Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

Just now, NickMcG said:

Obviously happy with the result though I thought KT looked a little rusty at times and Armstrong is such a frustrating player as whatever he does never seems to quite come off. I imagine Christie, McTominay and Dykes (how badly is Adams injured?) will be starting against Spain.

If Adams is fit he'll start before Dykes. 

Christie v Armstrong is a toss up. They're very similar players. Not sure who'd be better to maintain possession as that'll be the key. 

McTominay should start but we'll be doing far more defending, so does he replace Jack or Mcgregor? 

3 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

It's far easier to play forward when the opposition are throwing bodies up the park instead of sitting in and defending with every player. 

To think you can compare the two is just nonsense. 

I can compare the two because Christie and McTominay are better than Jack and Armstrong. These are facts and it played out that way today too.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

I can compare the two because Christie and McTominay are better than Jack and Armstrong. These are facts and it played out that way today too.

No. That's your opinion, not fact. 

I think Christie and Armstrong are pretty similar. Whoever is better at keeping possession will get the nod. 

Against Spain we need our most solid midfield. McTominay is probably in that ahead of Jack or Mcgregor.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Jack and McTominay isn't really a contest but Christie and Armstrong are clearly very similar levels. Christie brings a bit more energy and Armstrong a bit more composure, I prefer Armstrong against weaker teams and Christie against stronger teams and think Clarke does too, expect Christie to start on Tuesday. 

Just now, Fratelli said:

Good interview from McGinn there. Always speaks like a normal person in comparison with a lot of footballers who often sound robotic.

Nice guy. Happy to have a word or a photo with fans. 

10 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

No. That's your opinion, not fact. 

I think Christie and Armstrong are pretty similar. Whoever is better at keeping possession will get the nod. 

Against Spain we need our most solid midfield. McTominay is probably in that ahead of Jack or Mcgregor.

McGregor and McGinn are the two must picks. They are in every single Scotland team if fit. Ahead of anyone else. 

I think we need to learn to expect that kind of game under Clarke against dross. We skooshed it for about 75 minutes, had a 10-minute wobble where he changed formation at least once then got the goals we deserved. Hanley and McGregor were excellent, and Porteous and Robertson were probs next best despite a couple of poor moments. 

I don't think the 3-4-3 was particularly good as it either left us too exposed to counters or not in the best position to pick up second balls, and the two 10s didn't have their best games. Jack was fine but there were moments when we could've done with (a fit) Gilmour speeding things up and being a bit more adventurous. Some of our play was really fluid but too slow/safe on the ball. Ultimately, that helped us control the game more but maybe we could've been in a position where we didn't need to be so determined to control, if that makes sense. 

Those criticising Jack starting must be new fans or they slept through the qualifiers for Euro 2020/2021 where Jack was excellent. Scotland improved under Clarke when Jack was settled in midfield and we missed him at the tournament. I think he does a lot more grafting than McTominay and whereas the latter is the better player, he is not always the best option as a holding midfielder for us. 

As for Armstrong, in and out the game but I thought he did well for his usual 65 mins or so he is contractually required to stay on the park for club and country if he starts. Just seems to offer that something a bit different. It is almost like you could easily give him and Christie 45 mins each for every game in going forward. I like them both - in terms of skill and tracking back. But both can be anonymous depending on the beat of the game. 

I really liked Ryan Jack 2-3 years ago and would of always had him starting for Scotland but Mctominay looks infinitely better than him nowadays. Jack just doesn’t looks anywhere near as mobile probably due to his injuries. Mctominay has to start against Spain 

Christie has to start also. Stuart Armstrong is one those “nearly” type players where you think he’s about produce something great until he loses the ball the cheaply or just misses a big chance in front of goal. My opinion of him Probably hasn’t recovered since that England game where he didn’t blast the ball away tbh 🤣