Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

19 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I have managed to secure a #brief for this game.  My first Scotland game since the tie against Latvia in 2001.

I have a bad feeling about this.  2-0 Cyprus.

'A Brief' is marvellous terminology. Transports me back to days of Alex 'Candid' Cameron, John Mackenzie 'The Voice of Football' , 'Custodians' between the posts, 'Pivots' wearing the Number 5 jersey, Dunfermline Athletic as a force in European football and Scotland beating Cyprus 8-0 at Hampden.  Happier times !

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

And we beat them fairly comfortable at Hampden.  That game in Kazakhstan was a failure, lying solely at the door of McLeish.

I remember only half paying attention to that game in the pub but did we not make quite heavy work of that game? They were winning at half-time.

22 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I remember only half paying attention to that game in the pub but did we not make quite heavy work of that game? They were winning at half-time.

Our superior quality shone through in the end.  Probably because Clarke set us up to win.

15 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I've bought tickets tonight for this for myself and my son. Will be his first Scotland game and first time at Hampden. We're in the South Stand

Never thought I would ever find myself saying this to a Falkirk fan, but enjoy the game and I hope the wee man loves every minute of being at Hampden and cheering on the national side as mines does. We sit in the South Stand as well and look forward to all our trips

3 hours ago, jagfox said:

The last three head to heads with Cyprus, have resulted in a Scotland 2-1 win.

It's actually four. There were the two in Euro 2020 qualifying, a friendly in 2011 and the home qualifier for Italia 90. 

Cracking goal from Mo Johnston in the 89 game. 

That was two months after it took a very, very late Richard Gough header to beat them 3-2 in Cyprus. I watched that game in a hospital day room after having my appendix removed the day before. Cyprus went 2-1 up and I immediately threw up on the floor so I can legitimately say I've literally been sick while watching Scotland play. I almost burst my stitches when Gough powered in the winning goal.

We have a ton of options going into the Cyprus game. Thought I'd toss out a few alternatives that we might see during the game. I think Robertson and Tierney will both start the game, same with McGinn, McGregor, Adams and Hanley so that is 6/11 right there. The key for me is that we have great options should we want to change approach for whatever reason.

Shape.thumb.png.95413af960e84d6bd91a1b3fc4b9e8ab.png

47 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

As long as we win, I don't care about the performance. History has shown us that often we can have a great performance followed by awful and vice versa. I almost think that if we scrape a win, the players might go into the Spain match with a point to prove.

Totally agree there are no easy games in workd football these days,all the smaller countries are improving 

Would be great to put in a serious performance and set the standard straight from the onset

But would rather have the three points and shit house it than not to get the three points at all

Or play well and have a mare in front off goal and drop points

Edited by General dissaray

47 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

We have a ton of options going into the Cyprus game. Thought I'd toss out a few alternatives that we might see during the game. I think Robertson and Tierney will both start the game, same with McGinn, McGregor, Adams and Hanley so that is 6/11 right there. The key for me is that we have great options should we want to change approach for whatever reason.

Shape.thumb.png.95413af960e84d6bd91a1b3fc4b9e8ab.png

I would think Armstrong and Christie are likely to start too. As you say, plenty of options.

On 21/03/2023 at 21:14, FK1Bairn said:

I've bought tickets tonight for this for myself and my son. Will be his first Scotland game and first time at Hampden. We're in the South Stand

I have no memory of the last Scotland game I was at, was possibly the friendly v Argentina when Diego Maradona was the manager of Argentina and Terry Butcher was Assistant Manager to George Burley? 

Will be delighted with a Scotland win and a good atmosphere

It’s my son’s first Scotland game as well and he’s absolutely buzzing. I’ve only seen a few Scotland games myself, and never at Hampden, so it’s a big day for both of us. Hope we’re all smiling come 4 o’clock on Saturday. 

Edited by Brian Graham’s Lovely Hair

7 hours ago, jagfox said:

I would think Armstrong and Christie are likely to start too. As you say, plenty of options.

Christie blazes to many shots over the bar,he needs to relax and get his head over the ball and breathe it isn't as if he hasn't the technique to get more on target and make the goalie work he gets himself into good posistions to shoot but skies them,needs to play more for his club to or get a move somewhere were he does Italy would be a good league for him more time on the ball than in the EPL