Scotland v Cyprus 25/03/23

TheScarf

I have managed to secure a #brief for this game.  My first Scotland game since the tie against Latvia in 2001.

I have a bad feeling about this.  2-0 Cyprus.

I made a mess and booked this weekend (golfing) in St Andrews despite having tickets for the Cyprus Game !! Totally forgot about the Scotland game 🤷‍♂️😡.

I have two tickets. A Senior and Adult for South Stand Lower Section I3 Row QQ. Decent enough seats. Looking for face value £30 for Adult and £20 for Senior. Will sell together or separately. 

Cheers 

Must win or we can forget about top two realistically.

We will win, Cyprus are rubbish, they finished bottom of their recent nations league, below Northern Ireland. Their last competitive game was a 5-1 defeat, to Kosovo.

I’ll go for a similar scoreline here, in the first half. 

Gunn

McTominay - Porteous - Tierney

Hickey - Ferguson - McGregor - Robertson

McGinn

Dykes - Adams 

The CB injury crisis likely means a back three with McSauce and Tierney on the outside. Ferguson preferred over Gilmour on form. I know Dykes and Adams hasn’t always worked but that’s typically been the case in games against evenly matched teams who dominate us in midfield. I don’t see that being the issue against Cyprus who will play a low block and park the bus to try and get a 0-0. Best way to unlock that is getting plenty of crosses into the box so it’s a game to play the front two IMO 

Edited by Donathan

I've bought tickets tonight for this for myself and my son. Will be his first Scotland game and first time at Hampden. We're in the South Stand

I have no memory of the last Scotland game I was at, was possibly the friendly v Argentina when Diego Maradona was the manager of Argentina and Terry Butcher was Assistant Manager to George Burley? 

Will be delighted with a Scotland win and a good atmosphere

4 years to the day from the horror in Astana. You don't get the same fear under the current coach. 

Might not be pretty, but hoping for a comfortable 2-0 win.

Adams and Armstrong.

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1679441127823.thumb.jpg.c314a333f51a279c9f8002925636b5a7.jpg

Sorry Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Callum McGregor set to win cap number 50 if he plays against Cyprus on Saturday. Brilliant wee player.

He is a credit to himself and to his club and he is a credit to his country. Every time you pick him he is there. He plays almost every minute of every game for Celtic, he plays almost every minute of every game for us. He is just very, very consistent. His quality is good. He is low maintenance, high quality. He is a manager’s dream.

He was always captain material Callum to be honest. He was always very assured. He speaks well in the group. He doesn’t speak all the time, but when he speaks everybody listens which is a really good trait to have. Callum has won quite a lot of caps in a reasonably short space of time. It was Malky (Mackay) who capped him first (in a friendly against the Netherlands at Pittodrie in 2017). It wasn’t that long ago that he got his first cap and now he is approaching 50.

Steve Clarke

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23386807.steve-clarke-hails-callum-mcgregor-celtic-captain-nears-50th-cap/

It will be a proud moment of course. Every time you represent the national team is a proud day and to make my 50th appearance is something I’m really happy about. A lot of hard work, dedication and sacrifice has gone into that. So, it will be a nice little milestone if I’m selected to play. Like any young footballer you have to bide your time and wait your turn.

The group in front of me were all really good players and the manager trusted his squad. You just have to be there, train as hard as you can and force your way in at the right time. Sometimes you have to be patient, but I was always desperate to get in. And once I got in, I was desperate to stay there and rack up as many appearances as I could.

Callum McGregor

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/23395911.mcgregor-celtic-similarities-scotland-ryan-jacks-return/

9 hours ago, jagfox said:

Shinniesta at left back and David Bates...McCleish...

Are You Insane GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm 

I liked it when all McLeish's pals in the media said that Kazakhstan were a good team on the rise. 

Their only other wins in that group were against the football powerhouse of San Marino. 

13 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I liked it when all McLeish's pals in the media said that Kazakhstan were a good team on the rise. 

Their only other wins in that group were against the football powerhouse of San Marino. 

And we beat them fairly comfortable at Hampden.  That game in Kazakhstan was a failure, lying solely at the door of McLeish.