Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

10 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Is it just us for whom winning is as emotionally draining as losing?

For the Parc Des Princes game I spent the entire game after the goal desperately clinging to a puggy machine in an attempt to stop my remaining life force slipping away.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the second goal tonight is the best goal scored in the history of football.

3 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

O K. 

A slight touch of pessimism  I mean realism

The return game , is Gran Canaria where they took us after we beat them 3 - 1 at Hampden many years ago ?

So, like us playing on Arran?

That was sensational. The '84 match is one of my earliest memories of watching Scotland and over the last 10-20 years nights like that have seemed miles away. 

Not a single failure on the pitch, be that in terms of work rate, attitude or performance. Some of these guys are playing above themselves for Scotland, but a lot of them are either genuinely top class players or are likely to reach that level. 

Good times. 

7 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Not having that there was any amount of luck involved in that result. We were the better team from start to finish and deserved everything we got. 

Wottevah! :)

Edited by cyderspaceman

Alex McLeish did two things that are now paying off massively. Convincing Scott McTominay he's Scottish and make Robertson captain.

We have so many guys who are or were club captains in our squad (Porteous, Hanley, McGregor, Cooper, Gordon, McGinn, Jack, Kelly) and guys like Tierney and McTominay who have those leadership qualities as well.

Big potential for clashing egos but putting the captaincy on the guy who would go on to win the champions league was a master stroke to keep any egos at bay.

Edited by Jacky1990

17 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Is it just us for whom winning is as emotionally draining as losing?

I didn’t start to feel relaxed tonight until it was almost physically impossible for Spain to score two goals in the time that was left.

Norway are an absolute gang. Behind Odegaard they have absolutely nothing. We'll pump them. Georgia will be the dark horses in this group and will take points off unsuspecting sides.

Spain are an young side whose immaturity we exploited. We're winning this group and this is an era defining result.

I'm laughing at how pissed off I was at the Cyprus performance.

McGregor is my favourite ever played not named Zidane or Klinsmann. f**k it, I like him better than Klismann.

When McTam scores we win. Nap.

9 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

O K. 

A slight touch of pessimism  I mean realism

The return game , is Gran Canaria where they took us after we beat them 3 - 1 at Hampden many years ago ?

The spirit of 78 was that that we were utterly invincible. Let’s just enjoy the moment. 

Just now, eez-eh said:

I didn’t start to feel relaxed tonight until it was almost physically impossible for Spain to score two goals in the time that was left.

Even when it was going into stoppage time the nerves were still there for me, just because having watched Scotland all these years you come to expect something to happen where we snatch a defeat, or draw, from the jaws of victory.  Not tonight though.

That was a Steve Clarke tactical masterclass, fully justified bringing in McTominay and Christie after the Saturday game.  The whole team rewarded him though.  One of the best nights watching Scotland in a long, long time, may even just about eclipse that night in Paris.

I said it at half time and will repeat, Porteous was outstanding, his composure levels were incredible, he didn't get involved, too much, in any of the silly stuff and him, Hanley and Tierney felt like the defensive line-up we've needed.

Obviously way too early to get carried away, but at least we can celebrate that rare occurence, a perfect start to a qualifying campaign, no goals conceded and two different but good performances.