Clyde vs Airdrie 24/03/2023

58 minutes ago, TamClyde said:

What amazes me still is that somehow, Peterhead are still worse than us. I really can't comprehend that there is a team that is and has been worse than us all season. 

You are miles better than Peterhead for sure.  Yeah, Clyde have to start picking up some points at home but I’m confident you’ll have a much better record than them in the last few games. We were clinical and Clyde shat the bed in front of goal and had a thing for shooting from range?? Weird.  

33 minutes ago, Johnny Worm said:

You’ll still shite it in the play offs

Thing is there’s no expectation of us going up this season. Last season we were expecting to get past a Montrose and Queens Park that finished double figures points behind us in the league.

Would be funny if we did it to Falkirk this season though.

Thought we played decent tonight but seemed to be a bit nervy when Clyde pushed forward, especially in the first 20-25 mins.  Very good goals all round, shocked Gal didn’t get one.  Agree with Devenney and Friz getting the plaudits, they were awesome.  Gabby with a brace, the boy is in fire.  For the most part we won because we were more clinical and put in a mature performance. Very controlled and exactly what you need at this stage of the season.  I think the Dunfermline game has only had a good effect on the team and they seem to have come out of that rough patch head and shoulders above everyone else in the league.  Most in form team in Scotland?  Last 3 games, 18 goals for and 2 against - 9 points picked up 

51 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Aye, I’d agree with this. Airdrie absolutely deserved the win but felt like every shot on target went in. I don’t think we necessarily played worse than normal tonight tbh, we’re just fucking shite and invariably we‘ll be on the end of a few hidings. 

Just get us down now. The fact we could, in theory, stay up this season is remarkable. If there was ever an advert for two up, two down it’s this league. 

Wasn't much in the game in general play but football is won and lost in the two boxes and Clyde are abysmal defensively and have no threat up front, which is clearly a recipe for disaster.

We said we needed 3 wins from the last 3 and have done so in incredible fashion. The goals have also effectively given us a other point as there's no way Alloa or Edinburgh would catch our goal difference now. The real fixtures start from now on though and that's where we'll see what we're made of.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

The frustrating thing with Airdrie's goals is that we wouldn't have scored the first four. We can't get a shot from distance to go anywhere near the target, we don't get players in the box. He had his limitations and we probably didn't have much choice, but losing Allan is costing us big time. Not sure Falkirk or he have gained much from it either.

The players tried hard tonight but Sula was dreadful for four of the goals and we don't hit the target anywhere near enough when in some good positions. Cuddihy, Roberts and Salkeld played well, they should be our midfield trio moving forward. The drop-off when Scullion came on was staggering.

Doherty has to be one of the most frustrating players we have had in some time. Some wee flashes where he looks decent, and hes certainly physically capable, but he spends most of the game looking like he's never played football before; he takes the ball in then doesn't ever release it.

Airdrie are going to beat Falkirk in the playoffs, then lose the final to Edinburgh. Written in the stars.

Edited by David W

Think Clyde proved to be a difficult team to break down despite the score line. They are definitely better than Peterhead and I can see them hanging on in the playoffs. 

Thought we were generally out-fought tonight and struggled with the physical side of the game in spells but taking your chances is what counts. 

We opted for the infuriating long ball option tonight. We play so much better through the middle with Frizz and Deveney.

Not a classic but I’m happy!

I had gone for a 3-0 Diamond win so I'm delighted to get even more.

As others have said Clyde were more active against us than Peterhead and it's the absence of quality strikers that did for them tonight, in those spells where they threatened our defence. 

Being at the away end made it difficult to see what happened at our third goal but that did seem to settle us for a comfortable second half, and being right in front of me it was a delight to see Frizzel and Smith score good goals. 

We're always nervous when we concede after scoring first and Devenney scored a cracker to restore the lead.

Obviously Clyde fans can see the weaknesses in their side and management but I thought several players put in a real effort for about an hour. Although Clyde are now unable to escape the bottom two slots, maybe it's not yet a goner.

The other results tonight were interesting to say the least. What have Queens got over Edinburgh whatever, that we lack?

On to Alloa in good mood.

1 hour ago, bullyweehutch said:

I bought a season ticket haven't been back since Thicots disaster game. Unless this board is gone there is no fucking chance I'm spending my own money on one next year. This board couldn't run a bath

Same along with all the add ons. Can be put to better use. Not saying I won't take in a few matches of my choosing but zero upfront investment here.

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

Peterhead are worse than you by a considerable distance as well, which is even more astonishing. I thought Clyde weren't much worse than us for large parts tonight, we took most of our chances though.

On another note, get it up Kyle Doherty. Total fud.

His family will hunt you down for that after their antics last weekend when one of his own fans called him a useless cnut 🤣

12 minutes ago, Scotchpie said:

His family will hunt you down for that after their antics last weekend when one of his own fans called him a useless cnut 🤣

It was bizarre behaviour after his goal - shooshing fans who had no clue who he was and hadn't uttered a peep towards him or any Clyde player in the 10 minutes that had been played.

His 2 goals this season have sure shut up his critics... 

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It was bizarre behaviour after his goal - shooshing fans who had no clue who he was and hadn't uttered a peep towards him or any Clyde player in the 10 minutes that had been played.

