Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep Robertson had 2 assists today but in the 2nd half some of his crossing was awful.

Still thought he played well though.

Aye, his overall performance was great. I was just wondering if his crossing was as poor with Liverpool in a ratio sense. As I said, I don't watch Liverpool games. 

18 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep Robertson had 2 assists today but in the 2nd half some of his crossing was awful.

Still thought he played well though.

Robertson had a strange game for me.

Defensively sound, not too much to do. The switching between him and Tierney to go LWB or LCB worked well.

Apart from his assists, he put several tasty crosses across the six yard box - particularly in the second half - which merited far better anticipation from those that are supposedly playing further up the park than he is.

However his corners - apart from the very first one - were absolutely howling all afternoon. I'll put it down to something worked on in training not translating properly into a game scenario.

Anyway, happy with any Scotland 3-0 win, so every praise to the players and the management team for that!!

Thought Robertson was the best player on the park by a mile today. 2 assists and laid a couple more on a plate. Can't do any more when the ball is rolled along the six yard box begging for a tap-in, twice that happened. There were a couple of overhit crosses and corners weren't the best but the linkup play with Tierney and Armstrong was superb

Genuinely don't know what people are watching

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Debatable.

I maintain that it wasn't fanciful to hope for more of the '78 squad than it delivered.  Otherwise, qualifying was good and with better luck we might have got quite far.  

I really don't think any meaningful parallels with modern Croatia sides can be traced though.

They've had some excellent players but have also punched well above their weight.  We never have

Veteran newspaper men like Chick Young are forever indulging themselves with fantastical notions about how great Scotland were between the 1960s-1980s.

In reality, we've never had a team that was capable of performing to a high standard consistently away from Hampden.

Consequently, we've never progressed beyond the opening groups stages in a finals tournament.

It was just our luck that on the one occasion when the tournament finals did come to Hampden there was a restricted capacity (although there's an argument to say that we would have never reached Euro 2020 had Covid not intervened).

The 1996 European Championships and the 1966 World Cup should've been opportunities for us to put in a real challenge but alas one was lost thanks to Uri Geller and the other we didn't even reach.

I think the 1996 European Championships, moreso than the 1974 World Cup, remains our best ever finals tournament.

Let's hope we can amend that in 2024.

Never understand why people constantly want to criticise Ryan Jack as well. He's a far better 6 than Mctominay who is not quite as good at the simple stuff. I'm fairly sure we will see Jack and McGregor line up again v Spain - in actual fact the games we're expected to win suit McTominay more whereas v Spain we'll need to be able to hold onto the ball under pressure more than anything else

8 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Never understand why people constantly want to criticise Ryan Jack as well. He's a far better 6 than Mctominay who is not quite as good at the simple stuff. I'm fairly sure we will see Jack and McGregor line up again v Spain - in actual fact the games we're expected to win suit McTominay more whereas v Spain we'll need to be able to hold onto the ball under pressure more than anything else

Ryan Jack’s da found.

25 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Thought Robertson was the best player on the park by a mile today. 2 assists and laid a couple more on a plate. Can't do any more when the ball is rolled along the six yard box begging for a tap-in, twice that happened. There were a couple of overhit crosses and corners weren't the best but the linkup play with Tierney and Armstrong was superb

Genuinely don't know what people are watching

Yes I thought Robertson was very good today. His corners were awful.  There were probably more than a couple of overhit crosses but agree some of his link up play with Tierney and Armstrong especially first half was very good. I made the same point around the negativity towards Armstrong who I thought was comfortably our best player in the first half.

31 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think the 1996 European Championships, moreso than the 1974 World Cup, remains our best ever finals tournament.

The tournament where we scored a grand total of one goal?

Worth noting that Robertson often has far more time on the ball to put in a cross when playing for Liverpool and also that Liverpool have far more men forward to get on the end of such balls.

If he had put in a couple of the balls he did today for Liverpool then I reckon they'd have been put in the net.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Worth noting that Robertson often has far more on the ball to put in a cross when playing for Liverpool and also that Liverpool have far more men forward to get on the end of such balls.

If he had put in a couple of the balls he did today for Liverpool then I reckon they'd have been put in the net.

If only the guys he played with were as good as him

doh! 

We won 3-0 and played most of it like a training game. Not bad.

Spain smashed Norway 3-0 earlier as well. A decent day in the group for us.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Scored early, kept the ball for most of the game as they do, but nearly got stung by a few missed Norway chances.

Got the second, relaxed a bit and got a third soon after.

We can get 4 points of both IMO.

4? Pessimistic 

Shows how far we have come when a 3-0 win still conjures grumbles of discontent from a few.

Agree parts of the game were a bit flat, however i don't think we were in any danger of dropping points at any stage, including Cyprus' 10 min spell on the offensive.

Actually thought Armstrong was one of our best players today, certainly involved in most of our attacking play before he went off. 

I really hope we give it a go on Tuesday. Christie should probably get the nod in the supporting role. Without sounding overly optimistic, we should give it our best shot to top this group. Not saying it will happen, but I don't think its entirely unattainable. 3rd place is also completely feasible as well! As always, we live in hope!

5 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Calllum, in this.

"If I had to make one Scotland appearance, that would've been enough for me".

Would have been enough for me as well mate, but my debut would have lasted <1 minute before I got subbed off.

But take a bow for the 50. It's no wonder you and John McGinn are first picks.

It's been a joy to watch him for Scotland the past couple of years. Since Serbia, he's proven himself to be the guy you can rely on to turn up in the big games. 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Might well be biased here but Gogic was the best player on the park for my money.

It was his challenge on Adams that led to the Scotland player’s withdrawal through injury.

Boo Alex!

Glad to see Gogic taken off early. We have a big game coming up against Livingston.

8 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I have to confess my friends and I hadn’t realised who he was during the match but we were talking about how well he was playing. He was their best player today. 

He’s played in Scotland for Hamilton, Hibs and St Mirren since 2017. 

No excuse! 😂 

4 hours ago, Pie on a Roll said:

Actually thought Armstrong was one of our best players today, certainly involved in most of our attacking play before he went off.

Agree, I think with McTominey and Christie coming on and playing well,it gives Clarke a good headache. 
It's easy to say the guys that came on should start on Tuesday,the passive aggressive approach will not work against Spain imo. we need to be in their faces,I didn't think there was a need to have Jack and McGregor in this game but it duz allow players like Armstrong to have more space to hurt the opposition.