Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

I understand the thought process of 'Playing Spain = more defensive = back five' but I am worried that we could see a repeat of Croatia or the Ukraine play-off where a well-coached technical side run rings around a stretched Scotland midfield. You even saw it at points today with Cyprus occasionally picking up space outside of Jack and McGregor. I don't expect us to go with a four but I hope Clarke has at least learned some lessons from those performances. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I understand the thought process of 'Playing Spain = more defensive = back five' but I am worried that we could see a repeat of Croatia or the Ukraine play-off where a well-coached technical side run rings around a stretched Scotland midfield. You even saw it at points today with Cyprus occasionally picking up space outside of Jack and McGregor. I don't expect us to go with a four but I hope Clarke has at least learned some lessons from those performances. 

The issue in those games wasn’t the back five. It was the front 2. 

22 minutes ago, jagfox said:

A look back at that game in 1984 Vs Spain. Played at a right pace throughout and Scotland deserved victors. 

I was behind goal at end Johnston scored and it was carnage. Place was going mental the whole game.

Clarke tended to play a front two for Killie in a lot of the games against bigger teams when he wanted to play more defensively. I think it was the same at West Brom and Reading.  Wouldn't hugely surprise me to see that with two of Dykes, Adams and McGinn playing as centre-forwards.

You saw it at Wembley too, when he picked Dykes and Adams and tried to keep their defence pushed back a bit, which worked well. It'll all be about being tight and compact and not giving them any space down the middle, no matter how we lined up.

7 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Im not watching it myself, but that isn't what the halftime stats are suggesting.

Spain have looked poor since they scored. No shame on Sorloth, who's done OK up front, but Norway playing like this was Haaland as well gives me the fear.

4 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

Spain have looked poor since they scored. No shame on Sorloth, who's done OK up front, but Norway playing like this was Haaland as well gives me the fear.

Agreed. On the flip side we should be taking at least a point from Spain on Tuesday if they play like this.

Norway have absolutely not been "all over" Spain. But they're in it and have had decent chances. Spain look exactly what you expect. Plenty of possession and pressure, look good on the ball but there is a flimsiness there that can be exploited.

3 minutes ago, the snudge said:

We could hurt Spain on Tuesday. I don't think they'd enjoy playing against Dykes. Sorloth is a big lad and Spain are really uncomfortable dealing with him.

Yeah, you'd hope the big man can do a similar job to Sorloth on Tuesday, minus the booking for dissent

Lyndon's booking should be for leaving something on Nacho or Carvahal, the pair of cheating b*****ds.