His 2 goals this season have sure shut up his critics... 

This 👆

I turned to my brother in law and said "I have no clue who that even is" 

Bizarre, he got to feel righteous for 4 minutes then we were back in front. Pleasing. 

What a goon. 

10 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This 👆

I turned to my brother in law and said "I have no clue who that even is" 

Bizarre, he got to feel righteous for 4 minutes then we were back in front. Pleasing. 

What a goon. 

Total fud. Not sure whether someone primed him when he was with Albion Rovers that we were "the enemy" from 2 miles up the road, or his time at Kelty where he was conditioned to despise any team from the west of Scotland, or maybe since he's landed at Clyde his teammates have told him we are indeed North Lanarkshire's finest! Odd behaviour for a two Bob bit nobody! 😩 

A comfortable 5 1 drubbing of our old foes,  or was it,  scoreline yes,   performance no,  First half Clyde knocked he ball about well in midfield, with Rennie and Salkeld causing Airdrie problems,   Airdrie go in 3 1 up, The first should never have happened, centre half taking Smith out rather than go for the ball, good finish by Gabby,  Devenney strolled around the midfield all game a fine 2nd goal and Gabby getting his second with a tap on after the ball was failed to clear.....  Airdrie too plan it seems went long a lot in the first half and it suited Clyde,  

second Half was a different story Airdrie got the ball down, short simple passing seemed to rip the heart and energy out of Clyde,  a Frizz cracker and a really good finish by Smith who really makes us tick in forward areas...

best for Airdrie were Fordyce, Devenney, and Smith,   Clyde have something to work on,  notably fitness and Duffy really has to be brave now,  the 2 centre Half s are atrocious , hopelessly inconsistent during the game, one of Airdries straits is passing it out from the back Fordyce and McCabe stepped forward and did this all second half,  Clydes were shanks out the park and more interested in leaving one on the striker, real old skool junior stuff....

Airdries season starts now really a 6 game shoot out,  can we sneak the playoffs,  Edinburgh 3 back now, although they have played Dunfermline and still have Peter head and I think Clyde to play still,  it's far from over..

good luck to Clyde ,  can Duffy keep you up,  if you get to the playoffs,   remember why he is there,  it's in his dna..

Admittedly not seen Neil Parry much in recent years, but he looks a shadow of the keeper he was. Around 4-5 years ago he'd have saved 2 or 3 of our goals. I can't remember seeing a more resigned looking keeper.

Always been one of the best keepers in the league, letting him go to replace him with Ferguson a few years ago was lunacy and probably cost us promotion the following year. Doing well to still be playing at that age but he looks pretty done to me.

15 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

You are miles better than Peterhead for sure.  Yeah, Clyde have to start picking up some points at home but I’m confident you’ll have a much better record than them in the last few games. We were clinical and Clyde shat the bed in front of goal and had a thing for shooting from range?? Weird.  

Aye manager thought Clyde were best team first half ,last night was the difference last year ,we scored most of our chances ,last season we could not put the ball in the net ,you can see the difference a bit of confidence has on our players,

Just struck by the difference between us v Aidrie and the corresponding fixture last year.

In 22 we were hammered by a silky Airdrie on a typically freezing Broadwood night, however even that shitey Clyde squad fought to the end and we stole a 2 2 draw with Tade making the scoresheet. 

On Friday, well 1st half anyway, Airdrie looked more ordinary. We flattered to deceive as usual, but after their slightly farcical 3rd, we were done. We are not only shot-shy up front but both powder-puff and accident prone at the back. 

Either Airdrie have powered on, despite a sizable turnover at the end of last season or we have gone from poor to dismal...or maybe both?

21 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Just struck by the difference between us v Aidrie and the corresponding fixture last year.

In 22 we were hammered by a silky Airdrie on a typically freezing Broadwood night, however even that shitey Clyde squad fought to the end and we stole a 2 2 draw with Tade making the scoresheet. 

I thought it was Jones and Mortimer (2 other jobbers) that scored in that game. Jordan Allan scored for Airdrie too I think

Thought Parry could’ve stopped the second going in, there are countless times this season of him making a save but the follow up goes in. This team chucked it a long time ago, the fact we have to go through at least another 6 games is torture for all involved. 

On 25/03/2023 at 10:29, Diamonds Are Red said:

Total fud. Not sure whether someone primed him when he was with Albion Rovers that we were "the enemy" from 2 miles up the road, or his time at Kelty where he was conditioned to despise any team from the west of Scotland, or maybe since he's landed at Clyde his teammates have told him we are indeed North Lanarkshire's finest! Odd behaviour for a two Bob bit nobody! 😩 

Thought it might have been something to do with Rico now being a team-mate. But yes, very odd behaviour from a complete non-entity. 

On 25/03/2023 at 10:52, Diamonds are Forever said:

Admittedly not seen Neil Parry much in recent years, but he looks a shadow of the keeper he was. Around 4-5 years ago he'd have saved 2 or 3 of our goals. I can't remember seeing a more resigned looking keeper.

Always been one of the best keepers in the league, letting him go to replace him with Ferguson a few years ago was lunacy and probably cost us promotion the following year. Doing well to still be playing at that age but he looks pretty done to me.

As an Airdrie fan growing up, he's been due to chuck in a few against us IMO.