Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

2 hours ago, Swami said:

This, but Ferguson instead of Christie. I’d play Clark rather than Gunn as well but it won’t happen. Not delighted with Hanley still being our best option at centre-back but there we are. 

Yeah I think you're right with Mcginn off the striker 

That is a 541 at home against Cyprus 

But yes likely 

56 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Gunn 

Porteous.       Hanley.    Tierney

Hickey. McTominay.  McGregor Robertson

McGinn.          Ferguson.

Adams

I think it’ll be something like this as well

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Can someone explain this Stirling Albion patter?

I think for many on here the Scotland v Cyprus game is quite big/something to get excited about but the running joke being that you might think the Scotland game is big, but not as big as Stirling v Dumbarton which is also getting played today. 

Or something to that effect. Perhaps similar in tone to the flood of Yogi Hughes pics and memes that appear whenever a vacancy in football or politics arises.

My personal favourite of what I would consider to be like-minded patter, is when someone is on their holidays, say the Amalfi Coast, and accompany a pic with a statement along the lines of  "Saltcoats has changed quite a lot since I last visited"...

Edited by KingRocketman II
typo

Surprising not to see McTominay in there. I wonder if he’s injured as he didn’t take part in one of the training sessions earlier in the week.

UEFA have it as a 3-4-2-1 which has often been our formation but the personnel in there can be adaptable and switch to a 4-2-3-1 if it’s not working out. Robertson would go to the left wing if that happens. 

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Surprising not to see McTominay in there. I wonder if he’s injured as he didn’t take part in one of the training sessions earlier in the week.

UEFA have it as a 3-4-2-1 which has often been our formation but the personnel in there can be adaptable and switch to a 4-2-3-1 if it’s not working out. Robertson would go to the left wing if that happens. 

Would imagine McTominay will come in for the Spain game.  As may Dykes and Christie. 

Would also expect Hyam to come on at some point so he’s not going into the Spain game with no experience. 

Edited by Savage Henry

22 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Can someone explain this Stirling Albion patter?

While most games have been moved (to last night or later today), the Stirling v Dumbarton game (which is the top two in League Two) hasn't so kicks off at 3. This means that fans of both clubs can't go - or even see - both games. Fans of these clubs, quite rightly, see this as a big game and want to cheer on their team. It's unfortunate but it is what it is, and something lower league fans have had to put up with for years. A shame really as a great number of lower league fans also support the national team. They are offering their tickets to fans who weren't able to get their own, and in true P&B fashion, other folk have hilariously turned the tables by asking about the clash at Forthbank. 

Gunn

Porto Hanley Tierney 

Hickey Jack McGregor Robertson 

McGinn Adams Armstrong 

Something like that? Tried that in last game in Turkey, and away in Dublin?

Screenshot_20230325_125215_FotMob.thumb.jpg.19b541be70f24cb49925ff874ea84b03.jpg

Edited by jagfox

I'm guessing back four due to Armstrong's inclusion as he'll provide some width on the right which no one else would in that shape. McTominay might have played RCB too. Just a guess though and my other predictions weren't too great. 

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

I'm guessing back four due to Armstrong's inclusion as he'll provide some width on the right which no one else would in that shape. McTominay might have played RCB too. Just a guess though and my other predictions weren't too great. 

Could be.

At least we have the personnel on the bench to make significant changes if wanted/needed. So often in the past our First XI had a couple of ringers, and now there aren’t any in the squad.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Christie's an important player on and off the ball. Great presser and our best technical out-ball between the lines. The only way I don't see him playing is if Clarke goes with Dykes + Adams in a 3-5-2 (unlikely imo) or Robertson playing where he did in the 2nd half v Turkey (a possibility). 

I think you might be right about Hanley, but there's still a possibility that McTominay and Tierney don't start which I wouldn't say about the others. 

I was right about Christie but wrong about McTominay

How Ryan Jack is starting I’ll never know. Maybe McTominay is being saved for Spain.

Can you ever imagine Ryan Jack getting near game for Manchester United? 

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I thought with the inclusion of Tierney, Porteous and Hanley with Hickey and Robertson it was a stick on back 3/5 with the latter two as wing backs? Unless we’re trying something mad like Robertson at left wing

Ryan Jack has been good for Scotland in the past when he’s been fit. Did a great job that night in Serbia and was magnificent in the September triple header when half the squad was unavailable but we still managed to top our nations league group.

Just a shame that he’s had an injury hit career and missed the euros but he should always be in the squad for me when fit and I’ve no qualms about him being chosen to start competitive internationals. 

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

I thought with the inclusion of Tierney, Porteous and Hanley with Hickey and Robertson it was a stick on back 3/5 with the latter two as wing backs? Unless we’re trying something mad like Robertson at left wing

I think it’s probably a back three but a 4-2-3-1 with Robertson as a winger is something we’ve done before (second half in Diyarbakir) and I don’t think it’s as mad as you think. He’s a very attacking left back.