Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

If we had any bald players then I would've posted a really funny reply along the lines of "Damn, X will be a big miss for us." Sadly, I can't think of any genuinely baldy Scotland players since Naismith (Dykes doesn't count and Porteous is trying to fight against it). 

Scott Brown?

Wasn't fully focused watching the Spain game on Saturday night, but they're typical of a lot of modern elite sides in that they'll stay quite wide in buildup, typically with a sole DM but one of the other midfielders sometimes joining Rodri, but flood the central area once it's progressed while keeping extreme width through either wingers or the full-backs. Laporte and Nacho played plenty of switches to use that width too. 

The back five will at least let us match up in the last line and hopefully Hickey and Robertson can get out a bit quicker to those switches, but there's always the concern with a back five that the opposition pins your WB and you can't engage. Especially bad in a 5-3-2, although that would in theory match up with Spain, but can still be an issue in a 3-4-3/5-4-1. 

Gonna be a long night, but with the right shape, mentality and some luck, we've proven that we can get results against bigger teams. 

23 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I'm weirdly optimistic about tonight. The weather, the crowd, the pitch and Spain having a couple of key players out. 2-1 Scotland. 

I’m loving your optimism, but, I raise your 2-1 to a 3-0 Scotland. We have waited so long for an emphatic win against a “power nation” and the stars are aligning. Yep, I have been drinking. Since midday. Bookmark the shit out of me. I won’t remember this post in the morning.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

I too have a wee sneaky feeling. I'm not feeling the usual cocktail of fear/anxiety here. Certainly not as I did when the draw was made. 

Don't show this mob too much respect. If everyone does their job I think a full Hampden can push us on to a tight win here. 

I think the Georgia score tonight could be more important for us than our own. I reckon we'll lose and Spain will take full points in the group. If Georgia take anything tonight it puts us in such a strong position.

Obviously though I'm praying we get something against Spain. 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I think the Georgia score tonight could be more important for us than our own. I reckon we'll lose and Spain will take full points in the group. If Georgia take anything tonight it puts us in such a strong position.

Obviously though I'm praying we get something against Spain. 

If Georgia win, and we win, I will be in full "we're winning the whole fucking thing" mode

It’s rare that a team goes through a qualifying campaign with a clean sweep. Out of ~10 or so groups in a campaign you’ll see it once, maybe twice at a push. Sometimes it doesn’t happen at all.

We need to get out the mindset of assuming that our top seed will take maximum points.