, and then it's a check to see if it should be a red instead? 

I suppose there is the very outside chance of Robertson having talked himself into a card but that seems very much to me like VAR has made a decision it's not supposed to. 

Ref and VAR bottled it. Robertson should have been off. Absolute dumpling thing tae dae..

He got away with one. Quiet word needed...He is the captain ffs.

9 minutes ago, velo army said:

As the only person on this forum who listened to the radio, let me clear this up.

Robbo's yellow wasn't for any altercation with the player, but was for dissent. he said something to the ref in the aftermath and got booked for it.

Credit to Liam McLeod for that one.

I think this is highly unlikely to be the case.

That was great. Saying to my mates with about 20 minutes to go it was clearly in the bag, Spain were absolutey bobbins and could be playing now on an otherwise empty park, stringing 9,000 passes together without any shots on target.

I've never felt so comfortable rinsing a supposed tier 1 team. That Scotland midfield is so good.

Fully deserved win tonight for Scotland against the Spanish formation diving team. Scott McTominay taking up where he left off in his two goal cameo against Cyprus, striding box to box like Michael Ballack in his prime, and nonchalantly chalking up another couple of goals. To think we‘ve wasted him in central defence for most of his Scotland career to date. Porteous has taken to international football luck a duck to water. No failures in the Scottish team tonight though. We’re slowly but surely becoming a force to be reckoned with after far too many years in the international wilderness.

That was great. After the second went in they completely lost their shit. The more rattled they got, the funnier our gamesmanship got. Hickey rolling back onto the pitch was a belter. 

It's not like they weren't up to shenanigans. Just not as good at it as us. 

And we played some good stuff when we kept the ball. 

Lovely 

We were comfortably the better team from start to finish there. It's easy to say with hindsight, but we were never in any danger of failing to win that. Even late in the first half when there was maybe a feeling of being rattled and as a fan you naturally feel nervous about the opposition dominating possession, what did they actually create? One cross in a move which started with pretty much the only defensive error from a Scotland player all night.

They had absolutely no clue how to play through us, meanwhile we created another two excellent chances and two half chances. It wouldn't remotely have flattered us to win that by more.

That puts to bed the already weak notion that the Denmark win only happened because they'd already qualified: we are simply good enough to beat teams of this calibre and deserve to do so. The challenge now is consistency and not throwing away the advantage we've built ourselves here, but Norway and Georgia will be shitting themselves after that.

Absolutely up there as one of the best games I’ve been to.

I fucking love this squad, they have all been brilliant. I do owe an apology to Kenny McLean, because I was very rude about him being subbed on but he didn’t put a foot wrong, and also Ryan Porteous whom I always considered a Neddy wee Hibs dick, but who is in fact the successor to Maldini. Tremendous stuff.

Can’t believe anyone could moan about Clarke’s contract being extended. He’s a fucking God.

Absolutely Glorious! First half seemed to last about 3 hours but we managed to ride out the sticky spell and were in pretty much control second half. Probably the best Scotland performance I have seen in 38 years. Absolutely no failures. Atmosphere looked electric. Glad I got tickets for the Georgia game a few weeks ago as I reckon they will be all gone by tomorrow.