Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

You are nothing but a bigot and not welcome at Scotland games. Do us all a favour and keep your sectarian shite to yourself. 

I suspect he was going for glib humour and - as usual - wildly missing the mark.

4 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I see Jack is again coming up and being a big theme in the thread. I posted this in the Cypus game thread and will post it here again as I think it’s relevant; With the punchline that  everyone who is there on Tuesday, the main thing is we all get behind whatever team is out on the park! 

Some context first, i’m 31 and  been at almost every home game for 20 years. I support Raith Rovers and follow them home and away. Was at the game yesterday and am buzzing for Spain! 

I think Jack is a good asset for Scotland. But yesterday he had a poor game and, not his fault, was a wrong pick. We didn’t need a player like him. We needed a McTominay type who likes to break and is a threat for a goal against a side that is set up for a 0-0. This seems to have been Vindicated by his goals. 

I think folks get annoyed in games like that with players that are picked who are, from the tartan army view (me included), a bit too negative a player for the opposition. Too much respect shown and all that (e.g. Gogic, who is in comparison to the majority of our players, fucking dross, was made to look excellent yesterday by our lack of press). So Jack gets some ire,  but it’s also aimed at him by default. E.g. at bedrock, the majority of the ire is at his selection, not him.

Of course there is some dandies who just hate him, too. And ideally they would just refrain from making that known when at hampden. But I do have a sliver of sympathy - as a non old firm fan who thinks both cheeks are a disgrace, and that association with those clubs and their out right bigotry entails complicit bigotry, then I see the frustration when a local lad chooses the dark side. But when Scotland play, we need to get behind the 11 in blue. 

Anyway, that’s my view as a ‘diddy’ fan! Cannot wait for Tuesday!!

He was too defensive a pick for yesterday, but maybe important with Tuesday in mind to get him back into the team and playing alongside mcgregor? That was the only reason I could see him picked over ferguson or mctominay yesterday.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

If your talking a first pick side i wouldn't have jack in it at all. Hes always done well for Scotland but he's not on top form and in and out of his club side.

Most of the squad aren't getting decent game time which has it's own problems, the game isn't about the first eleven any more M8.
Spain are a squad in transition and still developing for me it's a good time to play them,Clarke is ahead in that regard.

3 hours ago, Binos said:

We've been caught out 2 or 3 times before playing a back 5 to fit Robertson and Tierney, when coming up against a side, like the Spanish,  who will flood centre midfield with 5 narrow 

And we can't get near the ball

A 4231 for me to match up

When have we been caught out playing a five when they’ve both played?

Can think of a few times when we’ve not performed when one has been missing but not when they’ve both been there (aside from Croatia, although I don’t think that was completely down to having a back 5).

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

When have we been caught out playing a five when they’ve both played?

Can think of a few times when we’ve not performed when one has been missing but not when they’ve both been there (aside from Croatia, although I don’t think that was completely down to having a back 5).

Croatia,  Czech,  Ukraine 

Big games 

In at least one of those games we played a 532 even though Tierney wasn't available 

The point is we play a formation knowing we will be overwhelmed in midfield,  a 3 v 5 in there,  then are surprised when it happens 

23 minutes ago, Binos said:

Big games 

In at least one of those games we played a 532 even though Tierney wasn't available 

The point is we play a formation knowing we will be overwhelmed in midfield,  a 3 v 5 in there,  then are surprised when it happens 

That’s only once that we’ve played a five to accommodate both of them and been caught out then.

I’m not against switching it up if one or both are missing but if they’re both available, we have to play a back five.

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That’s only once that we’ve played a five to accommodate both of them and been caught out then.

I’m not against switching it up if one or both are missing but if they’re both available, we have to play a back five.

Well we're about to,  we telegraph it

As they telegraph they'll play 5 narrow and try and suffocate the middle of the park 

At least won't play two up front as we can't now adams injured 

But both Croatia and Ukraine played 2 attacking midfielders high in the space in front of our three centre halfs and we couldn't get the ball 

36 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I recall watching the whole game on YouTube, Bett was superb that night

Yeah, he seemed to have had a great game, on the highlights alone. Was a class player on his day.

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Big games 

Tierney missed two of those games 

12 hours ago, Binos said:

Well we're about to,  we telegraph it

As they telegraph they'll play 5 narrow and try and suffocate the middle of the park 

At least won't play two up front as we can't now adams injured 

But both Croatia and Ukraine played 2 attacking midfielders high in the space in front of our three centre halfs and we couldn't get the ball 

It's very simple you have a mindset of playing two 5-a-side teams, you sit a player in front of a back 4 with the mindset to defend with the full backs picking their times to break, the other 5 press the team off the ball out of possession, in possession the full backs time there runs supporting the other 5 in attack.

1 hour ago, Andershen said:

Is it possible to add tickets to apple wallet?

Not that I know of. The barcodes on the ticket always give me the absolute fear as they’re incredibly blurry but, touch wood, I’ve had no issues yet - aside from using the wrong ticket for the Ukraine Nations League game after a few shandy’s. 

18 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Would bring in Christie and McTominay for Jack and Armstrong. Not for one minute did they do anything wrong on saturday but they give more mobility which we will need, obviously Dykes aswel which is a given.

They lifted the tempo when they came on.  They're just naturally more positive and high tempo than Jack and Armstrong (who I believe only started due to the lesser quality of opponent).  Christie must be a fucking hoor to play against.  Proper Duracell bunny of a player.  His tenacity made the second goal.

Going back to the 2012 game, the error from McManus still pisses me to this day, basically bolted to the front post when it was an easy header to clear which would've got us a famous draw especially coming from behind.

Probably one of our only really good performances under Levein. Recall Charlie Adam being the best player on the park in the second half and that was up against Alonso, Busquets, Silva and Iniesta. 

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Going back to the 2012 game, the error from McManus still pisses me to this day, basically bolted to the front post when it was an easy header to clear which would've got us a famous draw especially coming from behind.

Probably one of our only really good performances under Levein. Recall Charlie Adam being the best player on the park in the second half and that was up against Alonso, Busquets, Silva and Iniesta. 

It sums us up

It was an error but from a player who lacked genuine quality