Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

18 minutes ago, Binos said:

It sums us up

It was an error but from a player who lacked genuine quality 

McManus and Caldwell were decent for us although it was Weir who partnered McManus that night.

I don't think you could assess any Scotland centre half to be of genuine quality all the way back to perhaps Willie Miller (and I would include Hendry in that). 

Scotland: McGregor, Bardsley, McManus, Weir, Whittaker, Dorrans (Mackie 81), Darren Fletcher, McCulloch (Adam 46), Morrison (Maloney 87), Naismith, Miller.
Subs Not Used: Gordon, Caldwell, Berra, Steven Fletcher.

Edited by KingRocketman II
added line-up

24 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

McManus and Caldwell were decent for us although it was Weir who partnered McManus that night.

I don't think you could assess any Scotland centre half to be of genuine quality all the way back to perhaps Willie Miller (and I would include Hendry in that). 

Scotland: McGregor, Bardsley, McManus, Weir, Whittaker, Dorrans (Mackie 81), Darren Fletcher, McCulloch (Adam 46), Morrison (Maloney 87), Naismith, Miller.

Replace genuine for any

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Jack’s only 27, he’s still got time on his side.

On 25/03/2023 at 18:27, jagfox said:

A look back at that game in 1984 Vs Spain. Played at a right pace throughout and Scotland deserved victors. 

I had that Scotland strip, loved it.  What a selection of players too.

Even more impressive a result when you consider that that Spain side were European Championship runners-up  only 5 months previous.

You realise how much we underperformed at tournaments in the 1970’s and 80’s with the players available. 
Not talking about winning them or anything daft, but should definitely have at least got through the group stages once or twice. 

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

They lifted the tempo when they came on.  They're just naturally more positive and high tempo than Jack and Armstrong (who I believe only started due to the lesser quality of opponent).  Christie must be a fucking hoor to play against.  Proper Duracell bunny of a player.  His tenacity made the second goal.

Not sure they affected the tempo as much as Cyprus made it easier for us to attack them by pushing men forward. 

They'd sat in until into the second half, so when Christie and McTominay came on they had the space that Armstrong and Jack had to scrap for. 

Having said that any of that 4 would be fine for me in the starting lineup. 

On 26/03/2023 at 16:36, Lex said:

Wouldn’t be overly surprised if we got something here. 
Our tatty field of a pitch will certainly help us, can’t imagine many of the Spanish superstars will have much experience of playing on a midden like that. Good, let’s use it to our advantage.

Oh and please start McTominay instead of Ryan Jack, for goodness sake.

0-0

Of Spain bring their “A game” they will obviously win very comfortably. 
But for these big stars , Scotland away in March might be the International equivalent of “a rainy Tuesday in Stoke”

A tattie field of a pitch, a partisan crowd roaring every tackle like a goal, hopefully some good Scottish weather ( I am hoping for freezing cold sideways rain)

Some of their prima donnas may not fancy it. In those circumstances, we can definitely get something, especially if we can keep it tight for a long period of time and they start to get frustrated and run out of ideas. 

3-0 Spain. 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

2-1 Scotland. Forecast is for rain and that pitch won’t hold up. It’s happening! McTominay hat-trick.

Get the sprinklers on just in case so it is an absolute quagmire by kick off. 

See if they can play tika- taka in ankle deep mud!

Gunn

Porteous   Hanley    Tierney 

Hickey                              Robertson 

Gilmour   McGregor  McTominay

McGinn 

Dykes

Is a half decent side. I'd obviously like better than Hanley and Porteous but you can only piss with what Clarke calls up.

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

Think Mctominay,christie and Dykes will be in tonight. Same back 3/5 with Mcginn playing deeper and christie off Dykes.

Got a feeling we will either shitfest a beautiful 1-0 win or get pumped 4-0. nothing inbetween!

I think you’re spot on with the changes.

Huge night for big Daddy Dykes. Adams will be a big miss but there’s a chance that Dykes may be able to unsettle their defenders in a fashion that Adams couldn’t. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

I think you’re spot on with the changes.

Huge night for big Daddy Dykes. Adams will be a big miss but there’s a chance that Dykes may be able to unsettle their defenders in a fashion that Adams couldn’t. 

This is what I am hoping tbf. Dykes is probably a bit different to the normal technical forwards they are up against each week and that’s maybe not a bad thing. 

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Twitter saying that Balde is out…

If we had any bald players then I would've posted a really funny reply along the lines of "Damn, X will be a big miss for us." Sadly, I can't think of any genuinely baldy Scotland players since Naismith (Dykes doesn't count and Porteous is trying to fight against it). 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

If we had any bald players then I would've posted a really funny reply along the lines of "Damn, X will be a big miss for us." Sadly, I can't think of any genuinely baldy Scotland players since Naismith (Dykes doesn't count and Porteous is trying to fight against it). 

Thankfully rules out (35y/o!) Garry Kenneth.